Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Lansing, MI - bad towers

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    More like pretend to have LTE coverage that it never had.

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ok, here is the latest update in the "my Verizon data sucks in Lansing" saga. Lansing got 4G LTE, we knew that. We also knew that the downtown tower on the Boji building did not get LTE. We also knew that coverage from that tower only pointed West, effectively making it useless for coverage along Washington Sq.
    I just got off the phone with Verizon who confirmed all of this, and that the Boji site is wayyyy over capacity. He informed me that within the next 2 weeks, a temporary site of some sort will be activated in the downtown area. He had no further information on this. So I don't know if its a site on a building somewhere, or a COW/COLT that will be set up.
    More importantly, he told me that early next year, they will be constructing 3 new sites in the downtown area. There was no hard time frame for this, but just sometime early next year. However, I don't take them for their word on that, as they said the same thing last year.
    So now we know that THEY know there are issues here, and they are going to do something about it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With that cell site only having 1 sector I wouldn't count on LTE being added without them modifying it, that usually requires approval too.
    Bye!

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bonic XT875
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Here's hoping.

Device(s)
    Motorola X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well, looks like the new Sensorly beta is up and running, and includes Verizon LTE coverage! Although, because LTE phones thus far don't really indicate their actual LTE signal strength, but rather their voice strength (except for that menu on the Revolution and Charge, correct?), the map only displays where handsets have indicated there being LTE coverage, regardless of signal strength.

So, looking at Michigan, what do we see? http://sensorly.com/Carte/4G/US/USA/...lte_310verizon

Nothing too surprising, really, especially in and around Lansing. Seems nobody around here uses Sensorly. Heck, I thought the dev had abandoned the app. Anyways, no hidden coverage areas*, at least nothing that anyone has captured with a Sensorly scan. There is one small area of LTE coverage up in Mt. Pleasant, and it's in a small stretch along a road that includes multiple Sensorly data points, so we know it's not a fluke in Sensorly's software. Of course, Mt. Pleasant (and much of the area between it and Saginaw/Bay City) was lit up along with Saginaw, according to Verizon's coverage map, but it was quickly removed from the map (see a a page or two back) for whatever reason. The few data points from that area indicate that there definitely is/was LTE coverage up there. It's just a shame that it isn't officially covered. But it is interesting that it's been so long. We've had what, 2 or 3 more major rollouts nationwide, and Mt. Pleasant still has not come back.

*Now, perhaps more interesting, or perhaps just a fluke... There is a small blip of LTE coverage (one single data point - again, no signal strength indication for LTE. ) just off of I-69 in Emmett, MI. Where is Emmett, MI, you ask? Kind of near Port Huron, but more importantly, nowhere near any existing LTE coverage. Could Port Huron really be the next LTE rollout for Michigan? Again, because it is one single data point, and because this might be an incredibly lucky signal from the Detroit region LTE coverage, I'm not going to get my hopes up, nor would I put money on it. But, in the event that Port Huron is next for Michigan, I would just like to note that I called it.

So, to keep us on-topic for the Lansing area... Sensorly. Run it. Make our map beautiful and full!

edit: For reference, I have attached the current Sensorly map of the area, as well as Verizon's coverage map. The data point on Sensorly's map can be hard to see, so I marked it with the red arrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Is anyone else in Lansing having data issues? I haven't had a data signal in at least 13 hours.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bonic XT875
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Over in downtown or all around Lansing?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Motorola Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Resolved, it was a phone issue. So has anyone spotted a temporary tower yet?

Device(s)
    Motorola X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Man, it's time to bring this thread and Lansing into 2012.

I don't work downtown anymore so I'm usually not around to observe the network during the day, but I do venture downtown to drop off documents here and there once a week on average. And until today, when I got within the downtown area between the taller buildings, I would always lose LTE. I would typically have full bars on 3G, but no LTE whatsoever.

And then today when I dropped some documents off at the Treasury building, I got out of my car and was shocked to see full bars on LTE. Speed test confirmed that I was definitely on LTE and that it wasn't a delayed indicator switch that is oh-so-common on Verizon's network.

Standing on Allegan, I noticed a few antennas on another building south of the 3G panels on Boji. I actually noticed these a few weeks back, but thought that they couldn't be LTE seeing as how I wasn't connecting to LTE when I was in line of sight every single time. Now, though, I suspect that they are actually LTE. They're the same exact size and shape as all of the other LTE panels around Lansing, and in looking around I could not see any other cell antennas anywhere besides the known 3G panels facing west on the Boji tower.

Reference picture: http://i.imgur.com/dGGMK.jpg
    Warning: Picture is full-size. White arrow is the Boji panels, black arrow is the panels I figure must be LTE.

Has anyone else noticed improved LTE coverage downtown? I was really, really surprised to see a strong LTE connect down there today. I figured that since Verizon gave the Lansing market an expansion really quickly after its initial launch that we wouldn't see anything more for a long, long time. Or am I just crazy, and was my phone just not working right, and was there strong LTE all over downtown all along?

Oh, and one other thing... this crap really grinds my gears:

Seriously? You cover 96 all the way from the Detroit Metro area... except for ONE tower?!?! Come the f on. The transition from LTE to the clunky, slow 3G network (especially along I-96 and I-69) is awful, and any streaming music/radio always cuts out. Verizon has been terrible about this in Michigan -- they did the same thing with Flint to Saginaw, where there was a 5-10 mile stretch that was just "extended LTE aka no-chance-in-hell-you'll-connect-here coverage," as well as with Flint to Detroit, where there was a gap of just extended coverage around Clarkston. Today's Detroit expansion (which, of course, included Port Huron as I figured it would) finally closed this gap, as well as the gap from Flint to Ann Arbor. But seriously, it's been at least half a year that that gap existed, and I'm sure this one will exist for awhile too. Seriously though, one tower? Geez.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Any ideas what other areas around Detroit were improved?

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs, iPad (2018), Novatel 7730L
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Old thread, but figured I might show how far Verizon has come in Lansing. One on the left is during lunch in front of the capitol building. One on the right is next to Cooley Law School Stadium, which is served by a DAS.
    Name:  Screenshot_20151116-124350.png
Views: 471
Size:  508.1 KB

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Nice but the ping need to be improved.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    Nice but the ping need to be improved.
    Lol heck I'd take that ping. I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between 39ms and 49ms. Or 29ms compared to 49ms for that matter.
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Latency drops to the low 30s when I switch to servers in Detroit and Chicago.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Verizon has made many, many improvements over the last 18 months in the Lansing area. Nearly every tower is equipped with Band 2, 4, and 13, and they have begun installing Band 5 as well. Additionally, they have densified their network significantly with small cells, of which I have located over 20. They are spread sporadically throughout the area as you can see ON THIS MAP, and I am sure there are many more on the west side..I just don't get over there much. Over the summer, they added capacity within Spartan Stadium, the Breslin Center, and Munn Ice Arena.

This small cell located downtown near the Hall of History is the standard setup for the area.
    Name:  butler-small-cell.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  77.1 KB

I don't have any speed test results handy at the moment, but the average breaks down as follows:

Downtown Lansing:
    - Peak: 15-25Mbps
    - Off Peak: 30-70Mbps

East Lansing:
    - Peak: 15-30Mbps
    - Off Peak: 35-90Mbps

Fastest result I've seen in the area so far was 135Mbps on my Nexus 6P in East Lansing...just happened to be very near a small cell.

There are still some problems within the State Complex buildings (all made of concrete..), but was told it is currently being worked on. Doesn't help the State's WiFi is unusable.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast