Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: 2 more years, Hesse states iDEN site shut down starting 2013

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8350i
    Carrier(s)
    NEXTEL.|Communications
    Feedback Score
    I was thinking that DT wasn't available then, but couldn't find any hard launch dates. I was pretty sure I was on an i95 at that point in time.... Good call Mack!
    “Right now, I’m glad we have the iDEN network,” Hesse said. “I wouldn’t have said that 18 months ago, but I am now ... from a financial perspective.”

NEXTEL. Done. I guess that's "Life at SprintSpeed"

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/5.1.22303/23.390; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Double post
    Last edited by boss_hog; 02-25-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/5.1.22303/23.390; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Have you never seen police crews at traffic accidents, sporting events and situations communicating via dc. Think about the overcrowdedness that would put on there standard radio. In heavy surveillance standard radios can easily be overheard Nextel DC is private and offers the highest level of security available that hasn't been cracked. But that's not important. But you'd probably doubt that to. I wonder why moto makes all those independent mics and surveillance set ups to work with Iden . Its clear by your statements that Nextel can't very important in police and first responder operations.

Qchat will be useless at any place that is crowded such as sporting events or anything. I have witnessed this already. Qchat 2 will not change that. f they push this crap again and stop sending Iden into the future and putting it on hold like last time they will loose the rest of there core base. And it will be over.

Device(s)
    Kyocera DuraXT-Primary
    Carrier(s)
    NEXTEL-DONE
    Feedback Score
    There is still a market for the ordinary Flip/voice phone with a decent camera/limited texting ability with number dial pad,Not every consumer is a twentysomething techno expert who cant wait for their 2 year contract to expire to indulge in the latest 3g/4g smartphone.When it is noted that within a year,2 years most will have a smartphone, that is not because the public is clamoring for it, it is because thats what the carriers are pushing,to boost profits.These Corporate Bigs dont understand this.There are people out there, most probably middle age or older that are happy with their 3-5 year old plain no frills phone,which they know how to operate easily.When that phone breaks, the go to eBay to get the same model used, so they wont have to relearn using the phone.These are a lot of the 10 Million Nextel subcribers left.They dont read Howard Forums.There is still robust demand for iden on eBay. Just scan Completed listings for i95s i90s,i730s,i860s,i850s,i880s i580s.There are people out there still happy with this technology because it works fine for them. they dont sit & fret about how fast a download goes for them.Heck, they wont even know what hit them when Sprint notifies them that their phone is unusable on the network anymore & they will have to upgrade to a Tablet Phone in 2013!(can you imagine the calls to Sprint CS from Grandpa?)Note to Sprint/Nextel management:Sell off the iden platform to another carrier, who will exploit this market of consumer,who is content with a used or refurbished handset.Yes ,iden platform will be sold before 2013, but not before Sprint sucks out every subscriber they can over to CDMA
    Leaving Brooklyn? FUGGEDDABOUDDIT!

Feedback Score
    Iden is actually EXPANDING on NII/Nextel International. It's not the technology so much as how it is managed/mismanaged by those who control it. Iden. Sprint: Losing one million users a quarter. NII Holdings: gaining thousands.

Same technology. Different approaches. I personally see NII doing it right and Sprint doing it WRONG. But hey.

Device(s)
    Ace,V950
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz View Post
    Iden is actually EXPANDING on NII/Nextel International. It's not the technology so much as how it is managed/mismanaged by those who control it. Iden. Sprint: Losing one million users a quarter. NII Holdings: gaining thousands.

Same technology. Different approaches. I personally see NII doing it right and Sprint doing it WRONG. But hey.
    NII is movong away from iden and go to hspa +.

Most likely they will use the same qchat sprint will.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app
    Why do peole that don't have Sprint, post in Sprint forums hmmmmm ie Troll Alert

If the economy is so bad way are you wasting $200-$2,000 with Verizon or ATT... shame shame

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rilharri View Post
    NII is movong away from iden and go to hspa +.

Most likely they will use the same qchat sprint will.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app
    Indeed...

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....968&highlight=

NII Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: NIHD) today announced that it will host and webcast a meeting for financial analysts and investors on May 12, 2011, in Lima, Peru. NII Holdings' senior management team as well as the top teams from each of its market operations will participate in a discussion about the Company's current business operations and the opportunities for future growth. During this meeting, the Company expects to showcase the Push-to-Talk (PTT) technology on its W-CDMA platform that it has been successfully testing in field trials and detail the milestones leading up to the commercial launch of this service.
    Thrill me...

Feedback Score
    I've been away from iDen since 2002. It's nice to be back.
    The DC feature on my Boost is the main reason I'm back.

Funny thing is, I'm finding that about 80% of my business customers
    who all left Nextel after the Sprint deal, are also coming back mostly for the DC feature.
    Most are keeping their current smart phones (ATT, Verizon, T-Mo etc...) and using the
    DC as just a radio service.
    I know, it may go away (iDen) someday. Until then, as I said before, It's good to be back.
    Last thought, and I thank you if you've taken the time to read this far..,
    I'm REALLY liking the way I can leave my expensive smart phone in the vehicle and just grab
    the DC phone and run around the job sites. These new phones are so tiny compared to the
    nextels from back then. My daughter calls it a cordless microphone.
    I'm done.
    Long live iDen. (At least until there is a true, viable alternative that is at least as fast)

Have a good Friday and a great weekend HoFo people...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    Stop propagating falsehoods about disasters and IDEN. First of all, no first responders use their IDEN handsets as the primary means of communications. Second, the fact that the primary mean of communication (police radios) failed was due to the fact that their antennas were on top of the towers that collapsed and there was no back up site nearby (design failure). Third the fact that police/ambulance and fire departments could not communicate was due to inherent system design. Fourth, the system that worked was Direct Talk (walkie talkie) that uses the ISM 900 band and has nothing to do with IDEN. You could add that to any phone regardless of air interface. Actually they should add it to the police radios and I am amazed they they have not yet.
    Obviously you haven't been out in the field as an officer, marshal, or EMS/Firemedic..

http://www.geospatialtech.com/clients/CSULB.pdf

While most PS don't use Nextel as primary mean's, it's used widely for backup and inter field private communication's and most wont trust PTT over Sprint's crap 3G. Nextel iDEN has been a proven and trusted tech and Sprint better had prove that this is self sustaining just in case like iDEN is.
    Last edited by Guest 171; 03-04-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.22371/23.390; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Very good find !!

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.22371/23.390; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Very good find !!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4 CDMA
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by locust43 View Post
    Obviously you haven't been out in the field as an officer, marshal, or EMS/Firemedic..

http://www.geospatialtech.com/clients/CSULB.pdf

While most PS don't use Nextel as primary mean's, it's used widely for backup and inter field private communication's and most wont trust PTT over Sprint's crap 3G. Nextel iDEN has been a proven and trusted tech and Sprint better had prove that this is self sustaining just in case like iDEN is.
    I don't want to get into this argument, but that PDF is 5 year old Nextel propaganda. Perhaps a non-biased, current source would be more appropriate? Plus, its college campus police...

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.246 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Some people make me laugh

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boss_hog View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.246 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Some people make me laugh
    My local cable company has been moving away from PTT for a little while. While they still have some PTT available for the greybeards, dispatch instructions are SMS based, box activations are web based. The workflow has been redesigned to eliminate errors and human interaction. It's a lot more data based.

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score

Can't say I've ever seen a cable guy orchestrate a crane drop or seen someone sms to the tech that fans have failed to shut the equipment down before it blows everybody to hell, or see a surveillance crews send an email that there subject is about to round the corner and blow there cover. Data can only do so much and there are many many needs for purely dependable instant ptt and as of yet there is only one proven technology ever to handle it in real world conditions not in some tests done by the people that need the investors to believe them so they can continue to get the money.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast