Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: AT&T to buy T-Mobile USA.

Feedback Score
    Well this is interesting.

I'm not an expert on these things, but I'm sure that over the next year, while the deal is finalized, it will be business as usual for T-Mobile. That means if there is already a T-Mobile iPhone 5 in the works, I doubt they'd scrap it.

There is also the possibility that AT&T will keep T-Mobile a separate brand (ala Rogers/Chatr/Fido).

Plus AT&T has been the first to get 4G out, maybe it'll be AT&T that craps their old network.

Either way, I'm excited about the possibilities.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Chill people. Firstly, it will be a while before it's approved, and then even longer to get the companies actually merged. In order to mothball the T-Mobile network they would need to basically throw away millions of dollars in existing phone stock, then give away millions more in free phones. And all that would do is move more people onto their already congested network. What they will do is keep the current AWS network and just merge the two. Current phones that share bands like the Nokias or the Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant will have access to both. T-Mobile will continue to exist as a flanker. Think when Rogers acquired Fido, it'll be like that.

This has two HUGE benefits for Wind/Mobilicity. First of all, the new AT&T, now one of the largest carriers in the world, will have good reason to push for pentaband HSPA phones to spread the load.

Secondly, the new AT&T will have a large amount of AWS spectrum unused that they reportedly intend to use to complement their 700 spectrum for LTE. This means that Wind and Mobilicity (and particularly Wind) will potentially have both sets of spectrum to match the new AT&T in an LTE network. In fact, if the 700 auction plays out like the AWS auction, we could see every Canadian carrier deploying an LTE network in 700 and 1700, meaning users could migrate handsets whenever they want.

Also, roaming is safe. They signed a roaming agreement. All this means is potentially access to AT&T's (better) EDGE network as well. So another benefit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by torontocolin View Post
    This has two HUGE benefits for Wind/Mobilicity. First of all, the new AT&T, now one of the largest carriers in the world, will have good reason to push for pentaband HSPA phones to spread the load.
    I'm sceptical about this, because it's going to mean phones will be that much more expensive to produce. And when it comes to sub-$100 dumbphones, it might just not be possible. It's the high-end Nokia and Apple phones that have penta-band stuff. Am I wrong?

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okboy View Post
    I'm sceptical about this, because it's going to mean phones will be that much more expensive to produce. And when it comes to sub-$100 dumbphones, it might just not be possible. It's the high-end Nokia and Apple phones that have penta-band stuff. Am I wrong?
    The sub-$100 dumbphones don't need to be pentaband, since people only use them for phone calls... So they don't put any data load on the network. It's the data traffic that AT&T would want to spread out to ease the load.

And for the more expensive phones, most of them have penta-band chips anyway, but they just get hardware-locked onto specific frequencies before they leave the factory. This is confirmed for Blackberries and the Verizon iPhone 4.

Feedback Score
    It's the high-end Nokia and Apple phones that have penta-band stuff. Am I wrong?
    Is the N900 an high-end phone?
    Does it have penta-band?
    I believe the Nokia 5230 does?

Carrier(s)
    BELL Canada
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsGood613 View Post
    & honestly, what is the big fascination with an AWS iPhone? If its not available on your carrier, jump ship or live with it.
    I'm more interested in having "all" devices support 850, 1900, and 1700. I'm using an AWS Nexus One right now on Rogers while I wait for WIND to come to KW. So I get EDGE. It would be nice to have a device that will work now and when I make the switch.
    Coverage Mapper - A crowd sourced cellular signal strength mapping application
    Download from the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...CoverageMapper.
    http://www.coveragemapper.com

The opinions stated here are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

Feedback Score
    LOL at people freaking out over everything this signifies. Some people here are relating at&t to Rogers and T-Mobile to WIND.

T-Mobile only had 33+ million subscribers. I mean it's not like WIND has anything to worry about, they have 250+ thousand subscribers.
    But here's an eye-opener for the WIND leechers, i mean fanboys. http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...-q4/2011-02-25

Look at the numbers, the millions invested, T-Mobile is not all that different than WIND in Canada, they are both backed by bigger global carriers who lose money all around the world. At the end of the day, they cut their losses and life goes on.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TendenZi View Post
    T-Mobile only had 33+ million subscribers. I mean it's not like WIND has anything to worry about, they have 250+ thousand subscribers.
    No, but those 33 Million Subscribers made it worth it for the large handset manufacturers to produce AWS handsets (in particular, AWS handsets made specifically for T-Mobile, like most of their Android lineup)...

The maybe 1 Million subscribers on the remaining AWS carriers (The 3 Canadian ones + Cincinatti Bell Wireless) simply don't have the market power to get AWS versions of HTC, Samsung, RIM handsets made. If AT&T decides to stop developing the T-Mobile AWS network, or decides to stop selling new handsets for it, we're going to be suck with a hell of alot of Huawei phones, and not much else. WINDilicity's selection already sucks... now imagine if us AWS customers didn't have T-Mobile USA's phones to choose from.

For the record I don't personally care about the iPhone, but I know the masses do for whatever reason.

I know how powerful AT&T is in the US, but I also think they might have some issues getting Regulatory Approval for this simply due to the sheer size of post-merger AT&T - especially after reading this article http://blogs.forbes.com/elizabethwoy...t-mobile-deal/. Even if it doesn't get Regulatory Approval, this is good for AT&T as they get to stop a potential T-Mobile-Sprint-Clearwire merger, which would be far worse for AT&T than the $3 billion penalty they will pay to DT in the event the merger doesn't get approval.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    It would not be expensive, it would be around an additional 15 cents per phone.

Feedback Score
    LOL at people freaking out over everything this signifies. Some people here are relating at&t to Rogers and T-Mobile to WIND.
    I think most people are talking about what it means for AWS phones. T-Mobile uses AWS technology is used by both Wind and T-Mobile. If There's only 250,000 AWS customers in the world, there won't be many manufacturers making phones that work with it. However, things could go the other way and AWS could be used by AT&T, and therefore we have a chance at an AWS iPhone.

Feedback Score
    But here's an eye-opener for the WIND leechers, i mean fanboys. http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...-q4/2011-02-25
    According to that article last year T-Mobile had a net profit of $306M and this year is was $256M. Net is after debt servicing. A 10 year ROI is pretty reasonable.

Deutsche Telekom had trouble in Greece and Romania; so they sold one of their few profitable assets due to very high debt ($800M loss this year, despite T-Mobile US making them $260M in profit).

It makes the gap for next year even larger but they must believe problems in those regions are temporary.

That is what your article said. How did you interpret it?

Device(s)
    Honor 7X, iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think most people are talking about what it means for AWS phones. T-Mobile uses AWS technology is used by both Wind and T-Mobile. If There's only 250,000 AWS customers in the world, there won't be many manufacturers making phones that work with it. However, things could go the other way and AWS could be used by AT&T, and therefore we have a chance at an AWS iPhone.
    That what happened to CDMA Nokias.They disappeared from the market.
    Tired of huge cell phone bills?I can help!Please,check and like my FB page below
    https://www.facebook.com/CellPhoneSaver

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rodtaylor View Post
    According to that article last year T-Mobile had a net profit of $306M and this year is was $256M. Net is after debt servicing. A 10 year ROI is pretty reasonable.

Deutsche Telekom had trouble in Greece and Romania; so they sold one of their few profitable assets due to very high debt ($800M loss this year, despite T-Mobile US making them $260M in profit).

DT had trouble in Greece eh? And sold their profitable companies to off set the debt. Didnt another COM company have trouble in Greece? Hahaha this of course is all due to the country s economic state though.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast