Thread: State of the Union Address: What are your thoughts on the comment below?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

State of the Union Address: What are your thoughts on the comment below?

Not sure if any of you missed it but during tonights SOTU Address our President made a very quick comment making reference to the "National Wireless Initiative:"

"Within the next five years, we will make it possible for business to deploy the next generation of high-speed wireless coverage to 98% of all Americans. This isn't just about a faster Internet and fewer dropped calls. It's about connecting every part of America to the digital age."

He further went on to say:

"It's about a rural community in Iowa or Alabama where farmers and small business owners will be able to sell their products all over the world. It's about a firefighter who can download the design of a burning building onto a handheld device; a student who can take classes with a digital textbook; or a patient who can have face-to-face video chats with her doctor."

What are your thoughts on how such an initiative would benefit T-Mobile USA? Anyone have any details on the National Wireless Initiative?

Please keep comments non inflammatory and focused on wireless.

Feedback Score
    It's easier to talk than to do. The US is so geographically large that it's very difficult to offer coverage for everyone. We always complain how European countries or Japan have amazing coverage + speed, but their countries are only 1/4th of the size! It seems like such a daunting task so I'm going to remain skeptical

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Nexus One: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us; ElocityA7) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

I think most of major cities coverage in Europe and Asia is like NYC.
    But if T-Mobile is able to get nationwide 700 license (at least 10MHz), please reserve it for LTE-A.

Optimum/Cablevision

Device(s)
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So that means an AWS expansion and another 700mhz band auction. Cool. He only said that he'd make it possible for businesses within the next 5 years. Not that it would be deployed within 5 years.

^ TMO LTE ^---------------|------St Louis-------|----------------^ ATT LTE ^

Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    With 90% saturation here in the US wireless carriers are already looking for other ways to use their networks. For example, it's estimated that that more than half of all premium vehicles in the U.S. will support apps by 2013, with half of all mass market cars supporting the technology within 3 years thereafter.

The government must realize that network expansion falls on them first and that's a good thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nexus14 View Post
    It's easier to talk than to do. The US is so geographically large that it's very difficult to offer coverage for everyone. We always complain how European countries or Japan have amazing coverage + speed, but their countries are only 1/4th of the size! It seems like such a daunting task so I'm going to remain skeptical
    Difficult but not impossible; in fact it is doable. And necessary, and probably irresponsible not to move forward with true nationwide coverage. Without this, there will always be a fudge-factor in calling a network "nationwide"

And not only is it doable, it is being done. There are very recently large stretches of the central US, an area with lots of farms and low fixed "population", being covered by a grid of Band 71 T-Mobile towers.

As for Danny's question, whether or not it would benefit T-Mobile would depend on if the President followed through, and nudged corporate welfare money/sweet contracts T-Mobile's way as part of this (like AT&T got with FirstNet)

A map of the some of the new towers and containing link are shown below:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com..._map_12202017/

Name:  nebraska.png
Views: 250
Size:  1.11 MB
    "There is never a need to bash people with disabilities, or racial groups, or ethnic groups, or engage in any other sort of bigoted attacks in Howard Forums. Refrain from doing so not just to keep moderators happy, but in order to be a decent human being."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    With 90% saturation here in the US wireless carriers are....
    90% saturation? What does that mean?

Feedback Score
    Coverage expansion from 2011 to now has been incremental. If there was a way to make a profit covering dirt, rocks, cows and corn quickly, then the carriers would have done it by now.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    I saw somewhere the President wants to nationalize 5G. Basically the govt owning the spectrum. Not sure how that would work in conjunction with private telecoms. We know from history private companies will buildout congested urban areas first and neglect sparsely populated rural areas, although the distance and range of 5G should cover a larger swath than 4G.
    Cheap calling cards now available! Click here!

Feedback Score
    I hope that is not one of those "it's all two-horse towns and cows between LA and NY" opinions!

But truth be told, there's a lot of people where there's ....

....cows (Lancaster Amish farm country, 8+ million annual visitors: http://www.discoverlancaster.com/tou...statistics.asp )
    ....dirt (a mudpit known as "Crater of Diamonds", 170,000 annual visitors: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...onds-43575867/ )
    ....rocks ("Garden of the Gods", 2 million annual visitors: https://www.visitcos.com/things-to-d...the-gods-park/ )
    ....corn (various "Charlie Brown" corn mazes, 2 million annual visitors: http://www.poppellfarms.com/good-gri...charlie-brown/ )

People want their network to "just work" where they go, and the territory found in the lower 48 where people... usually large numbers of them...never go is really quite small.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I hope that is not one of those "it's all two-horse towns and cows between LA and NY" opinions!

But truth be told, there's a lot of people where there's ....

....cows (Lancaster Amish farm country, 8+ million annual visitors: http://www.discoverlancaster.com/tou...statistics.asp )
    ....dirt (a mudpit known as "Crater of Diamonds", 170,000 annual visitors: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...onds-43575867/ )
    ....rocks ("Garden of the Gods", 2 million annual visitors: https://www.visitcos.com/things-to-d...the-gods-park/ )
    ....corn (various "Charlie Brown" corn mazes, 2 million annual visitors: http://www.poppellfarms.com/good-gri...charlie-brown/ )

People want their network to "just work" where they go, and the territory found in the lower 48 where people... usually large numbers of them...never go is really quite small.
    Nah, I want to see better coverage including where I travel between towns. I live in the densely populated mid-Atlantic region and there are still too many gaps.

Just pointing out that the profits are not there for the carriers to make it a priority vs major metro areas and major highways.

Feedback Score
    If that were true then Sprint would be just as profitable as Verizon and AT&T. Sprint covers the "major metro areas and major highways" pretty well. The difference is that Verizon and AT&T also cover much more of the other areas. So which ones are raking in the profits and getting the customers? Is it Sprint? Or is it Verizon and AT&T?

And then in between there's T-Mobile, which gets more and more successful, with more and more customers, the more they expand their coverage beyond just major highways and just major metro areas.

But yes I agree that those Mid-Atlantic area gaps should be filled too :-)

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No wonder I never see a Band 12 signal, even though it is listed for my local towers.

If they ever light it up, I should see a significant improvement.

Right now I am dragging my feet on switching, but this could push me over the edge. (if they light it up)

Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    90% saturation? What does that mean?
    That post from 2011 meant the 90% of Americans owned a cell phone. I wonder what that number is today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Waste of money in my opinion. We should wait and see how OneWeb and SpaceX constellations pans out before spending billions of taxpayer money.