Thread: choosing a new phone for my mom

Device(s)
    LG Chocolate 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

choosing a new phone for my mom

My mom asked me to pick out a new phone for her. She doesn't care to have a smart phone. VZW doesn't have too many choices. I think she might like to have a music player so I'm looking for that feature.

I guess I'm going to choose between the zeal and the convoy. Any opinions or recommendations would be appreciated.

She does text but not too much as far as I know. She won't use push to talk.

I like that the convoy (i think) uses USB so adding music will be easier and charging is more universal. According to the VZW site the convoy has better battery life. Any ideas if these are true?

Thanks so much for any help.

PS if you think i'm looking at the wrong phones and should be considering something else please let me know.

Device(s)
    LG Clout vx8370;
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
    I like that the convoy (i think) uses USB so adding music will be easier and charging is more universal.
    To connect the Zeal/Alias 2 to a computer's USB port to transfer pictures/music/video, you would need a Samsung accessory that Samsung calls a "USB data cable" -- one end of the cable is a USB connector and the other end of the cable connects to the propietary connector on the Zeal/Alias 2. One retailer's website sells it for $ 10

Regarding being able to connect the Convoy to a computer's USB port to recharge the Convoy, have you verified this ability from customer reviews ? I ask because the manual for the Convoy didn't appear to me to list this as a feature; it seemed to explain only how to plug the charger into a wall socket.

Also, since the Convoy and the Alias 2 let you insert a memory card, you could ...
    - buy a memory card reader,
    - use the memory card reader and your computer to transfer pics/music/video to the memory card,
    - (re-)insert the memory card into the phone

Based on customer reviews, there is a big difference in battery life between the two phones. My conclusion is that you can expect an average battery life of ~ 2 days [+/- a day depending on usage] for the Alias 2; there is an extended battery and an extended battery door available for the Zeal/Alias 2. Depending on what your mother's day-to-day travels and needs are, maybe it could be important to her to have a phone like the Convoy with a super long battery life.

Now that you've narrowed the choices to these two, I think it would make things easier if you could bring her to a Verizon corporate store for her to see if certain physical features of the two phones stand out for her [e.g., are the keyboard keys easy to press and easy to see; is the screen easy to read; is the phone comfortable to hold, etc]

Because the Zeal and the Convoy are the two phones that you narrowed your choices down to, the only comparable quality phone that I can think of is the LG Clout which was recently discontinued but might still be available at stores that sell Verizon phones [it was never sold at Verizon corporate stores].

However, no one has reported what kind of physical abuse the LG Clout can take; by comparison at Verizon's website a lot of the customer reviews comment on how well the Convoy has survived accidental physical abuse.
    (1) "Tutorial: Making Album Art Work (Most LG phones)" (link)
    (2) "MP3's ! They are RINGTONES / A Quick howto using Audacity" (link)

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
    My mom asked me to pick out a new phone for her. She doesn't care to have a smart phone. VZW doesn't have too many choices. I think she might like to have a music player so I'm looking for that feature.

I guess I'm going to choose between the zeal and the convoy. Any opinions or recommendations would be appreciated.

She does text but not too much as far as I know. She won't use push to talk.

I like that the convoy (i think) uses USB so adding music will be easier and charging is more universal. According to the VZW site the convoy has better battery life. Any ideas if these are true?

PS if you think i'm looking at the wrong phones and should be considering something else please let me know.
    I just bought the Convoy so I can vouch for that. If she prefers a flip, I don't think she can go wrong. It is bigger than most; I got the snap-on cover which makes it bigger still but the size gives many advantages, too. If she can handle the size, she can't go wrong with the Convoy. I had the LG VX8350 before. Music works great, T9 texting works great, adjustable fonts, USB transfers and charging, neat detachable charger head, best battery life phone they have. Themes aren't too great-only one decent one out of three.

The Zeal may still be in stores but it is not on the website now. Online saves you hassle. I've read favorable comments on the Clout here on HoFo but it was never available online. If she's looking for a touch screen, she needs to test them personally, and you should read the reviews. They seem to be problematic.

If she's eligible for NE2, she should be able to get the Convoy free online. I did and it was only for a secondary line upgrade. It is also the highest rated feature phone on the website.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    I just bought the Convoy

If she's eligible for NE2, she should be able to get the Convoy free online. I did and it was only for a secondary line upgrade. It is also the highest rated feature phone on the website.
    What is NE2 ?