Thread: HTC Desire: Anyway to increase memory??

Device(s)
    SE K790
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

HTC Desire: Anyway to increase memory??

Hi all

I got the HTC Desire in August and for the most part love it. However, one thing that drives me up the wall is the small internal internal memory that the phone has ... i basically can only install 6-8 apps before I start having to decide which one I should delete.

Anyone else have this problem? What did you did you do to rectify this?

Some possible solutions I'm considering are

1) Install a custom ROM. I have already rooted and flashed the phone with Gingerbread Oxygen RC 7 ... but it seems to also have limited memory problems and now I have boot loops issues. Is there another custom ROM that you guys use to increase memory size?

2) Buy the Desire Z or HD. With 3x the internal memory it seems like it shouldn't have that problem.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated

Device(s)
    Motorola Defy
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    It has limited physical memory so the only option is to root the phone and install apps on a microSDHC card (8GB for $20). Android 2.2 supports apps on SD.

Device(s)
    SE K790
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your response
    Yup. I have moved a lot of my apps to SD card. But there are other apps (ie Widgets) that require it to be on the internal memory.

Device(s)
    Motorola Defy
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Yup, I think HTC screwed the pooch by not putting at least 8GB into the phone.

Device(s)
    HTC Sensation 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Fido - PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, if you are willing to root your phone and install custom ROM's, there is a way to repartition the internal memory. Right now, the system files are taking up 250MB of the 512MB ROM. The rest is taken up by the cache - 40MB and data - 147MB. If you are willing to run a different ROM that is smaller than Android 2.2 w/Sense (such as Cyanogenmod 7), then you can flash a new hboot partition that breaks down like this: System - 130MB; Cache - 5MB; Data - 302MB.

As you can see, there is quite a healthy upgrade to the Data partition, just over double the size. This mod isn't for the faint of heart, I haven't had the need or the nerve to do it myself. If you are interested in seeing what is involved, you can check out this link.

http://alpharev.nl/
    HTC Sensation - CM10
    HTC Desire - *SOLD*
    HTC Magic - CyanogenMod 6.1.0

Device(s)
    HTC Sensation 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Fido - PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry, double post
    Last edited by GLHTC16V; 02-17-2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Double post

Device(s)
    Moto X 2nd Gen Bamboo
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GLHTC16V View Post
    Well, if you are willing to root your phone and install custom ROM's, there is a way to repartition the internal memory. Right now, the system files are taking up 250MB of the 512MB ROM. The rest is taken up by the cache - 40MB and data - 147MB. If you are willing to run a different ROM that is smaller than Android 2.2 w/Sense (such as Cyanogenmod 7), then you can flash a new hboot partition that breaks down like this: System - 130MB; Cache - 5MB; Data - 302MB.

As you can see, there is quite a healthy upgrade to the Data partition, just over double the size. This mod isn't for the faint of heart, I haven't had the need or the nerve to do it myself. If you are interested in seeing what is involved, you can check out this link.

http://alpharev.nl/
    Is this HBOOT mod similar to cMTD partitioning?

I've used cMTD on my Desire CDMA (BravoC) and it works great. It also keeps more apps on the phone memory so they run faster. It doesn't look like HBOOT works on the BravoC, or at least it's not listed if it does.

See here for cMTD: http://www.theultimatedroid.com/foru...-low-on-space/

Device(s)
    HTC Sensation 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Fido - PrePaid
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ii Candor ii View Post
    Is this HBOOT mod similar to cMTD partitioning?

I've used cMTD on my Desire CDMA (BravoC) and it works great. It also keeps more apps on the phone memory so they run faster. It doesn't look like HBOOT works on the BravoC, or at least it's not listed if it does.

See here for cMTD: http://www.theultimatedroid.com/foru...-low-on-space/
    Yup, same thing.

Feedback Score
    yep, buy a microSDHC card to install in your desire is the best and easiest way. 8G, 16G, 4G, anyone is OK, depands on youself.

Device(s)
    Samsung galaxy S advance
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    As the hinglemar said you can easily install and use application in the in the memory card as you install in phone memory because all smart does not provide more internal memory so you have to use memory card for use of more apps.

Feedback Score
    Only external SD Memory Card can help you. You may uninstall unused apps to free up some of your internal memory.

Feedback Score
    I think was the most annoying thing with this phone. At the time it came out though it was one of the best Android phones you could get.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, HTC Desire V
    Feedback Score
    Hey Mach
    HTC has now improved the internal memory of their smartphones, they offer 4 GB memory in their devices.
    Since you owns an old model the best option for you is to root your phone, use cyanogenmod and store apps on SD cards.

Feedback Score
    You can extend HTC Desire internal memory to 2Gb by using CyanogenMod 7 and Data2SD...!!!

Feedback Score
    Use 4ext. Ir increases your internal memory. (sdcard needed)