Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Holy crap, now we have capped DSL!

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    OK for the record on netflix streaming in this particular instance:

http://www.xti9.com/netflix.jpg

So we are looking at 12.525MB per min, 1.503GB per 120 min.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Device(s)
    Ace,V950
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    OK for the record on netflix streaming in this particular instance:

http://www.xti9.com/netflix.jpg

So we are looking at 12.525MB per min, 1.503GB per 120 min.
    I can't see on my phone is that in HD?

Sent via the HowardForums Android app
    Why do peole that don't have Sprint, post in Sprint forums hmmmmm ie Troll Alert

If the economy is so bad way are you wasting $200-$2,000 with Verizon or ATT... shame shame

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rilharri View Post
    I can't see on my phone is that in HD?

I don't think Netflix streams true HD. But that screen shot is from a 1920x1200 screen. And my max transfer rate was 895kB/s (7mbit).

Feedback Score
    This isn't very different from what charter is doing here except they have the nerve to charge for it. Any way you look at it this doesn't belong in the wireless forum.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Comcast caps out 250 GB/month.
    Still better than what AT&T is proposing.

Still have my unlimited webs for my Torch...well, it's a BB so it doesn't use that much.
    Comcast never charged my former household for going over...pretty much every month. We had 5 IT people living in one house using about 400 gigs a month and not a word from comcast

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsmith59 View Post
    If the 2% of their customers who are data hogs move over to cable then it sounds good to me.

I figure on a 1.5/384 DSL line (what I've had for over 10 years) one would need to max out capacity in both directions for over 180 hours each month to reach this limit. Except for the unemployed who are streaming video all day instead of working I don't see how one could do it sensibly.

Of course, there are always a few posters here who can point out the unusual scenario where it is "necessary". But, generally speaking, very few customers would be seriously inconvenienced from serious usage. And if one is working at home and needs the bandwidth they certainly ought to be doing something productive enough to pay the modest overage charges.

Att dsl goes up to 6 meg per second and the dsl limit is 150 gig. It can be done. I hope att gets bad press for this like they did with with their ridiculous 2 gb cap. This is why most people hate at&t

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    150 cap is low. The fact that Uverse is rumored to get 250 cap instead is crazy here, considering that based off the nearest Uverse the top speeds they are offering in this area (Uverse isnt in my town, but one town over) is only 12mbs, whereas DSL is 6mbs. Not that huge a difference even not factoring in that Uverse bundles here are usually bundled with the 6mbs version anyway. Cap should be based on your speed you pay for, not just lump DSL as "slow" and Uverse as "fast so uses more data". They also need a more expensive plan that offers either no cap or really high cap, say $80 a month.

It's not THAT huge of an uproar though, some countries are getting tiered choices as low as 20-60gig caps. 150/250 still lets you use Netflix and youtube type sites without much worry (unless streamed video, like some have it, the only TV you watch). What it basically eliminates is massive torrenting (like full length movies and TV shows all the time) and things that consume data at rates and during timeframes where it isn't normally consumed.
    My opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer AT&T.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I have no issue with this on the wireless side, but to do this on the DSL side is ridiculous. I've never heard of DSL congestion warranting a cap being instituted. More than likely this probably won't effect me, but nonetheless I don't think it is needed. Oh well I guess it was bound to happen soon or later.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    Current:Bold 9650
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerRuling View Post
    .....Uverse the top speeds they are offering in this area (Uverse isnt in my town, but one town over) is only 12mbs....
    Isn't Uverse fiber? Why so slow?
    This confusion can easily be avoided if you pronounce the word intended aloud. If it has a voiced Z sound, then it’s “lose.” If it has a hissy S sound, then it’s “loose.” Here are examples of correct usage: “He tends to lose his keys.” “She lets her dog run loose.”

Loose
    not rigidly fastened or securely attached

Lose
    to miss from one's possession or from a customary or supposed place

Also, just because a word has an "s" at the end, doesn't mean it needs an apostrophe.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mick662 View Post
    Isn't Uverse fiber? Why so slow?
    AT&T caps their speeds......

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    AT&T caps their speeds......
    Well that sucks they cap it so low. Wasn't the whole point of fiber for "blazing fast" speeds? I get over twice that speed from plain ol' coax.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well that sucks they cap it so low. Wasn't the whole point of fiber for "blazing fast" speeds? I get over twice that speed from plain ol' coax.
    No, where did you get that from? The point was to "sell" blazing speeds...without the beef.

I don't know if ATT did this, but when Verizon was pushing fiber they destroyed the copper at the house so you couldn't get another provider. Crap storm perused and law suits started to fly, but Verizon forged ahead. Until the law got um! Smokin guns at the OK coral, stop stop!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    No, where did you get that from? The point was to "sell" blazing speeds...without the beef.
    Well that's what all the hubbub was when it first started rolling out. I don't know anything about it; we don't have FiOS or Uverse here.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    A friend mine was a former tech for AT&T landline here in CT, and he told me that DSL lines can easily hit 12Mbps. AT&T adds filters to the lines to slow down the speeds considerably. I've had AT&T DSL for many years. Started back in 2004, then I briefly went to Comcast for one year. I went back to AT&T DSL and the best they could offer me was 1.5Mbps, when just a year ago I was on a 3Mbps line. They said it wasn't possible to get those speeds at my location.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    DSL available...
    750k, 1.5, 3, and 6.

Cable available...
    1, 12, 18, and 25.

I happen to have 6Mb/s and was told basically to do so at my own risk - despite the fact I am one of the closest houses to our DSLAM lol. Line quality is a big thing here (here being 90% of my small town), houses are wired with the old 4-strand wires and typically where from from the 50s-60s when no one even thought about interference or anything.

I actually had to fight with AT&T about interference so much until they basically (for free) came out to my house and redid the filters/wiring. The pro: I don't have to use lowpass filters on my lines and I've had a rock solid connection ever since, the con: I can only plug my modem into 1 jack in my house..lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast