Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Just got my iPhone 3GS stolen, what should I do? (Toronto)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KnifeySpoony View Post
    "Apple really should add a feature where once locked with mobileme or reported stolen/lost the user can not perform a restore without a passscode or maybe contacting Apple to verify proof of identify... a pipe dream I suppose."
    I honestly hope that Apple consider this too. I hope that thief gets what he deserves

Feedback Score
    I contacted Rogers about my stolen iPhone and they informed me that there they didn't have a way to track down the phone, even after provided them with them the iPhone's IMEI and serial number. Is this true? They said even if police contacted them they said they still have nothing in place to track down the phone, I find this hard to believe. I also asked them if someone puts their own sim into the phone would they be able to tell, again they said no. This true as well? I'm going to give the police a call tomorrow and see what's going on with my case.
    @Nuclearjack When I filed the police report they said they might actually send someone to the house, they asked me how accurate Find my iphone was. Though I doubt they would actually do it...

@fairen I honestly don't know why they don't do something like that and thanks.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, I hope they investigate and find it. I'm pretty sure the cell company could triangulate the GSM signal via their towers, but that still won't give them an exact address like with GPS.

I set my phone to automatically lock with a passcode after 5 minutes, so if it's lost my data is fairly safe until I can track down and retrieve my phone using mobile me.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using HowardForums app

Feedback Score
    Wow seems like the police aren't going to help me anymore, they’re not returning any of my calls. -_-

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You may have to swear out an arrest warrant for the alleged thief by name to get the police to take action. The alleged crime did not take place in the presence of a police officer so they have no cause to make an arrest on their own.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KnifeySpoony View Post
    I contacted Rogers about my stolen iPhone and they informed me that there they didn't have a way to track down the phone, even after provided them with them the iPhone's IMEI and serial number. Is this true? They said even if police contacted them they said they still have nothing in place to track down the phone, I find this hard to believe. I also asked them if someone puts their own sim into the phone would they be able to tell, again they said no. This true as well? I'm going to give the police a call tomorrow and see what's going on with my case.
    @Nuclearjack When I filed the police report they said they might actually send someone to the house, they asked me how accurate Find my iphone was. Though I doubt they would actually do it...

@fairen I honestly don't know why they don't do something like that and thanks.
    It is possible for carriers to track phones by IMEI. In some countries there are laws that require carriers to block phones by IMEI if they are reported stolen. There is no law in Canada requiring it so Rogers doesn't do it. They see no reason to do it. If they did track or block by IMEI the customers might get their phones back, or at least have the satisfaction of knowing the thieves couldn't use them. It would also discourage the theft of phones. None of that benefits Rogers. In fact, phone theft is good for Rogers:
    The customers may buy replacement phones from Rogers, which my involve them extending their contracts.
    If the stolen phones are locked to Rogers, the thieves will become Rogers customers without Rogers having to subsidize the cost of their phones.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 VZW
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    ^
    exactly the reason Rodgers won't do it... they figure they'll still get revenue from that stolen phone from its "new" owner... sad but that's exactly their thinking

> Clearnet PCS: Nokia 6188 (1999)

-> Bell : Nokia 6185 -> Motorola ST7867W (99-01)

--> AT&T: Nokia 6360 -> Nokia 6200 - (01-04)

---> Verizon: LG VX6000 -> Motorola E815 - (04-07)

----> Cingular/AT&T: Samsung Blackjack -> 8525 -> RAZR V3xx -> iPhone (RIP) -> iPhone 3GS - (Jan 07-Dec 09)

-----> T-Mobile: iPhone 3GS (unlock) -> Nexus One -> 9700 - (Dec 09-Jun 10 )

------> AT&T: iPhone 4 -> iPhone 3GS - (Jun '10-Mar '11)

-------> Verizon: iPhone4 - (Mar '11-TBD)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck View Post
    ^
    exactly the reason Rodgers won't do it... they figure they'll still get revenue from that stolen phone from its "new" owner... sad but that's exactly their thinking
    Don't phone companies have sympathy for their customers anymore? -_-
    Seems like the police don't anymore, I've left a couple messages detective assigned to the case, not even a call back to tell me they're too busy with more important cases or at least to tell me that they've assigned someone to the case. -_-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2