Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 59 of 59

Thread: New sprint phone on thursday!

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,877
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by johncase3 View Post
    WebOS and WP7 were tied in December at 5000 apps, so WP7 is probably ahead by now. There are also about 500 "preware" homebrew apps.
    Thanks, I didn't know the actual figures. I do know that there are many developers, well, developing apps for the platform and many popular apps, such as Angry Birds, are rumored to be headed to WP7. I also think that people forget that Microsoft is a big company, with a tremendous pedigree (in the world of technology), huge pockets, and simply will not give up without a fight. Android is amazingly popular right now, but we should never confused popularity with quality; this goes for the platform and/or the apps. HTC, Samsung, LG, and Nokia are committed to the platform, and while I would personally like to see Motorola produce a WP7 device, they are not needed. WP7 is fine. I like the UI, I like the direction, I like the way they handle updates, and I like the lack of fragmentation.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    8,763
    Device(s)
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirodd View Post
    Microsoft is a big company, with a tremendous pedigree (in the world of technology), huge pockets, and simply will not give up without a fight.
    HP is a big company too. They have their own developers. They have said that if there are critical apps missing from WebOS platform, HP will build them and give the app away for free. This is more proactive than sitting around hoping they can attract developer investments.

    http://www.precentral.net/hp-develop...-name-partners
    iPhone 7 Plus - Sprint SERO
    iPhone 6 Plus - Altice (testing)

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,877
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by johncase3 View Post
    HP is a big company too. They have their own developers. They have said that if there are critical apps missing from WebOS platform, HP will build them and give the app away for free. This is more proactive than sitting around hoping they can attract developer investments.

    http://www.precentral.net/hp-develop...-name-partners
    HP is big, but my problem with them is their vision/strategy. webOS is a fine OS, but it's matched to lackluster hardware. We all know that there are many reasons why the Pre (and the Pixi) failed to attract the attention of most consumers: poor marketing, going exclusive, lack of developer support, and lackluster hardware. So how does HP plan to remedy this? As far as I can see, by doing almost the exact same thing.
    Last edited by Vykin; 02-25-2011 at 05:17 PM.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    8,763
    Device(s)
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirodd View Post
    HP is big, but my problem with them is their vision/strategy. webOS is a fine OS, but it's matched to lackluster hardware. We all know that there are many reasons why the Pre (and the Pixi) failed to attract the attention of most consumers: poor marketing, going exclusive, lack of developer support, and lackluster hardware. So how does HP plan to remedy this? As far as I can see, by doing the almost the exact same thing.
    I don't know how you define lackluster hardware. Let's assume HP fixed all the mechanical issues. So you are saying a pebble shape is lackluster compared to a slab? IMO, that's totally subjective. If the iphone had come out in a pebble shape, everyone would want to copy that just because it's Apple.

    HP is planning on spending a ton of money on marketing that Palm didn't have
    HP is planning on making the Pre3 (and the companion pad) everything an enterprise could want and push it through their enterprise channels.
    The Sprint exclusive was a mistake, but that's old news. The Palm3 will be a worldphone (CDMA+GSM).

    Will it be enough? Maybe not. It's hard to believe, but HP actually announced that webOS will have a significant impact on Q3 & Q4 sales for HP. They're either confident or delusional.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,501
    Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Maybe HP fixed the mechanical issues and maybe not. I like webOS and I hope it succeeds. I have two problems with the phone hardware. It's an old form factor, the phone looks the same, there's nothing visually exciting about it and let's face it, it bombed in the marketplace. I was hoping they were going to do a landscape slider and a slab. The second problem is that it won't be avilable until the summer and will have to compete with the iPhone5.
    Last edited by bigsnake49; 02-25-2011 at 04:37 PM.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    8,763
    Device(s)
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    It's an old form factor, the phone looks the same, there's nothing visually exciting about it.
    This is what I don't get. The iphone is "allowed" to keep the same "old" form factor, but the Pre is not? Why? Because iphone is cool so it gets a pass? IMO, there is nothing "visually exciting" about a slab, except that it's got an Apple logo on it. It's all brainwashing and status.

    That said, I dearly wish HP would make a slab just to shut people up!!

    BTW, the Pre3 has a large gorilla glass higher rez screen just like the iphone, so it's not *exactly* the same form factor as the original.

    The TouchPad is almost exactly the same size as the iPad, so at least that should keep the form factor police happy!!

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,877
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by johncase3 View Post
    I don't know how you define lackluster hardware. Let's assume HP fixed all the mechanical issues. So you are saying a pebble shape is lackluster compared to a slab? IMO, that's totally subjective. If the iphone had come out in a pebble shape, everyone would want to copy that just because it's Apple.

    HP is planning on spending a ton of money on marketing that Palm didn't have
    HP is planning on making the Pre3 (and the companion pad) everything an enterprise could want and push it through their enterprise channels.
    The Sprint exclusive was a mistake, but that's old news. The Palm3 will be a worldphone (CDMA+GSM).

    Will it be enough? Maybe not. It's hard to believe, but HP actually announced that webOS will have a significant impact on Q3 & Q4 sales for HP. They're either confident or delusional.
    I didn't mention the iPhone, nor was I comparing the Pre to the iPhone or any slab in particular. I mean, the Droid by Motorola was a success and it's a slider; the Droid 2 isn't that different and I don't have a problem with that, because, for the most part, Motorola fixed the main problem with the original Droid--the keyboard. I will admit that I am partial to the slab design, because with a slider, you will have added weight, added bulk, and an extra moving part. That said, if I have to use a slider I'd prefer a horizontal slider to a vertical slider. Also, if you going to have a vertical slider, at least add a virtual keyboard for landscape mode and a bigger screen, so that it can be useful. Moreover, I am not partial to the slab design because Apple popularized it, but rather because I like the advantages it offers over a slider. Certainly, there are disadvantages too, but I think the advantages outweigh them. Does this mean that Palm/HP should go slab only? Absolutely not. They could offer 4 models: a vertical slider (like they're doing with the Pre 3), and horizontal slider (like the Droid), a slab, and larger Pixi design. But to pretty much go all vertical slider is a terrible strategy IMHO.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,501
    Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by johncase3 View Post
    This is what I don't get. The iphone is "allowed" to keep the same "old" form factor, but the Pre is not? Why? Because iphone is cool so it gets a pass? IMO, there is nothing "visually exciting" about a slab, except that it's got an Apple logo on it. It's all brainwashing and status.

    That said, I dearly wish HP would make a slab just to shut people up!!

    BTW, the Pre3 has a large gorilla glass higher rez screen just like the iphone, so it's not *exactly* the same form factor as the original.

    The TouchPad is almost exactly the same size as the iPad, so at least that should keep the form factor police happy!!
    Except for the 3G/3GS which kept the same visual shape, the original iphone looks nothing like the iPhone 4. I also think that the Pre's screen size is pretty small. If you try to use the touch screen, unless you have really small fingers, you will have problems.

    I have no problems with their pad other than the release date. On the other hand, I hope that there are no hardware problems. That's what's remarkable with the iPhone. I had the original iphone, kept it for two years and then gave it to a friend who continues using it. It's coming up on 4 years. I have had my 3GS for 19 months. Between the two of them, they had 0 hardware problems. I also have a number of other Apple hardware and have had 0 hardware problems.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    8,763
    Device(s)
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    I had the original iphone, kept it for two years and then gave it to a friend who continues using it. It's coming up on 4 years. I have had my 3GS for 19 months. Between the two of them, they had 0 hardware problems. I also have a number of other Apple hardware and have had 0 hardware problems.
    Well what kind of hardware problems are you going to have with a slab? There are no moving parts...simplicity. That said, there are plenty of iPhones with cracked screens and dead-non-serviceable batteries. There were plenty of flip phones with broken hinges but that never stopped them from being popular....that's just the nature of handsets with moving parts.

    I understand HP staying with the same form factor. It's less risky than doing something completely different and possibly having a whole new set of bugs. Their rep is tarnished enough. The first touchscreen/slab that Blackberry did (Storm) was a piece of crap. IMHO, that was a much bigger fail than the Palm Pre. It only sold because it was a touch screen BB on Verizon. BB should have known better, and they had way more in the way of R&D resources than Palm.

    As for longevity, I have yet to break a handset so I expect I will tire of my pre long before I wear it out. So far, in 4 months, I have zero complaints about the build quality of my Pre.

    My Pre is MUCH more stable than my WM 6.5 Palm Pro. That's why I am leery of WP7.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    708
    Device(s)
    Unlocked iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    What a POS.

    Sprint better have some surprises coming up. Their handset lineup increasingly sucks.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,877
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by johncase3 View Post
    The first touchscreen/slab that Blackberry did (Storm) was a piece of crap.
    Yes, but it was a piece of crap because it was a piece of crap, not because it was a slab or had a touch screen. Similarly, broken screens on a phones have more to do with the person handling the phone rather than whether it's a slider, flip, or a slab.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    8,763
    Device(s)
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirodd View Post
    Yes, but it was a piece of crap because it was a piece of crap, not because it was a slab or had a touch screen.
    I respectfully disagree. It was crap exactly because of the form factor. A touch screen slab should have certain tactile and OS characteristics that make the interface pleasant and efficient to use. Blackberry failed (probably) because they were out of their element. This is in contrast to the Palm and their Apple infused DNA which has, arguably, the best multitasking touch screen mobile OS ever made, but didn't have the resources to get it off the ground properly.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4,877
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by johncase3 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. It was crap exactly because of the form factor. A touch screen slab should have certain tactile and OS characteristics that make the interface pleasant and efficient to use. Blackberry failed (probably) because they were out of their element. This is in contrast to the Palm and their Apple infused DNA which has, arguably, the best multitasking touch screen mobile OS ever made, but didn't have the resources to get it off the ground properly.
    I guess we're gonna just have to agree to disagree.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Posts
    205
    Device(s)
    HTC EVO 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsnake49 View Post
    I fully agree. The 1Ghz processor in the iPhone 4 is plenty fast enough for a phone, at least for iOS. The only reason to have twin 1GHz processor is 1080P, but then why would you want to watch it on such a tiny screen? Maybe on a tablet, but again I think it's mostly the graphics processor that needs to be improved, not the CPU. I hope that we don't engage on a CPU war, but I feel the need to differentiate in a ecosystem like Android or WP7 can drive people to do irrational things.
    iPhone 4 has 800mhz processor i thought? 3GS has 600mhz. I agree with your point. Has my EVO's 1ghz ever been slowed down by anything yet? NO!!! Not even close.
    Desmond,
    Wilmington, NC

    Motorola I60c---> Motorola I860---> Blackberry 7100i---> Palm Treo 700wx---> Samsung Instinct---> HTC Touch Pro---> HTC Touch Pro 2---> HTC EVO 4G (present)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 116
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 12:32 PM
  2. Interview with sprint on thursday. What can i expect?
    By Stratusguitar in forum Sprint Employee Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-14-2010, 01:57 PM
  3. Getting a HTC Droid Inc next Thursday
    By shyguy87 in forum Motorola
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 12:50 PM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-19-2009, 08:42 PM

Bookmarks