Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just got my iPhone 3GS stolen, what should I do? (Toronto)

Feedback Score

Just got my iPhone 3GS stolen, what should I do? (Toronto)

This morning while I was on the subway on my way to school. I dropped my 3GS on the ground and just quickly threw it into the front pocket of my backpack. I had fallen asleep on the subway after a long studying session from the night before. When I had awoken, I had noticed the front pocket was open and my 3GS was gone. I spoke to someone from the TTC and they said I could call the lost and found. However, as soon as I got to school, I logged into mobileme and was able to track the phone to a nearby house in the York Village by my school. First thing I did was to take screenshots of this and remotely lock the phone. Within a few minutes I was unable to track the phone again. Probably because they performed a factory reset. In this case what is the next step I should take? Is this just a lost cause? What really makes me mad was that someone basically mugged me while I was sleeping on the subway and no one else on the train said anything about it. I know it’s incredibly stupid of me to fall asleep on the subway like that but I guess that’s just the life of a student. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I am on Rogers if that helps.
    Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    If you know the exact location where the thiefs took it you should file a police report and let them take it from there.

If you have insurance you can file a claim for lost or stolen property. Otherwise you probably have very little recourse.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Feedback Score
    I have screenshots from when mobileme was able to track down the phone. Since the phone was on wifi, I'm not too sure how accurate it really is. Can Rogers do anything to help track down the phone?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    They could, and I don't know about Canada, but in the US they'd need a court order to do that.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KnifeySpoony View Post
    This morning while I was on the subway on my way to school. I dropped my 3GS on the ground and just quickly threw it into the front pocket of my backpack. I had fallen asleep on the subway after a long studying session from the night before. When I had awoken, I had noticed the front pocket was open and my 3GS was gone. I spoke to someone from the TTC and they said I could call the lost and found. However, as soon as I got to school, I logged into mobileme and was able to track the phone to a nearby house in the York Village by my school. First thing I did was to take screenshots of this and remotely lock the phone. Within a few minutes I was unable to track the phone again. Probably because they performed a factory reset. In this case what is the next step I should take? Is this just a lost cause? What really makes me mad was that someone basically mugged me while I was sleeping on the subway and no one else on the train said anything about it. I know it’s incredibly stupid of me to fall asleep on the subway like that but I guess that’s just the life of a student. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I am on Rogers if that helps.
    Thanks
    Once your phone went to sleep, the Wi-Fi went off. Locking prevented the phone from waking up to turn Wi-Fi back on.

Did you remember to call the carrier to deactivate your SIM card? The SIM card could be put into another phone. You stand to lose more from unauthorized use of your line than from the loss of the phone itself. International long distance charges, three way calling or call forwarding could run into the thousands of dollars.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Once your phone went to sleep, the Wi-Fi went off. Locking prevented the phone from waking up to turn Wi-Fi back on.
    Umm, are you seriously suggesting that Apple created a piece of software for tracking your iPhone so that you can lock it, but once you lock it you can never find it again because WiFi is disabled? *slap* - anyways no, WiFi can still connect. When the screen is asleep it turns off WiFi but 3G still stays intact. In the event that mobileme sends a request, WiFi actually reconnects even while the screen is off/asleep.

WiFi did not magically get permanently disabled because you locked the phone remotely. What actually happened is you locked the phone (why did you lock the phone?) and the thief was like "zomg, this is locked, I'd better restore it" - put 'er in DFU and did a restore. Either that or he turned it off. Or even turned off Cellular data + WiFi. Had I been in your position I'd not have locked it and hoped he just kept it and then you pop over to his house and hope you see some loser with an iPhone 3GS. At that point you've identified the thief and his place of residence so you can call the cops.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Without a data connection, MobileMe is unable to contact the phone. The Original Poster said that only Wi-Fi was on. He may not have had a data plan so turned off the data connection. If you have cellular data turned on, the location still can be reported while the phone is asleep. If the phone is indoors, the GPS may not be working. Then the location is determined by the Wi-Fi access point location, if Wi-Fi is on, or by the location of the cellular site to which the phone is connected. An opportunistic thief would not have had the software and cable to restore the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeySpoony View Post
    I have screenshots from when mobileme was able to track down the phone. Since the phone was on wifi, I'm not too sure how accurate it really is. Can Rogers do anything to help track down the phone?

Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Without a data connection, MobileMe is unable to contact the phone. The Original Poster said that only Wi-Fi was on. He may not have had a data plan so turned off the data connection. If you have cellular data turned on, the location still can be reported while the phone is asleep. If the phone is indoors, the GPS may not be working. Then the location is determined by the Wi-Fi access point location, if Wi-Fi is on, or by the location of the cellular site to which the phone is connected. An opportunistic thief would not have had the software and cable to restore the phone.
    I didn't see the phrase "only on wifi". He just said that the phone was on wifi (no mention of whether or not cellular data was turned on or off). To be fair, this may have been the case (or he might not have a data plan), but if I was going to make an assumption, I'd say he probably bought it with a data plan as the vast majority of iPhone users have data plans. Not really sure why you assumed the opposite considering he'd be an extreme exception to the rule.

And yeah, I see your point about an opportunistic thief not having the software or cable to restore the phone. iTunes and an iPod cable are REALLY rare. Nobody has them. And they're also impossible to find. </sarcasm>

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    If he were talking about how the location was determined, he would have no way to know that. If the phone had cellular data available, the Wi-Fi statement would be irrelevant. He would not know how the data were reported if both methods were available. As I mentioned earlier, unless the thief were cognizant of how the iPhone works, do you think that he would have iTunes and a cable ready to restore the phone to frustrate Find My iPhone? Many long time users do not know how to get into DFU mode.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    That sucks. I hope you'll be able to get it back. This happened to me some years back. I lost my phone at a corner store. Called my number and some random ghetto guy answered. I demanded my phone back and went into the worst ghetto in America to get it back. No problems.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7, Motorola Moto G LTE, Samsung Rugby Smart Nokia 6010
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If someone broke into your house and stole your flat screen TV, would you call Sony to see if they could find it?
    NO, you call the police.
    Your best bet is to take your screenshot to a local police office near to where the contact was shown on the map and have them investigate. No one on an online forum can help you get it back, only offer suggestions.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the advice, the phone itself had data turned off because I was about to go over my data and I didn't want my email fetches to push me over. The sim card has been deactivated already; I just need to file a police report now. The thief must have performed a reset as soon as I locked it because after I received an email notification of my iPhone successfully locking, I tried to send a message but it was unable to contact the phone again. Apple really should add a feature where once locked with mobileme or reported stolen/lost the user can not perform a restore without a passscode or maybe contacting Apple to verify proof of identify... a pipe dream I suppose.

Feedback Score
    So I filed a police report yesterday, I gave all the information I had including the address of the house I was able to track it to. The police officer I spoke with was surprise I was actually able to track it to a house. He asked for the phone's serial and IMEI number which I was surprised by that but he said that Rogers have told them to ask for this information when taking cases like mine. I'm hoping that the police and Rogers will be able to work together to help track down the phone. If not at the very least the scumbag that stole the phone from me. I hope this will scares him so in the future he thinks twice about pulling this same crap on another person. Right now I'm just waiting to hear back from them once they assign a detective to the case, which should be by Monday from what I was told. They said to call back Monday if I still haven't heard from a detective yet. I'm glad to hear that the police aren’t taking these types of cases likely.

Device(s)
    Samsung s8+
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    hope all goes well
    Freedom Mobile
    Line 1:
    $59 LTE Plan for $59
    Line 2: $45 Unlimited everything a month $45

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if find my phone tracking is enough to get a warrant to search a house?

and would the police take the time to search a home over a stolen phone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast