Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Nokia and Microsoft enter strategic alliance on Windows Phone, Bing, XBL & Office

Device(s)
    Nokia N8, BBB 9700
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone and Telegraph
    Feedback Score
    What the #(@*#[email protected]?

I'm out too! Never thought that would happen. Was patiently waiting for Maemo phones (w/850/1900), then MeeGo, ...

Nokia just kept starting over. Changing strategies. Confusing customers, developers, themselves.

Screw this. I guess that leaves... Android.

*Sigh*..

Device(s)
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    ^meego might still come.. I am hoping.

This is how they are going to differentiate themselves from other wp7 phones .. hah

http://yfrog.com/f/gyyufxj/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDee View Post
    Don't forget people, Microsoft OWNS the software world.
    MSFT benefits from a huge installed base in Windows and Office. Users are locked in and developers develop because of the huge base, which helps lock in users, etc.

MSFT has not done very well extending into other areas.

I don't see anything that differentiates a Nokia WP7 phone from other WP7 phones more than a Nokia Android would be differentiated from other Android phones, other than the WP7 has a much smaller market share, so Nokia would initially be a big fish in a small pond. However, if WP7 succeeds on Nokia, it will succeed elsewhere.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8 Orange
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm rethinking my previous statements.

Android, iOS, and to a lesser extent, WebOS just won big. They'll be the beneficiaries of Nokia's single, biggest blunder ever.

People can take the heat from the burning platform, but when it explodes, there's nothing left to stand on.

Device(s)
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    Un****ingbelievable indeed.

Can someone please tell me, how is this better than Symbian ? My n8 does it all, and more.. I don't get it

WP7-specific limitations

* No system-wide file manager
    * No Bluetooth file transfers
    * No USB mass storage mode
    * Limited third-party apps availability
    * No Flash (nor Silverlight) support in the browser
    * Too dependent on Zune software for file management and syncing
    * No video calls
    * New ringtones available only through the Marketplace
    * Music player lacks equalizer presets
    * No multitasking
    * No copy/paste
    * No DivX/XviD video support (automatic transcoding provided by Zune software)
    * No sign of free Bing maps Navigation so far
    * No internet tethering support
    * No handwriting recognition support

Device(s)
    Nokia N8, BBB 9700
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone and Telegraph
    Feedback Score
    Biggest blunder ever, indeed.
    How can a single induhvidual who happens to carry with him M$ baggage from the past so fundamentally destroy the world's largest cell phone maker overnight?

It's not like anyone actually enjoys Windows, on the desktop or on phones! The difference is that on the desktop, MS have critical mass/monopoly -- that should in theory be very easy to maintain (and despite that, they're slipping there too!) -- on phones they don't really stand a chance. Never did, never will.

Sad. Sad. Sad. And to think that at one point, Nokia was actually Europe's most profitable company.

Device(s)
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    there is hope

Nokia: "MeeGo will be an opp to learn/explore future disruptive platforms, devices & experiences. Expect a device before end of 2011"

Whatever that means : )

Quote Originally Posted by Hlorri View Post
    It's not like anyone actually enjoys Windows, on the desktop or on phones! The difference is that on the desktop, MS have critical mass/monopoly -- that should in theory be very easy to maintain (and despite that, they're slipping there too!) -- on phones they don't really stand a chance. Never did, never will.

Sad. Sad. Sad. And to think that at one point, Nokia was actually Europe's most profitable company.
    I dunno man.. I am not sure how happy the Finish government will be after all this (i know they have no say and they shouldn't but still).. I mean Microsoft will be playing with one of their biggest companies, and what if it doesn't work? then what, Microsoft packs their bags along with Elop and they go home, and Nokia is left with what ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by go0gle View Post
    Un****ingbelievable indeed.

Can someone please tell me, how is this better than Symbian ? My n8 does it all, and more.. I don't get it
    In all fairness (****, why do I need to be fair to those ****ers.. anyway), much if not all of that could be fixed by end of this year, and Nokia might even be able to help in some of those areas.

****ers. I really hate the fact that Meego is getting pretty much "axed behind the sauna" as the Finns would say - and are saying right now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by go0gle View Post
    there is hope

Nokia: "MeeGo will be an opp to learn/explore future disruptive platforms, devices & experiences. Expect a device before end of 2011"

Whatever that means : )
    I read it to mean a Meego tablet, you know, just to see if it floats. ****ers.

Device(s)
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    ^Interesting, maybe.. but that is still linux man, how is that going to fly? Oh I know.. no adds and no marketing behind it at all when it comes out, it will be like it never did. Intel is more likely to do something about keeping MeeGo alive.. Intel are probably not happy about this too btw

Device(s)
    Desire HD
    Carrier(s)
    fido
    Feedback Score
    At this point they needed to do something fast but I still think android would have been a better choice to bring nokias numbers back up and fast. After the peeing yourself for short term warmth comment they may not have had a choice

The thing I'm sure they are kicking themselves over now is not buying palm when they had the chance. Not only would the web os have been their platform which has many things windows 7 lacks and kept things in house but they would have had all their patents

Device(s)
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    ^Palm would have been a great choice..

Instead they have this mess

Elop "Some industrial design work and chipset choices that have been made MeeGo will be repurposed towards Windows Phone."

sweet

Feedback Score
    It's very interesting to see a non-optimistic Vijpottaja. Not making fun of you though, it's kinda dawning on me exactly what this all means and I'm sorry for anyone that did rely daily on symbian. There really is nothing else out there with the specific functionality it has.

There will be a lot of things on that list fixed with the WP7 update coming out near the end of the year (likely before the time a Nokia device would release) but I doubt nokia will correct the limitations that WP7 has as a platform (zune, divx, and mass storage support)

At the very least, a jailbreak may assist some of these, and Microsoft is cool with the current team working on it and will let them know when software updates will break the jailbreak. Sideloading apps is one feature that can be enabled already.

Device(s)
    Infuse
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hardcore Symbian faboys.. please wake up like Elop did! I was a die hard fan of Symbian, so don't get me wrong when I say that. Symbian can't scale... look at other OS, iOS, Andriod. they are far ahead .. WP7 will be the next big plaform. WP7 has excellent base now, it needs to evolve.. that is where Nokia can make the difference. Integrating maps, mult tasking, Ovi servies... along with their high hardware capabilities, makes them unique.

It would have been another andriod Nokia phone if they had gone with Andriod.. Samsung, HTC, SE, Moto are big players with Andriod. it is very hard to compete with them as they got their own identity with Andriod.

WP7 is a new begnining.. not many players out there. One can ask why can't Nokia put the same efforts on Meego or Symbian. They already tried with them for the past 2-3 years, it didn't work coz they are missing the fundamentals needed for the next gen OS which WP7 has. Buying plam would have been a smart choice, but they missed that opportunity. The next best(only) option they have right now is to go with WP7.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hlorri View Post
    How can a single induhvidual who happens to carry with him M$ baggage from the past so fundamentally destroy the world's largest cell phone maker overnight?

I guess Elop was actually the MS mole somebody said he was. So a company who has made unbelievable mistakes the last 10 years (Microsoft) and has a lot of money just because they have a near monopoly on computer OS and office suites help Nokia?
    I mean almost all products that MS released the last 10 years have been failures I even doubt the XBox has been profitable?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast