Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Court overturns Globalive decision

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DummyBuy View Post
    What needs to be done is simple,

Who is accountable for this?

I do not care if you say your hands are tied, if you do not fix it, you are fired.

I think that everyone who has the say should loose their jobs if they cannot do it properly,

This is the only way they will feel the pressure and actually care cause they really only care about their job, not you or I!

So if someone can list who was involved, then all these people would be help accountable.
    If Wind does not survive, everyone looses including Mobilicity, believe it or not.

So after the list is made, we should all email, mail, call and let them know that we want them out if they cannot fix this problem. Some may even want to show up in person and speak to them directly.
    Huh? Who are you talking about, Canadian judges? The CRTC?

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HellfireX View Post
    If you don't like the what is happening to Wind, write to your MP and urge them to change the Telecommunications Act.
    The Act WILL change over this and I guarantee you the opposition parties would NEVER fight the Tory's on this issue - it would be political suicide (not because they support Clement's decision or even WIND) but because they don't want to be perceived as an anti-compititive party that helped line big business' pockets at the expense of the consumer (as the big 3 would quickly raise their prices if WIND was to disappear). Now, a small piece of me wishes the Libs & NDP would raise a stink - so we could finally get a Conservative majority in this country . Won't happen though.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score
    Maybe the Block will raise a stink. Somebody will, but if it goes to a Parlimentary vote you can be sure both the Conservatives and Liberals will be for it. Remember after the original CRTC decision Liberal party members expressed support for WIND to launch. Also every commissioned report on the matter of foreign ownership has recommended the lifting of foreign ownership rules.
    All comments are my own opinion and do not reflect the views of my employer or affiliated groups.

Device(s)
    Nokia E72 X10
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers/Vodafone.DE O2.DE Cellcom Fido
    Feedback Score
    As usual many have missed the point here. I have said it time and time again it is not just about cellular. Back before wind launched the ownership was in question.. they were asked to clarify it and they did not. If memory serves it was twice they were told they did not comply and shut out. Then the other Tony came in and said " it's ok.. you and I have a deal.. " so off they went. And an appeal was filed.. now they look at the case as matter of law.. and what do they find.. ? CRTC was right.. 100% debt is quite a bit of control. A great many foreign companies do invest in Canada and do it quite easily. Bosche, VW, GM, Ford, Siemens, Philips, Bayer, the list goes on. They follow the rules and prosper. Do not get me started on how many people wind employs.. that is an utter joke. Outsourced already come on.. in the same breath you say look at all the jobs they bring and then they outsource..
    PM will not be happy with just this.. they want the details of this deal that was struck. That I think will be the most telling. Also how does the CRTC work for IC? In the hearings it was clear that both had power, you needed to satisfy both to go on. And there was a stipulation in place what the consequences were if you did not satisfy the conditions. Disband the CRTC? Disband IC they are the ones that keep foreign investment out according to you all. Let Wind get some funding ( good luck ) or maybe as some have said Mobli will buy them.. Then again a billion bucks for a company that has to go back to square 1.. doubtful

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rockjock View Post
    or maybe as some have said Mobli will buy them..
    Mobi won't buy them. If they had any interest (or had the money??) in becoming a national carrier they would have bought spectrum across the country in the first place - which they didn't. Can I see WIND & Mobi coming together eventually?... yes... in this scenario, not likely. Who knows, maybe T-Mobile will come in and scoop up both WIND & Mobi once the rules get straitened out???

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson W760i
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote Originally Posted by rockjock
    As usual many have missed the point here. I have said it time and time again it is not just about cellular. Back before wind launched the ownership was in question.. they were asked to clarify it and they did not. If memory serves it was twice they were told they did not comply and shut out. Then the other Tony came in and said " it's ok.. you and I have a deal.. " so off they went. And an appeal was filed.. now they look at the case as matter of law.. and what do they find.. ? CRTC was right.. 100% debt is quite a bit of control. A great many foreign companies do invest in Canada and do it quite easily. Bosche, VW, GM, Ford, Siemens, Philips, Bayer, the list goes on. They follow the rules and prosper. Do not get me started on how many people wind employs.. that is an utter joke. Outsourced already come on.. in the same breath you say look at all the jobs they bring and then they outsource..
    PM will not be happy with just this.. they want the details of this deal that was struck. That I think will be the most telling. Also how does the CRTC work for IC? In the hearings it was clear that both had power, you needed to satisfy both to go on. And there was a stipulation in place what the consequences were if you did not satisfy the conditions. Disband the CRTC? Disband IC they are the ones that keep foreign investment out according to you all. Let Wind get some funding ( good luck ) or maybe as some have said Mobli will buy them.. Then again a billion bucks for a company that has to go back to square 1.. doubtful
    The foreign companies you mention aren't covered by the restrictive Telecom Act. No other industry has the tight regulations as telecoms do. Especially in Canada.

Device(s)
    Nokia E72 X10
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy132 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The foreign companies you mention aren't covered by the restrictive Telecom Act. No other industry has the tight regulations as telecoms do. Especially in Canada.

As I have said time and time again it is not JUST about telecom.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    If this ruling leads to T-Mobile buying up Wind Mobile and Mobilicity when the foreign ownership rules get tossed out, then that'll be fantastic. T-Mobile would be a perfect fit.
    Formerly FidoFan

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    The Big-T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Prevailing Wind View Post
    If this ruling leads to T-Mobile buying up Wind Mobile and Mobilicity when the foreign ownership rules get tossed out, then that'll be fantastic. T-Mobile would be a perfect fit.
    No. T-Mobile sucked for the last 3 years i was with them. Mobi is doing much better

Device(s)
    Google Galaxy Nexus, BlackBerry Torch 9810
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Telus HSPA
    Feedback Score
    We pretty much let any foreign business/country take our natural resources and whatever else we have to offer but god forbid telecom.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanghaiKid View Post
    Well I guess if I don't agree with what is being said then I am a troll...interesting concept...

Also, you must be ignorant yourself....if they were forced to quickly open up more capacity in their call centres and outsource it what about the numerous Call Centre's here in Canada, are you telling me that all the Call Centres available for outsourcing in Canada are at their Capacity? Oh wait, they went to Egypt as one option...wait a sec, isn't that were Orascom is from? And how long ago was this? If this was a rush decision then why have those jobs not come back to Canada?
    They already have done business with Teleperformance, it would have made sense to have dealt with them again. It would have been very difficult to start new operations in such short notice. Teleperformance may have had convinced Wind for their service in Egypt because Wind had no long term commitments. Wind did not choose Egypt because Orascom because Egypt i from there, you shouldn't jump to conclusions like that, if you go to the Teleperformance website, they clearly advertise Tunisia and Egypt call centres toward Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by ShanghaiKid View Post
    And he calls me stupid and ignorant, he can't even get his information correct! Thanks for the info! I guess v3inew must feel stupid and ignorant now.
    Explain how? Your last two comments makes me feel that you are actually a child.

Device(s)
    Nokia E72 X10
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorreia View Post
    We pretty much let any foreign business/country take our natural resources and whatever else we have to offer but god forbid telecom.
    Foreign companies come in IF they follow the rules, so do not make it sound like it's a free for all here. It is not just about telecom, it goes across the board. Too many people are blinded about the promise of cheap cellular and they miss the big picture. The other new players were able to get financing, they were able to stay within the rules so why must they be bent so that Wind can do an end run? You want it to be a level playing field? Or is Wind above the rules?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The government has attempted to strong arm the CRTC 3 times in past 5 years (most recent with UBB)
    If they just override the CRTC then there is no purpose in keeping a CRTC

WIND won't disappear but this might now cause changes
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rockjock View Post
    As I have said time and time again it is not JUST about telecom.
    You can say it as much as you want - that doesn't change the fact that this case is specifically about the TELECOM ACT and NOTHING BUT the TELECOM ACT. The only other large industrial sectors with similar restrictions are those connected to telecom/broadcast/publishing and transport.

But it is interesting to see the emotional rhetoric and ill-informed legal opinions that I knew this would bring about.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    There is a place for the CRTC in terms of advertising policies and media content rules.

I DO think there needs to be more scrutiny on who works at the CRTC and where their loyalty lies, course I think this for ALL arm length bodies to the government.

I 100000% agree that the actual telecommunications act needs to be amended. I doubt any party would disagree considering what just happend with the UUB issue. It's half a century old and completely out of date and reality.

This isn't just about the CRTC and I'm glad people are starting to realize that the Telecom act itself is in some dire need of revision.
    I basically completely agree with this comment. I think people are missing/ignoring the fact that one can be in favour of certain things that the CRTC upholds and still think that it needs revision/an overhaul.

I think what will likely happen is that the laws themselves will be changed, because that is the true point that the judge is making - that the government acted outside of its own laws. So the laws need to be changed, or Wind has to shift its debt. We'll have to wait to see which comes first.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast