Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPhone and MacBook

Feedback Score

iPhone and MacBook

I've been looking around at different carriers and different cell phones. I recently bought a macbook pro, so would it be best if I got an iphone now too? What can you do with the MBP and iphone together?? or should I go with what I really want and that is the HTC Evo?

Help

Device(s)
    Apple Iphone Unlocked.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Hi there,
    I have a Macbook Pro and Iphone. They work awesome together. You can use your iphone to tether data which enables you to get internet on your macbook pro on the road. You will need a good data plan to tether or jailbreak your iphone and use Mywii or tetherme. Or alternativly you can wait and put the new software (4.3) on your iphone then you can make a wifi network. Again you would need a good data plan.

M.O.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The thing I LOVE about having a macbook and an iphone is how seamlessly everything connects together. Everything syncs right out of the box (music, pictures, etc of course, but also calendars, contacts, even your internet bookmarks and email if you want) once something is set up on your computer, you never have to bother with the settings in your phone. If you check the right option, your home email is set up on your iphone completely automatically. No having to scour the internet for service packs, drivers, special programs or any of that other crap you may have to do with other phones.

Best thing I loved about this set up was that, depending on your settings, every time you connect your phone to charge, your information is constantly being synced back and forth ebtween your phone and computer without you even having to think about it. No having to manually sync or find the information to send to your computer or having to remember to backup this new appointment or contact or whatever. When you have a new appointment that you type into your computer, when you charge, it will then be on your phone. When you get a new phone number uptown and enter it in your phone, next time you charge it will be in your mac address book on your computer. Can't remember that website you were going to show your friend at their house? Oh, it's in my bookmarks on my phone. It's all native to the phoen and computer and works so well. I love it. I have since however upgraded to a mobileme account (people complain that it's expensive, but you only pay it once a year and it works out to between $8ish to $10ish a month depending on if you're in the states or Canada.) so all that syncing now gets done over the air as I enter it. (so if I add new info to a note, calendar appointment or whatever it is on my phone, ipod, ipad or macbook, the next time I open that program in any other device as long as it's connected to the internet, all the info I added in the native apps is automatically on all my other devices)

in short, it's wonderful and best of all, ultra easy. I recommend the iphone and macbook duo! lol!

Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Sigh. Typical Apple fanatics. There is nothing special about connecting an iPhone to a MacBook. Both OSX and windows use iTunes, which is used to sync the phone. All of the settings discussed above work for either a pc or mac. You can set auto sync or auto start iTunes + sync on a pc. There are no major differences between the Mac and pc versions of iTunes. You can tether a windows pc to an iPhone.

The only reason you'd need (yes need) a Mac is if you want to develop apps for the iPhone. Other than that there is no difference. Most other phones will work with a Mac, and probably all smartphones. So the fact that you have a Mac is no reason to get an iPhone.

That said, I have an iPhone 4 myself and absolutely love it. It's a great phone, but don't get it just because you have a Mac. Get the phone you want IMO.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm with Staeit on this one. There's really nothing special about iPhone & Macbook. They really work independently of each other and there's really no difference of an experience from the iPhone + Macbook vs iPhone + Windows.
    So you should choose the phone you want, don't just choose it to stay within the "Apple ecosystem."
    Not that you shouldn't consider the apple ecosystem. For example iPhone 4 has facetime. As of now, so does MacOS. You can facetime between the macbook and iphone and now iPad 2. Android uses different video chat clients.
    There is now Airplay which works between iPhones, MacOS, and Apple TV.
    I'm not sure these things in particular are important to you but consider them.

I don't know what the experience is like having an Evo with a Mac. I don't know how you get music and photos on and off it (I just don't know Andriod well enough.) Regardless of whether or not you have a Macbook is irrelevant. You'll be doing things the Andriod way.

I say get the Evo if that's what you want. That is assuming you've done enough research to know the difference between an iPhone and the Evo. But I see little about the iPhone that is unique to a Macbook.
    iPhone 11 Pro 256GB on Verizon eSIM (Get More Unlimited plan) + Mint 2nd SIM.

Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Actually yeah that's true. My wife has an iPhone 3GS and the latest 13" MacBook pro, and I have an iPhone 4 and a Windows 7 laptop. One benefit is that I am on wifi at school and so she can FaceTime with me whenever. And the iPhone has sooo many apps. Android does too though. Strictly as an iPhone fan, I highly recommend it. It's definitely a fair question you asked though. And like RF9 I am unsure of how your experience would be with android/Mac. I've been surprised at how much support there are for macs.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using HowardForums app

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G[s] (Black 32GB, Blackra1n JB 3.1.2, Blacksn0w UL 5.11)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've been a PC user my whole life. I still have to use one for work. But I just bought my first Mac a few weeks ago. I got the base Macbook Air with only 2GB and 64 GB SSD. I'm just going to say that its a much nicer experience overall than using Windows. And actually, it runs Windows quite nicely via boot camp also. I have to say, it's converted me fully having used it just these few weeks.

As for the OP's question, there are some minor things that the iPhone and Mac do better together. iTunes itself just runs better on a Mac, so the whole syncing experience seems much smoother on the Mac. I can't speak for another phone and Mac, but there seems to be ample support. But I would say that the iPhone will always work well with a Mac because they are designed, built, and sold by the same company, and that company prides itself on making their user experiences as seamless and simple as possible.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    Sigh. Typical Apple fanatics. There is nothing special about connecting an iPhone to a MacBook. Both OSX and windows use iTunes, which is used to sync the phone. All of the settings discussed above work for either a pc or mac. You can set auto sync or auto start iTunes + sync on a pc. There are no major differences between the Mac and pc versions of iTunes. You can tether a windows pc to an iPhone.

The only reason you'd need (yes need) a Mac is if you want to develop apps for the iPhone. Other than that there is no difference. Most other phones will work with a Mac, and probably all smartphones. So the fact that you have a Mac is no reason to get an iPhone.

That said, I have an iPhone 4 myself and absolutely love it. It's a great phone, but don't get it just because you have a Mac. Get the phone you want IMO.
    If that were the case, why are there so many threads not only around the internet but also on these boards from people who are going through third party fixes and online calendars (Google Calendars and whatnot) to sync information from their phone to the *whatever* then from the *whatever* to outlook or the Contacts program or to this program or to that program on their PC? Cause they like doing extra work for no reason, or because it's not actually as easy as you claim. Run a search and see how many people on this website are asking how to get their contacts from their iPhones to the PC, or calendars or whatever, and see how many people are offering solutions that involve downloading this program, or setting up that google account, or this online thing or that download. I can't believe that there's so many people that have no idea how to actually run the programs together on their PC and iPhone and would rather go to the great inconvenience of setting up online accounts and downloading more programs to their PC if iTunes really did just sync everything right out of the box.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Staeit,

Back at you. Your response is a typical pc user fan reply.

There are a few benefits: quite a few apps for iOS are now becoming available or were originally for Mac OSX. They perform a beautiful sync partnership: Things! Is an example.

Encoding movies for iphone works just like on pc's iTunes yet when you've already encoded on iMovie or FCP or tracks in GarageBand most of these are already in standards and get encoded when added to the appropriate playlist if quickly enabled to sync with iphone. I spend less time looking for free codec encode/decode software that's of good quality to work on pc. Not to mention more common spread of apps like Super - which is great - being repackaged and hosted on other sites that have bakeware in them. Supers official site looks questionable too.

Something about the experience is just that much better. You really have to use it over time to know. There are far better jukebox music sw out there though.

Oh yeah remote control iTunes from your phone and also that movie/photo show app ~ unfortunately in Lion will be gone since QuickTime will do this.

Sent from my Unknown iPhone using HowardForums
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback

Device(s)
    iPhone 4, HTC Inspire
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I agree with this 100% - when you have all products apple you are seamlessly synced and you don't have to worry about anything. iPhone is the best phone out there, MacBook Pro is the best laptop out there.

You can't go wrong with apple, especially now that there are rumors about MobileMe becoming free.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Howmander View Post
    If that were the case, why are there so many threads not only around the internet but also on these boards from people who are going through third party fixes and online calendars (Google Calendars and whatnot) to sync information from their phone to the *whatever* then from the *whatever* to outlook or the Contacts program or to this program or to that program on their PC? Cause they like doing extra work for no reason, or because it's not actually as easy as you claim. Run a search and see how many people on this website are asking how to get their contacts from their iPhones to the PC, or calendars or whatever, and see how many people are offering solutions that involve downloading this program, or setting up that google account, or this online thing or that download. I can't believe that there's so many people that have no idea how to actually run the programs together on their PC and iPhone and would rather go to the great inconvenience of setting up online accounts and downloading more programs to their PC if iTunes really did just sync everything right out of the box.
    What does any of that have to do with choosing iPhone vs. Android as a Mac owner?

The OP wants an Android phone. *If* he already uses Google for mail, calendar, Google Voice, etc. then he WILL have a more seamless experience with an Android phone. In fact possibly more inconvenient if he went with iPhone. And there isn't much unique the Mac that he's going to need the iPhone instead of Android.

It seems that some of the responses are hung up on why it's great to have a Mac if you have an iPhone NOT why to get an iPhone if you have a Mac. Yes, Apple has ensured that your iPhone experience is going to very good with a Mac and have a less interest in making that as good on Windows. So should an iPhone and iPad user get a Mac? Perhaps that answer can be argued "yes."

So back to his question "What can you do with the MBP and iphone together??" and I really can't think of much.
    iPhoto is one application that will import your photos from the iPhone or digital camera. Will that work as well with Android?
    FaceTime (vs. another video chat client.)
    Anything else?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Nokia and RIM have not been the most Apple friendly mobile phone providers in the past. Windows Mobile is definitely better with PCs. I can not comment on Android. In my experience the iPhone is the best mobile phone to use with OS X in terms of integration and easy of use.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RF9 View Post
    What does any of that have to do with choosing iPhone vs. Android as a Mac owner?

The OP wants an Android phone. *If* he already uses Google for mail, calendar, Google Voice, etc. then he WILL have a more seamless experience with an Android phone. In fact possibly more inconvenient if he went with iPhone. And there isn't much unique the Mac that he's going to need the iPhone instead of Android.

It seems that some of the responses are hung up on why it's great to have a Mac if you have an iPhone NOT why to get an iPhone if you have a Mac. Yes, Apple has ensured that your iPhone experience is going to very good with a Mac and have a less interest in making that as good on Windows. So should an iPhone and iPad user get a Mac? Perhaps that answer can be argued "yes."

So back to his question "What can you do with the MBP and iphone together??" and I really can't think of much.
    iPhoto is one application that will import your photos from the iPhone or digital camera. Will that work as well with Android?
    FaceTime (vs. another video chat client.)
    Anything else?
    the part I've bolded & underlined above are one & the same and HAVE been answered ~ you're just not seeing it.
    "What can you do with the MBP and iphone together??"

- Sync'ing of camera photos for future editing, annotating, and setting up for library to print (calendar/book/etc) in hard-copy.
    (yes with multiple third party tools/services this can be done on other platforms yet NEVER so effortlessly with few steps!
    - Bookmarks for browser are sync'd BOTH ways. Android didn't do this for my Mac+Safari.
    - Notes the entirety of Notes in Mail are sync'd ... Google doesn't do this too well (a folder nameplate is there but no content on the cloud.
    - the ADVANTAGE that I OWN the content still - not relying on the Cloud which at anytime can charge me for accessing that content.
    - Find my iPhone is now FREE - and many of the competition have this - but my Mac has the serial number stored already for Police reporting (PC does not via iTunes)
    - Dual-Band 802.11N WLAN access if hosted by iPhone.
    - I can create unique ringtones via Garageband and sync to the iPhone.
    - Movies can be perfectly resized for the iPhone.
    - iTunes U can be downloaded (PDF offerings as well) and sync'd for easy viewing on iPhone - bookmarks too.
    - Stored web sites - archives - are easily viewed on my iphone (PC didn't have this as IE/FF doesn't do the same web-archive extensions).

in the end its up to the OP to decide and choose what benefits them as its their hard-earned dollar.

Hopefully AppleCare will allow extension to include iPhone when you have purchased & applied to the MB/MBP - right now ONLY corporate AppleCare purchases does this.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8925
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    +1 to the iPhone macbook combo.
    It has always been a fight syncing any phone with my PC.
    iPhone and iTunes on the PC was a little easier but there were still early issues with photos / calendars / videos / and exchange email.
    iPhone and Mac, everything worked out of the box and still does.
    YMMV

We know about the iPhone, get an EVO and let us know how it works out for you.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Prom1 View Post
    the part I've bolded & underlined above are one & the same and HAVE been answered ~ you're just not seeing it.
    "What can you do with the MBP and iphone together??"

- Sync'ing of camera photos for future editing, annotating, and setting up for library to print (calendar/book/etc) in hard-copy.
    (yes with multiple third party tools/services this can be done on other platforms yet NEVER so effortlessly with few steps!
    I'm surprised that iPhoto doesn't see an Android phone as just another digital camera and sync with it the same way. I thought it would like any other digital camera.
    - Bookmarks for browser are sync'd BOTH ways. Android didn't do this for my Mac+Safari.
    Google chrome syncs with Google bookmarks as does Android. Helpful if you're a Chrome user (on any OS) but useless if you're a Mac Safari user. (I for one don't use Safari much.)
    - Notes the entirety of Notes in Mail are sync'd ... Google doesn't do this too well (a folder nameplate is there but no content on the cloud.
    I have to laugh about this one because iPhone couldn't sync notes until 4.0 if I recall correctly. As a result I found a 3rd party solution "Notebook" synced with Toodledo. Now that notes syncs I have is sync with GMail which works just fine, though I barely every use it (I use Notebook/Toodledo.) Still, if you use mac mail, then note syncing now works well (agreed.)
    - the ADVANTAGE that I OWN the content still - not relying on the Cloud which at anytime can charge me for accessing that content.
    Interesting point of view. I see wireless syncing to the cloud as a benefit over tethered syncing.
    - Find my iPhone is now FREE - and many of the competition have this - but my Mac has the serial number stored already for Police reporting (PC does not via iTunes)
    I love find my iPhone! I'm so glad it's free now. I'm actually looking forward to iOS5's rumored find friend feature.
    But iosn't that an iTunes feature (the recorded SN?) I don't know how Android's find phone software works. I don't really see this as a Mac integration thing. But again, if you use a mac, you probably use iTunes, and this is a sync benefit with iTunes, thus your Mac.[/quote]
    - Dual-Band 802.11N WLAN access if hosted by iPhone.
    Care to explain this? The iPhone doesn't do dual band 802.11n.
    - I can create unique ringtones via Garageband and sync to the iPhone.
    Can you not create ring tones for Andriod in garage band? Though the effortless auto-add to iTunes and sync won't work. So agreed this is a Mac integration benefit.
    - Movies can be perfectly resized for the iPhone.
    - iTunes U can be downloaded (PDF offerings as well) and sync'd for easy viewing on iPhone - bookmarks too.
    - Stored web sites - archives - are easily viewed on my iphone (PC didn't have this as IE/FF doesn't do the same web-archive extensions).
    Agreed on the rest for the most part. I don't see why a movie formatted for iPhone wouldn't work on Android, but one of the reason I don't have Android is because they don't yet have anything similar to, as good as, or even a replacement for something like iTunes.
    So from the perspective and assumption that as a Mac user you're going to be using iTunes, that reason alone is a reason to go with iPhone.
    And I had no idea you could store web sites on a mac and view them on the iPhone.
    in the end its up to the OP to decide and choose what benefits them as its their hard-earned dollar.

Hopefully AppleCare will allow extension to include iPhone when you have purchased & applied to the MB/MBP - right now ONLY corporate AppleCare purchases does this.
    I don't disagree in principal with you. I think a typical 'mac user' is going to find a much more harmonious experience with their mac with an iPhone than with Android. If you do things all the Apple way using Mac software, you're simply going to integrate better.
    I'm just playing Devil's advocate here because I think sometimes many mac users THINK that there is only one way to do things on a Mac and make the blind assumption that the iPhone is the only thing that's going to work for them.

Again, the OP said he wanted an Android and was trying to get advice as to why he should get an iPhone instead (I read that as almost a sacrifice.) Or maybe he just liked the phone (not necessarily Android) so it's more of an open question. You make some very good points. Without understanding how he uses his mac or why he wanted Android in the first place, it's hard to understand how to best recommend either.
    I'm relatively new to using a Mac (2 years) coming from Windows and Linux. I still prefer Windows 7 over MacOS. Some thins about Mac OS drive me up the wall, but that's another story. So I tend to do things more OS independent (like cloud syncing.) I reluctantly use iPhoto to import photos, but I export them back to JPG because I"m very nervous about having all of my photos in a single database file that if corrupted could lose all of my photos. But hey, at least it imports them nicely.
    I feel as if leaving the iPhone won't be disruptive to my mac experience. But someone who really does things all Mac is going to find Android frustrating, just as someone who want the flexibility of Android will fine the iPhone frustrating.

In the end, I still have more reasons to recommend iPhone over Android. I'm really just enjoying this debate as well as learning how people use their macs/iphones in ways I do not.
    (I'm going to check out garage band for the first time ever and try making a ring tone.)

Sorry for the long fragmented post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast