Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tethering through #777

Feedback Score

Tethering through #777

Hi,

I'm currently using a motorola w385 connecting out fine using a usb cable and setting up a dail-up networking connection that dails #777. This works great, but due to my phone only being a 1x data device I'm only seeing speeds around 100kbps. I know that the newer evdo phones will perform much better, however I was wondering if you guys (or ideally somebody with ntelos) knows rather this method will still work on the newer phones that support evdo?

If it helps the phone that I'm primarily looking at is the samsung messager touch!

I also know that I could get a blackberry that officially supports this, but I hate to pay 30 dollars more for something that I really only use 3-4 weekends a year when I'm away from my home or work internet connections!

Thanks,
    Andy

Feedback Score

Tethering via #777 Reply

Andy,

My name is Leslee I am a Customer Care Representative here at nTelos. I took your question over to our Technical Support Team and they said that there's a possibility the messager touch phone could work for tethering but cannot guarentee anything being that it isn't supported. They also said that the other thing that could not be guarenteed is even if you switch from a 1x device to a device that is EVDO capable that your tethering speed would be different than it is now. Again like you said above the only device we can absolutely guarentee tethering to work on as of now is a Blackberry. I hope this information helps with your decision and have a wonderful day!

Leslee
    nTelos Customer Care
    Marta J. Eukers
    nTelos Customer Care

Become a Fan of nTelos Wireless on Facebook! Follow nTelos_Wireless on Twitter.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply Leslee! Since you guys have the 30 day satisfaction guarantee would this mean that if for some reason the messager didn't work could I exchange it and try a different model phone.

I also just last night played around with using the DUN bluetooth feature which allows the phone to connect out using a standard modem interface through bluetooth. I know that the messager supports this as well so is there anyway that you could talk to the technical team and make sure they don't cripple this feature? I know that they didn't on my w385 because it seems to work great, just a little slow, haha!

Thanks for taking the time to figure this out for me, you guys have a great support team!
    Andy

Feedback Score

Messager

Andy,

I apologize for such a late response usually I am alerted when there is a reply! In case you haven't already tried the Samsung Messager you still can do this! As of right February however our 30 day return policy has now changed to 60 days. So if this something you'd like to try please go ahead and do so! Also, I will pass that along to our technical team I don't believe that they go into the phones and disable the features so if it is supported in the phone you should be able to test it! Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you! And just in case you do need more help my work email is [email protected] feel free to email me directly for further assistance or questions!! Have a fantastic Wednesday!

Feedback Score
    Thanks greatly for the response. I'll definitely be trying this out, however it'll probably be next September. I was talking to one of the ntelos reps and since I'm currently under contract it'll be then before I can get the promotional rate again.

Thanks!
    Andy

Feedback Score

Messager

If you email me at [email protected] with your phone number I can take a look at your account and see if there's anything I can do to possibly speed up the process if you are wanting to upgrade sooner Of course there are no guarentee's but it wouldn't hurt for me to take a look! We love helping our customer's in anyway possible so please let me know if you'd like me to see what I can do!!! Thanks again, Andy!

Feedback Score
    Email Sent!! Thanks for any information that you can give me!

Feedback Score
    Thank you for all your help Leslee everything is working great now!

To update the community throughout the whole upgrade process we figured out that the LG Samba will not tether properly (through usb or bluetooth), however the Samsung Messager works perfectly. I'm using the settings below!

Number = #777
    Username = [email protected]
    Password = ESN hex

With a strong signal strength I'm see around 1.2 mbs down and around 0.3 mbs up.

Feedback Score
    I've tried a variety of settings, and I'm getting nowhere. With that, I've started guessing -- and I hate guessing.

Any help -- even to point out that I'm an idiot -- is greatly appreciated!

-------------------

Settings used;

Number = #777 (and *777#)
    Username = 540xxxyyyy (10 digits; no leading 1)
    Password = 8-hex-string

Note: For the password, I also tried the ESN with a leading 0x, the word "ntelos" (lowercase without quotes) as recommended elsewhere. On a practical level, I have checked the ESN through two sources to make sure that I have not misread or mistyped one of the characters.

------------------

Details;

Android: 2.2.2

Phone: LG-AS740 ("LG Axis") - (LG.com AS740_datsheet.pdf: "Data Transmission: EVDO Rev. A, 1xRTT", phone reports evdo Rev. A.)

Thethering is enabled on the phone (blue USB circle shown, status reads "Tethering or hotspot active"). USB debugging was both on and off for different tests.

All other network connections are disabled and no network cables are attached.

Software: both wvdial (details below) and Network Manager under the current releases of Fedora and of Ubuntu with all updates applied. Network Manager under both Fedora and Ubuntu identify the USB modem device as "LG Electronics LG Android USB device" and Network Manager treats the USB modem as a wired device. When using wvdial, I have verified that Network Manager has been disabled; "service network-manager stop" followed by "ifconfig" to ensure that no connections are active before starting wvdial.

Testing:

*Network Manager reports a valid connection and that everything is fine, though the IP is a private one (192.168.42.* block) not the public address reported by the phone when tethering is disabled (70.32.221.*). Yet, with tethering, no web sites resolve. To eliminate DNS as an issue, tracepath was used to check the network connection to an existing public server using a known IP address. Tracepath identifies a private IP that is different than the one on the usb0 interface. Tracepath does not report any addresses outside of the private 192.168.42.* block, including of course the known IP of the public server.

* Wvdial fails to connect (see below).

--------------------

Results (from wvdial manual output);

# wvdial
    --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
    --> Cannot get information for serial port.
    --> Initializing modem.
    --> Sending: ATZ
    OK
    --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    OK
    --> Modem initialized.
    --> Sending: ATDT*777#
    --> Waiting for carrier.
    ATDT*777#
    NO CARRIER
    --> No Carrier! Trying again.
    --> Sending: ATDT*777#
    --> Waiting for carrier.
    ATDT*777#
    NO CARRIER
    --> No Carrier! Trying again.

[the repeats till CTRL-C is pressed to kill wvdial]
    Last edited by HermesToo; 03-10-2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: midssing details

Feedback Score
    I think that your problem might be that you're your username should be "[email protected]".

I actually use ubuntu all the time with rfcomm (for the bluetooth) and wvdial (to handle the DUN connection). My Configurations are below.

Quote Originally Posted by wvdial
    [Dialer Defaults]
    Phone = #777
    Username = [email protected]
    Password = xxxxxxxx #the x's should be your 8 digit esn
    New PPPD = yes
    Modem = /dev/rfcomm0
    Quote Originally Posted by rfcomm.conf
    #
    # RFCOMM configuration file.
    #

rfcomm0 {
    # Automatically bind the device at startup
    bind no;

# Bluetooth address of the device
    device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx; #Address of the device
    channel 8; #Channel for DUN bluetooth profile on your phone
    }
    I'd also question why your not using pdanet (disclaimer I've never had an android phone or used pdanet), but everybody I hear about with an android phone is using pdanet to tether their phones!

Feedback Score
    Andyvr4, thanks. No go on adding the dashes. The output from wvdial is the same, and the delays between retries looked the same. I'll tail the logs next to see if anything is different. Joy joy! :-/

I'm about to kick off for the night and will try other combinations and Network Manager in the morning, so I am really appreciative. Loaded on and will review pdanet, though my impression with tethering helper programs is that they only flipped the switch for you under settings and then did the same on your computer.

Any comments are very much appreciated! Thank you thank you thank you ... more if you have them!

(FWIW: My goal in all this is to learn enough to add tethered devices to an USB enabled router, so ease of use is second to learning how things work. The router will either be dd-wrt based (with openwrt packages) or openwrt. Both dd-wrt and openwrt support wvdial and acm devices as well as some others, though if I can't even connect using a friendly system like Ubuntu or (less so) Fedora ... I can't dig into those very hostile devices later or diddle with the code with any assurance.)

Feedback Score
    Your welcome, I don't really know what to tell you because those settings are working fine for me (I just tried last night again to confirm that they're still working), however it might have something to do with the phone as well. As I mentioned earlier in this thread I originally got an LG Samba which would not tether properly with these exact same settings, however the Samsung Touch that I've got now works beautifully.

I'm also not so sure I would suggest using this for your main internet connection through a dd-wrt router for a couple of reasons. First I'm not sure how much nTelos supports tethering like this (actually I'm pretty sure they don't) and you might get either a really large bill are your contract terminated (maybe ntelos support can answer more about this) and second the speed is going to be really slow for a home internet connection. I'm usually lucky to get around 1 mbps with it sometimes being much lower depending on my signal and this is a very high latency connection meaning that it'll feel much slower than a 1 mbps dsl or cable connection!

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    My name is Marta and I am a Customer Care Representative with nTelos. We offer tethering and mobile hotspot services on the majority of our newer Android smartphones, but it requires an additional package to cover the larger amount of data usage resulting from this type of activity. The mobile hotspot/tethering package can be added to any capable phone for $15 per month and can be done through Customer Care by calling toll free, 877.468.3567, or through email at [email protected].

Feedback Score
    FWIW, pdanet with no configuration worked. To figure out what they did, I decided to put wireshark in it and I then ran into problems capturing USB data under Windows. As this is a trivial thing to do under Linux, I decided to look at the USB chatter there though nothing looked interesting. I'm going to have to go back and debug it under Windows and I hope that Wireshark under Windows will be capable of something similar to Wireshark + other Linux tools.

This whole thing is a test of the local net for a client. This time next year, it won't be as much of an issue because of a new backbone and some companies that will provide some kind of wireless service to the area. The client was using a power line adapter from a company that is no longer is business, so they have very low expectations though because of the latency issues they can't use VNC over a satellite connection. DSL is not an option, cable would cost about $2-4K to run a line. There is no line-of-site that would make setting up a long range wireless connection. If I can pull this off, they will get a dedicated USB modem and an appropriate data plan. Most of what they do is low impact and they are cheap cheap cheap.

Feedback Score
    Marta, thank you for the response. For what it's worth, I'm running a test not changing my lifestyle. Additionally, this is the very first time -- after scouring your web site and looking through about a dozen forums -- that anyone has mentioned this. For what it's worth, I am aware of the 5G soft limit to the data plan and had no plans to exceed that 'unlimited limit'.

My questions to you are simple;

* Has Ntelos blocked tethering -- and all the problems I've had are because of that block?

* If so, why offer drivers for tethering and not mention the extra fee?

* If not -- and tethering is not blocked -- then what is the proper configuration under Android 2.2.2 using anything but Pdanet? (For some reason, Pdanet works without any problems. It didn't even ask me for configuration details.)

For what it is worth, I am currently using these settings and as noted before I have tried quite a few variations based on these as well as some other options;

* Number = #777
    * Username = xxxyyyzzzz (10 digit cell phone number with no leading 1)
    * Password = 8-hex-string (ESN)

On the sales end, what tiers do you offer for data plans using USB modems (not wifi hotspots)? Sprint seems to offer quite a few choices and they partner with Ntelos, though the customer in question would be connecting to an Ntelos tower most if not all the time.

I'd like to stop wasting time on this and actually make money. Currently, I'm spending unbillable time on this nonsense and I would be glad to send some business to your company instead.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast