Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Nokia do what Hp is doing?

Device(s)
    FENDER,X7501+IPhone, HD 3G, XDA FLAME JasJar E90 E71 N95-8Gb,E51,7900,A1200, Artemis, TILT, TREO 750
    Carrier(s)
    CINGULAR [email protected]!
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb Why doesn't Nokia do what Hp is doing?

I have been thinking about this since I heard of nokia going the WP7 route. Why don't they just do what HP (flooding it to the masses no matter the main OS) is doing but on smaller scale. They should include Maemo on all their flagship devices such as E-series and so on which would be the second os. So that one could initially boot WP7 but have the option to boot Maemo as a secondary os. They have said it time and time again that Maemo is seen as a experimental os so provide it fluently upon us on as many devices as possible. That will allow many to play with it and explore it both developers and end users will be more subject to developing/purchasing a phone with more than one egg it's basket. Nokia has a perception to the mass especially from their Maemo purchasers as experimenting on our dime
    Last edited by aktopshooter; 03-09-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Feedback Score
    Uh, because they know nobody will want it?

Device(s)
    FENDER,X7501+IPhone, HD 3G, XDA FLAME JasJar E90 E71 N95-8Gb,E51,7900,A1200, Artemis, TILT, TREO 750
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Seriously its about allowing the masses to put their hands on the software. Only a few say tech/hackers or developers would be interested in a Maemo based phone. But if you allow putting the os as a secondary boot across a large percentage of your top end phones you would re-kindle alot of their sales. Everyone felt betrayed by them choosing to go with WP7 but if they were to institute Maemo under WP7 under a partition or something that would truly be the beginning of their experimental os. Don't charge $800.00 + dollars for a experimental phone or software instead institute it in your current high end device. Microsoft has given them a lot of permission to do as they will to the OS it's up to them to see how far they go with this. But as a long time Nokia users and a N900 user as my main phone I think this is something they can consider. http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20...=2547-1_3-0-20

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aktopshooter View Post
    one could initially boot WP7 but have the option to boot Maemo as a secondary os.
    I'm not sure how technically feasible it is to have a dual-boot WP7/Meego phone, but if it's possible, even at a small cost (say $5-10 per device), I'll second that motion. I'll even do it one further (once again, if possible) -- find a way to enable the users to flash Meego on Android phones as well. In my simplified (simplistic) view of the world, since someone figured a way to flash the N900 with Android, there should be a way to flash a Nexus S with Meego. That would rock.

In fact, if it could be done, I'd run out and get a Galaxy S 2 or a Nexus S tomorrow!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It can be as easy as just instituting two sources of flash memory in a phone which will be a minimum price increase on the over all production of the phone. Or they can simply partition an 32gig flash internal memory. This can certainly be done

Feedback Score
    Just because you flood the masses with something doesn't mean that it will take off. Nokia dropped MeeGo because after a year in development, it still wasn't good enough to compete. Pushing inferior products is what got them into the situation they're currently in in the first place

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Not to argue but so but would you rather pay for a phone like n900 @ like $800.00 with a development software and no official support? Or would you rather a WP7 OS with the development software available at will? Nokia has tried one method already so wut do they have to lose? Dual booting is greatly appreciated in every forum I know. If Nokia were to incorporate this in say their Series device or maybe even a new series of Hybrid sets they will gain back support and respect from the community

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aktopshooter View Post
    It can be as easy as just instituting two sources of flash memory in a phone which will be a minimum price increase on the over all production of the phone. Or they can simply partition an 32gig flash internal memory. This can certainly be done
    You know, if they could find a way to flash the N8 and the E7 with Meego, they might find a bunch of new fans :-)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Do remember that HTC manufactured Windows mobile phones with their integration of their own software which brought them to the top. If Nokia used a similar system of doing something similar it can either be used by who wants to have it or simply turned off. What caused HTC's success is that many were willing to try it which gave it's products and software more demand across all devices (everyone was installing their software as long as it could be installed on their device) Some even installed it after altering it to work

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    HP Makes computers, cellphones are a new venture/small fish for them

Nokia makes cellphones. They can't take it lightly.

Feedback Score
    nokia lacks flexibility, thats all i know

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    For enthusiasts that would be great. But enthusiasts are just a drop in the bucket compared to the general phone buying population. Look at the original Nexus. Its sales numbers were low because only developers and enthusiasts bought it. Another factor was that you could only get it from Google but that proves that the average person doesn't care enough to make the extra effort to get a flagship phone.

The average smartphone user barely knows how to turn on the damn thing and download stuff. He wouldn't even know why he would need a dual-boot phone.

Case in point...my sister. She bought an Iphone 4 for her daughter and an Iphone 3GS for herself. She's no techie, she just knew she wanted one because her friends have it and tell her how nice it is. She's not going to try to jailbreak it and customize it. It can make phonecalls and she can play games on it. That's all she cares about.

Another example (I already mentoned this one in another post): I was at the Sprint store and a guy comes in with his family and wants a phone for his wife that can do Apps. He mentions that he already has the Samsung Epic. He's got a top of the line phone, but he obviously isn't keeping up with the other phones in the same class. I got the imression that he barely understood what Apps were. I guess he saw enough Apple commercials.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cloneman View Post
    HP Makes computers, cellphones are a new venture/small fish for them

Nokia makes cellphones. They can't take it lightly.
    It's not exactly that. They have an established market, and can get things out that way. Nokia has an established market in cell phones, they could only use that to bolster some other market they're trying to get into.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    MeeGo still isn't ready. webOS has been for a long time. For them to do that, it has to be an actually good OS.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Whether it's a good idea is another question. I suppose offering dual boot MeeGo on Symbian phones wouldn't hurt, but on WP7 ones it would, because MeeGo's not ready for prime time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast