Thread: iPhone 4 for work - email functionality

Device(s)
    Nokia 6275i
    Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score

iPhone 4 for work - email functionality

Hi All,

I have always been a BlackBerry user for work, but would like to switch to an iPhone now that my current contract is coming to an end. Email is important to me for work so I had some questions on it.

Our work email is not exchange and is not accessible remotely other than with VPN's, which basically means I can't directly access my email from my device. How I get around this with my BlackBerry is I forward all my work email to my BlackBerry email address that you can set up. I also change my "Reply To" address in the BlackBerry setup to be my work address - this part is important to me as it means conversations still route through my work email address.

Is there any way to replicate this on the iPhone? Do you get a carrier specific email address that you can set up similar to the above with an iPhone or is that a BlackBerry only thing?

My thoughts are I can just use gmail, and I have played around with my gmail account and changed the reply to address which works great from the normal computer version of gmail, however as I understand it there is no way to change the reply to address in gmail when using it on the iPhone? Also, would emails be pushed instantly with this method?

The whole email functionality works great with BlackBerry, but if possible I'd love to join the iPhone world because of basically every other aspect that it does better. I'm curious to hear of people using their iPhone for work email - I suspect most people have exchange set up rather than any kind of forwarding/reply to address changing.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    I can't speak for Canadian carriers, but with AT&T and VZW you do not get an e-mail account through the carrier. There are however many options for free e-mail accounts (GMail, Yahoo! Mail, HotMail, etc.) that you can easily forward your mail to and receive it on the iPhone.

You can change the From: field to another e-mail address that's setup on your iPhone, but not to an arbitrary e-mail. You cannot edit the Reply-To: field.

You can have your e-mail pushed if it's either Yahoo! Mail, Mobile Me, or Exchange. Anything else will need to be fetched.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6275i
    Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    thanks for the reply, so it seems like it's worth getting a yahoo or mobile me account. Why do so many use Google? I guess the 15 minute wait to "fetch" messages isn't that huge of a deal.

It still sounds like I'm out of luck any way with the lack of reply-to option. Is it just me or is this a huge downfall of the iPhone?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Does your employer want you to reply to email other than through its closed system? Check with them before you try something which may be contrary to your employer's policy.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nufan81 View Post
    thanks for the reply, so it seems like it's worth getting a yahoo or mobile me account. Why do so many use Google? I guess the 15 minute wait to "fetch" messages isn't that huge of a deal.
    I believe GMail can be set up as an Exchange account.

Carrier(s)
    BELL Canada
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    I believe GMail can be set up as an Exchange account.
    Yes, gmail can be setup as an exchange account. That's the best thing to do.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6275i
    Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeiphone View Post
    Yes, gmail can be setup as an exchange account. That's the best thing to do.
    Can you elaborate on that? I realize gmail can be setup as exchange and the push works well, however this doesn't address the problem that the FROM field cant be changed to a different address. I had read online that you can go back into the exchange settings and put in another address however it always reverts back to the Original gmail address.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6275i
    Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Does your employer want you to reply to email other than through its closed system? Check with them before you try something which may be contrary to your employer's policy.
    Noits not a policy issue, as I stated we currently do it with our blackberries, I guess it's one thing the berries handle better than iPhones

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nufan81 View Post
    Can you elaborate on that? I realize gmail can be setup as exchange and the push works well, however this doesn't address the problem that the FROM field cant be changed to a different address. I had read online that you can go back into the exchange settings and put in another address however it always reverts back to the Original gmail address.
    Actually, the From: field can be changed as I noted earlier. The Reply-To: field cannot.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6275i
    Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Actually, the From: field can be changed as I noted earlier. The Reply-To: field cannot.
    Right, as you stated it can only be changed to another email account you have set up, not a different one (ie. my work address), which doesn't help in this situation. I was able to play around with setting up gmail using IMAP under the "Other" category, but you miss out on Push functionality. Seems that is the only way to go. I guess BlackBerrys are still good for something after all

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Also, in your first post you said your work e-mail system could be accessed via VPN. iOS supports VPN just fine, so maybe that gives you another option.

Device(s)
    Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s Black 64GB (wife's phone)
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't know exactly for gmail, but for a "real" Exchange server, the from field can not be changed...
    Yes you may be able to change it on your device, but it will always revert back to the email address configured on the server when you send an email... Only the server administrator can change your "from" email address.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6275i
    Carrier(s)
    MTS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zadigre View Post
    I don't know exactly for gmail, but for a "real" Exchange server, the from field can not be changed...
    Yes you may be able to change it on your device, but it will always revert back to the email address configured on the server when you send an email... Only the server administrator can change your "from" email address.
    Yeah as I said above this happens with gmail as well. The only way to change the FROM address was using the "Other" setup. It seemed to work well but you don't get the luxury of Push. It's not the worst workaround really, just means at worst you are waiting 15 minutes for an email to come through I suppose.

Thanks for the tip on VPN, didn't realize the iPhone did that. It's not really a solution either as I wouldn't want the VPN connected all the time, and turning it on/off to check email takes away the whole automation aspect, but it will come in useful for other things.

Cheers all

Feedback Score
    Coming from a 9700 Blackberry.. I know the pains of the change to iphone. I'd love if we can raise the tone of the email notification..talk about LOW!!

Anyone know how to customize that?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Not sure about Gmail, but for Hotmail you can set it up as an Exchange account, and put in a different email address. In the Account settings, it would look like this:

Email: [email protected]
    Server: m.hotmail.com
    Username: [email protected]
    Password: ........

When you send an email, it would show the sender as "[email protected] on behalf of [email protected]".
    When someone replies, it would reply to [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast