Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Court overturns Globalive decision

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Federal Court overturns Globalive decision

http://www.financialpost.com/news/Fe...443/story.html

OTTAWA -- A Federal Court judge has quashed the Harper government’s decision to overrule the country’s telecommunication regulator and allow Globalive to launch wireless services in Canada.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy, Ascend
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Wow, I wonder how long this will be in the courts for. If the gov`t has no jurisdiction then Globalive will need to sell!

Feedback Score
    Maybe and maybe finally this will force the government to rid of the antiquated and restrictive telecom investment law and the CRTC altogether.

Guess Public Mobile is at its wits' end. It tries to take Wind Mobile with it before it goes bye-bye. Ironically, it spectrum bidding was largely financed by American money.
    Last edited by qdhd99; 02-04-2011 at 04:28 PM.
    Wind Line 1 - Always Shout + Infinite
    Wind Line 2 - Nice Chat (disconnected, too expensive for occasional uses.)

Feedback Score
    The government either can appeal the decision, introduce a bill to change the antiquated law or simply get rid of the CRTC. Maybe they will do it all, who knows? Either way I no longer have any sympathy for public mobile, I can't wait for them to go under.

Device(s)
    Any
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    1. Wind isn't going to go away, they've invested too much money into the country and created too many jobs for them to just disappear.

2. Yes, all this does show is that the laws governing out telecommunications industry are incredibly outdated and need to change NOW, not after an election, NOW.

I can feel some, SOME pity for CRTC and Judges because they are following these incredibly stupid and oudated laws, but in the end everyone needs to get together and change these laws.

From CBC
    "We believe cabinet's decision is unfair to other wireless carriers, especially new entrants like Public Mobile that have played by the rules and secured substantial Canadian investment," Public Mobile CEO Alek Krstajic said in launching the suit."

Oh yeah? Well Globalive were pretty confident that they were following the rules too, and had a BIGGER Canadian investment then Public.

Again, all this shows is that the LAWS need to change.
    We need to start baggering our MPs and Twittering Clement again! lol

Device(s)
    Motorola Razr HD (XT925)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    1. Wind isn't going to go away, they've invested too much money into the country and created too many jobs for them to just disappear.

2. Yes, all this does show is that the laws governing out telecommunications industry are incredibly outdated and need to change NOW, not after an election, NOW.

I can feel some, SOME pity for CRTC and Judges because they are following these incredibly stupid and oudated laws, but in the end everyone needs to get together and change these laws.

From CBC
    "We believe cabinet's decision is unfair to other wireless carriers, especially new entrants like Public Mobile that have played by the rules and secured substantial Canadian investment," Public Mobile CEO Alek Krstajic said in launching the suit."

Oh yeah? Well Globalive were pretty confident that they were following the rules too, and had a BIGGER Canadian investment then Public.

Again, all this shows is that the LAWS need to change.
    We need to start baggering our MPs and Twittering Clement again! lol
    It is funny that Public's CES is seeming to come out in DEFENCE of Wind, when Public (according to the article) started the law suit.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    These old telecommunication laws really need to change NOW before the upcoming election.

And this is a disgusting lowball move by Public Mobile.

Feedback Score
    I don't think the laws need to change. I think Wind just needs to take steps to move its debt around.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Just tweeted @TonyClement_MP and @WINDmobile. I suggest everyone do the same.
    Formerly FidoFan

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    Yeah, they have invested so much money in this country and created so many jobs, so how do you explain they outsourcing of some of their Customer Service to Egypt and was it the Phillipines? If they were dedicated to Canada like they say they are then they would not outsource any jobs to cheaper locations.

That said, I guess we just have to wait and see what happens next, Wind has their work cut out for them now, it looks like it will be an uphill battle but then again, Clement could surprise us all again and throw us a curveball.

Feedback Score
    Guys, the gambit that Public Mobile made was such that they would be allowed the same rules as WIND. No one thought the courts would even have a good case of ruling against cabinet.

The bigger implication here isn't about Globalive, but about Usage Based Billing. This means that the Federal Government has no powers over the CRTC and cannot compel them to reverse the ruling. That's more dangerous than anything else, since CRTC is populated by Big 3 members. They basically run the show, independent of government oversight.

If anything, it means that the CRTC has to dissolve ASAP. Or have the Telecom rules rewritten.

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    +1 to the dissolution of the CRTC; the rules it functions by cater to an era long past and are hardly relevant to 2011... Here's hoping we have a government that has enough vision to beat the bureaucrats (which is a lot to hope for). At the end of the day globalization is here to stay in spite of all the cute rhetoric. Wind has changed the way we look at cell phone plans and if it took foreign money to make the canadian wireless industry more competitive, so be it....

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanghaiKid View Post
    Yeah, they have invested so much money in this country and created so many jobs, so how do you explain they outsourcing of some of their Customer Service to Egypt and was it the Phillipines? If they were dedicated to Canada like they say they are then they would not outsource any jobs to cheaper locations.

That said, I guess we just have to wait and see what happens next, Wind has their work cut out for them now, it looks like it will be an uphill battle but then again, Clement could surprise us all again and throw us a curveball.
    Wow you are either stupid, ignorant, and/or a troll. Globalive underestimated their need for callcentres, Globalive opened two callcentres here in Canada, one in Windsor, and a contracted one in Peterborough. But it quickly became overcapacitated and they were forced to quickly contract third party callcentres, they are still overcapacitated.

Edit: Lol at my sig, forgotten about it, reference it for the above two posts

Device(s)
    Any
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iridescence View Post
    I don't think the laws need to change. I think Wind just needs to take steps to move its debt around.
    No. The laws need to change. The laws are what put us in this horrible place to begin with. No foreign investment could happen which let Rogers, Bell and Telus just go nuts and create a monopoly when the laws were put in to STOP the Bell monopoly and create competition decades ago.

The laws are what's causing the CRTC to make SOME (not all) of their stupid moronic decisions.

The laws needed to be changes probably when Chretien was PM, but the Liberals were ignorant then and they are now, as with the Cons.

The LAWS need to be updated, how many times has it be proven that ALL laws need to be updated every decade or so to keep up with society?

Carrier(s)
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    If Wind were to close up shop tomorrow does Public Mobile think that they would even get one former Wind subscriber to sign up with them?
    If Wind were to disappear then the biggest winner would be Mobilicity.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast