Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 169

Thread: Federal Court overturns Globalive decision

  1. #46
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary / Honolulu
    Posts
    1,158
    Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by quickinferno View Post
    i never saw the benefits of wind... they never brought any competition. when wind came, telus started raising prices...


    after mobilicity came... everyone else had to lower prices. all we need is mobilicity.
    Fixed it for you.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    186
    Carrier(s)
    WindMobile, Fido,
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by iridescence View Post
    All that needs to happen here is an allowance for more foreign ownership without elimination of the protections that are built in for a reason.
    The fact that we need the protection does not automatically mean CRTC is able (or willing) to do it if Robelus' profit is at stake.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    33
    Feedback Score
    0
    iridescence brings up several good points, however, the biggest problem I see with the CRTC is not its mandate, it's their leadership. The CRTC is filled with executives who have previously worked with companies such as Bell & Rogers. These people still have friends who hold top positions in those companies so it's natural that they will be sympathetic to their concerns. At worst, they have purposely obtained influential positions within the CRTC to do Bell's & Rogers' bidding.

    The UBB issue is totally different than Wind's foreign ownership issue, but it's interesting to note that the CRTC's decision on both issues favours the point of view of the big telecom companies. Forcing wholesale ISP providers to implement UBB would A) create a new revenue stream for Bell by & B) seriously harm wholesalers because they wouldn't be able to offer customers a better deal than Bell.

    The major cell phone providers don't like Wind because they provide customers with a true alternative. Eventually they will attempt to buy out wind, mobilicity & public mobile but if they can eliminate wind without having to buy them out, they would save money. So is it unreasonable to assume that Bell, Rogers & Telus exacted pressure on the CRTC to take action?

    The CRTC doesn't need to be eliminated, it needs to be overhauled. Telecom veterans who have worked for the big telecom companies should not be allowed to run or have influence over the CRTC. Their presence is the problem.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    37
    Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson K700i
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Hamilton View Post
    iridescence brings up several good points, however, the biggest problem I see with the CRTC is not its mandate, it's their leadership. The CRTC is filled with executives who have previously worked with companies such as Bell & Rogers. These people still have friends who hold top positions in those companies so it's natural that they will be sympathetic to their concerns. At worst, they have purposely obtained influential positions within the CRTC to do Bell's & Rogers' bidding.

    The UBB issue is totally different than Wind's foreign ownership issue, but it's interesting to note that the CRTC's decision on both issues favours the point of view of the big telecom companies. Forcing wholesale ISP providers to implement UBB would A) create a new revenue stream for Bell by & B) seriously harm wholesalers because they wouldn't be able to offer customers a better deal than Bell.

    The major cell phone providers don't like Wind because they provide customers with a true alternative. Eventually they will attempt to buy out wind, mobilicity & public mobile but if they can eliminate wind without having to buy them out, they would save money. So is it unreasonable to assume that Bell, Rogers & Telus exacted pressure on the CRTC to take action?

    The CRTC doesn't need to be eliminated, it needs to be overhauled. Telecom veterans who have worked for the big telecom companies should not be allowed to run or have influence over the CRTC. Their presence is the problem.
    You're not focusing on the root cause.

    Sure, the crony capitalism that has created over the years was contributed by the conflict of interest among the board members of the CRTC. However, considering the amount of power that the CRTC gets to wield, any board member would gladly sell themselves out. This is the reason why I am also against the "dissolvethecrtc.ca" petition because the guy who started don't understand the root cause. He is just remaining hopeful that his version of the "CRTC" would have independent members that would not sellout but he doesn't address the existing laws and regulations that the CRTC overseas that has helped perpetuate this crony capitalism.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,551
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedZidaric View Post
    Interesting idea telecom zombie

    For $10,000 capital investment become an "owner" and get unlimited lifetime usage.

    Plus you get dividends or you can sell your shares later and make a profit.

    I would consider buying.
    Would you consider selling as your $10,000 declines and becomes worth $5000? No. The minute you get Canadian owners in a Canadian company, the share-holders will be watching with more scrutiny, the numbers reported, and the volatile market of you losing money as the companies valuation fluctuates.

    Not to say it couldn't make money, but to make money, you need to gain subscribers, lower cost of acquisition per new subscriber, reduce churn, increase ARPU, etc. etc.... Just invest in Rogers/TELUS/Bell.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,785
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    0
    The CRTC does serve a purpose, it shouldn't be dissolved in my opinion. However, it does need to be updated w/ modern mandates + a bigger anti-competition unit and a bigger consumer-centric approach.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Markham, ON
    Posts
    276
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Azol View Post
    Um Windsor is a Globalive Communications/Yak/etc call center

    Wind has:
    Mississauga (corporate call center)
    Peterborough (Teleperformance outsourced)
    Egypt (Teleperformance outsourced)
    Umm, isn't it just what i said

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    65
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skullan View Post
    The CRTC does serve a purpose, it shouldn't be dissolved in my opinion. However, it does need to be updated w/ modern mandates + a bigger anti-competition unit and a bigger consumer-centric approach.
    What would a purpose be except serving Robbers/Bhell?

  9. #54
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    1,094
    Device(s)
    BB Storm 9530
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Poweruser (15+ lines)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Good bye Wind, it was fun while it lasted. I am not surprised by the court ruling at all, and fully support it. It is after all our laws they are upholding.
    Telus Client for over 13 years - My Plans:

    $25/month + SAF/911/tax
    250 Daytime Mins // Unlimited Incoming // Unlimited E&W @ 6 pm // Unlimited Telus to Telus Nationwide // Unlimited Text Messaging // Business Bundle 10 // 100 Long Distance Mins

    $57/month + SAF/911/tax
    1350 Daytime Mins // Unlimited Incoming // Unlimited E&W @ 5 pm // Unlimited Telus to Telus Nationwide // Unlimited Text Messaging // Business Bundle 10 // Corp 15

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,393
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by iridescence View Post
    The reason the protections exist is because by sheer size alone, the US can overwhelm us with their products. So can a lot of other countries - they're just *bigger*.
    Man wake up.

    Japan ... is overpowering the USA in cars and electronic industry. In contrast, the USA is NOT overpowering Japan in anything. As far as my geographical knowledge goes, Japan is MUCH SMALLER THAN USA IN BOTH AREA AND POPULATION.

    Your argument is farce. In today's world, innovation is the key to success. You innovate - you prosper. Canadian companies are several decades behind in innovation. They need to innovate too. Protecting them does nothing.


    That being said, I want wind to survive and the govt should change these outdated telecom laws. (P.S. I am a mobilicity customer so neither with wind and public. But I want to see competition in canada and more innovation and better pricing models. )

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    746
    Device(s)
    Google Galaxy Nexus, BlackBerry Torch 9810
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Telus HSPA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    Man wake up.

    Japan ... is overpowering the USA in cars and electronic industry. In contrast, the USA is NOT overpowering Japan in anything. As far as my geographical knowledge goes, Japan is MUCH SMALLER THAN USA IN BOTH AREA AND POPULATION.

    Your argument is farce. In today's world, innovation is the key to success. You innovate - you prosper. Canadian companies are several decades behind in innovation. They need to innovate too. Protecting them does nothing.


    That being said, I want wind to survive and the govt should change these outdated telecom laws. (P.S. I am a mobilicity customer so neither with wind and public. But I want to see competition in canada and more innovation and better pricing models. )
    +1 and Japan isn't doing that super, seems to be South Korea is coming up in the world now and many other countries. We will just keep falling behind while the Big 3 do fun things to our behinds.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12
    Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CorSter View Post
    http://www.financialpost.com/news/Fe...443/story.html


    OTTAWA -- A Federal Court judge has quashed the Harper government’s decision to overrule the country’s telecommunication regulator and allow Globalive to launch wireless services in Canada.
    ......so realistically speaking, what does this mean for us wind customers? I see what some of you are saying about the fact that wind has invested so much to this point and the feds will probably respond to it by appealing or changing the legislation all together since hte consumer won't be well served if the company was disbanded....but we all know how long legislative changes take in this country, usually a lot longer than 45 days....could this be the end of wind?? please tell me i'm being paranoid, i've friggen loved my time with wind so far....

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,478
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well right now the Feds look silly if they don't do anything. Basically they are forced to spell out the rules andpass the law and ave it apply to all carriers.
    All comments are my own opinion and do not reflect the views of my employer or affiliated groups.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    746
    Device(s)
    Google Galaxy Nexus, BlackBerry Torch 9810
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Telus HSPA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Like with almost anything legal in this country. You can hold up these things with appeals long enough so the feds can pass a law.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    3,979
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HellfireX View Post
    Good bye Wind, it was fun while it lasted. I am not surprised by the court ruling at all, and fully support it. It is after all our laws they are upholding.
    Um, are you serious? Hey, if you want UBB and paying more for your mobile services, go right ahead and go with the Big Three. But don't try and make the rest of us.
    Formerly FidoFan

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Federal-Univ Ld and non LD
    By shamen in forum Sprint
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-16-2010, 12:38 AM
  2. Status of WIND Federal Court Case
    By robsaw in forum Freedom Mobile (previously Wind Mobile)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-28-2010, 01:06 AM
  3. Public Mobile Globalive decision should be overturned
    By v3inew in forum TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 02:57 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-29-2009, 07:04 PM
  5. Globalive Appoints New CEO of Globalive Wireless
    By connexx in forum Freedom Mobile (previously Wind Mobile)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-23-2008, 10:25 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks