Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New iPhone 5 or iPad 2 to support 1700 Mhz AWS??

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile CEO stated they did not expect the iPhone anytime soon on their network, which would be the largest likely customer pushing to have AWS support by Apple.

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by atolibot View Post
    T-Mobile CEO stated they did not expect the iPhone anytime soon on their network, which would be the largest likely customer pushing to have AWS support by Apple.
    I wouldn't necessarily believe what the CEO says.. How many times has an exec said something only to have the opposite occur?

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by profets View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily believe what the CEO says.. How many times has an exec said something only to have the opposite occur?
    Verizon is a prime example, letting everyone know that it was coming to their network, ages before launch. With the IPhone demand, it would be stupid to deny it if it truly was coming. It would also stop the shed of customers going to ATT and Verizon, wanting an Iphone whom otherwise might stick around to get it. Witholding that information would not make any sense whatsoever, business wise for Apple or T-Mobile (demand for a product is good).

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by atolibot View Post
    Verizon is a prime example, letting everyone know that it was coming to their network, ages before launch. With the IPhone demand, it would be stupid to deny it if it truly was coming. It would also stop the shed of customers going to ATT and Verizon, wanting an Iphone whom otherwise might stick around to get it. Witholding that information would not make any sense whatsoever, business wise for Apple or T-Mobile (demand for a product is good).
    They didn't exactly let everyone know *ages* before the launch. While there were rumors and speculation in the media and internet forums (for the past FOUR years), it was only officially announced a week or so before pre-sales began. Verison has been working on this for years! Very few companies will announce future plans any sooner than they have to - especially Apple - arguably the most secretive company in the world. There are too many variables that could end up biting them in the butt if they announced too soon. Example, how many people on this forum have been screaming about WIND's "coming in 2010" coverage map that didn't materialize? Apples first priority is their existing carriers - what if they couldn't keep up with demand and didn't deliver to the new carrier after the new carrier *promised* it to their customers? While I do understand your rationale from a *consumer* standpoint (I too would love to know WIND's next 5 launch cities and when they will be rolling them out) but so would their competition. You never want to give your competitors time to build a marketing plan to counter or minimize the impact of your big announcement... especially BEFORE you can even provide the product or service. Look at AT&T and Verison - have you seen their respective iPhone ads lately? Also, why would you want to essentially stop selling phones and new subs for the next 2-6 months while people *wait* for the iPhone to come out? WIND would much rather have you buy an Android today (start paying the monthly service fees) and upgrade the hardware later.

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Guys. The original iPhone 3G was said to have a chip that supported AWS. RIM also has chips that supports all these bands, yet they release two separate versions. What's the difference? I think antennas also have to be compatible as well as the control firmware. It's just harder to make it

Just because the chip itself supports it doesn't mean the end product. You can already see that the Verizon iPhone has that M6600 chip but it doesn't even support GSM or HSPA on any bands. It might just be a simple matter of adding a SIM card slot, but more likely it needs a optimize antenna.

OTOH, T-Mobile CEO said that it's not coming any time soon. What does that mean exactly. Is that 3 months? 6 months or a year? I think we'll just have to wait until next month when they announce the iPad 2. If it doesn't have a AWS compatible version, I don't expect to see a AWS compatible iPhone 5.

Carrier(s)
    Bell LTE
    Feedback Score
    Every phone should have that radio in it.

Sent from Galaxy Tab on Wind
    Devices:
    Treo 700wx > HTC Hero > iPhone 3G > Moto Milestone > Palm Pre Plus > Galaxy S > Nexus 1 > Desire Z > Desire HD > Samsung Focus > Moto Atrix > Nexus S > Galaxy S2 > HTC Flyer > HTC Raider LTE > HTC EVO 3D > Galaxy Nexus > Galaxy S3 i9300 > Nexus 4 > Nexus 5 > Oneplus One > Oneplus Two > Nexus 6p > Pixel XL > Pixel 2 XL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Now that the exclusivity agreement with AT&T is over, there's no reason for Apple to not release a device with AWS. Not saying they're going to, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hohohong View Post
    Andriod is a GMC car,… and iOS is like Lambho,… again,.. it’s personal preference!
    I've owned an iPhone and now I have a Nexus One. I don't miss iOS in the least. For one thing, you have to jailbreak it to make it worthwhile.

To me, using your car analogy, the iPhone is like a Toyota Corolla. Everyone has one, they're boring to look at, but they're functional. They're an appliance. Android is a... well, it's not a Toyota Corolla. This car analogy now bores me.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    If anyone cares, that table comes from this link: http://www.docin.com/p-52040727.html

So the booklet looks pretty official. Certainly nothing anyone with half a life would bother to conjure up in their spare time.

So we know for sure that this most recent iPhone's chipset supports AWS. That is not a rumour. That said, as others have indicated, this same phone doesn't support GSM at all, so it really depends on them switching out the AT&T/Verizon antennas out of the regular iPhone 4's and making an AWS antenna. I don't see that being difficult at all, seeing as how Nokia, Samsung, RIM, Sony Ericsson have been doing it for years.

Whether Apple has an incentive to make it happen is anyone's guess.
    Formerly FidoFan

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Considering AWS receives on the 2100 band thats already being used outside of NA for 3G half the antenna fix is already in production and use. More interesting will be if Apple goes forward with their idea that surfaced last year to move to virtual sim card chip for GSM and seal the hand set completely. The Version hand set its baseband chip build sure looks like it could be the first step towards that strategy.

Device(s)
    Torch 9810, Huawei U3200
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Yes indeed, the antenna must be compatible as well. That's what makes the difference. The chip is a great start.
    Line 1 Koodo: $60 6GB Super Plan
    Line 2 Koodo: Canada Wide 35 / 250 nationwide / 5pm nationwide E&W / recurring $5 credit
    Lines 3 & 4 Wind: $40 Holiday Miracle Plan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Creaser View Post
    Considering AWS receives on the 2100 band thats already being used outside of NA for 3G half the antenna fix is already in production and use. More interesting will be if Apple goes forward with their idea that surfaced last year to move to virtual sim card chip for GSM and seal the hand set completely. The Version hand set its baseband chip build sure looks like it could be the first step towards that strategy.
    That was shot down by the GSMA, and carriers in Europe heavily disapproved of this. It gives all the power to Apple and none to the carriers. In fact some carriers in Europe got so upset they pulled the iPhone from their Websites front pages and started pushing Android.

Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Software, software, software.

It's not simply a matter of adding a SIM card slot to the Verizon iPhone. It's a matter of having the software support for AWS. Can it be done? It's by no means impossible. No idea how likely it is to happen, but it seems as though Apple could be moving in such a direction that might indicate a desire to make a single handset, compatible with all 3G bands as well as CDMA.

We'll see, I suppose. Crossing my fingers, so to speak.

Feedback Score
    As usual the ball is in T-Mobile's court. Usually we get leaks about 6 months ahead of time, but I highly doubt we'll see a T-Mobile iPhone in 2011.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Wait the Qualcomm MDM6600 supports AWS UTMS?

So then this means that that Apple is already selling and producing an iPhone that is "compatible" with AWS UTMS networks because that's the chip that the CDMA iPhone uses.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-...versal-iphone/

So it gives more light because Apple is likely to use the same chip for the future iPhone and iPad, lets all pray that Apple will unlock Band IV.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast