Thread: Is merger *REALLY* going to be the end of UMA?

Device(s)
    something free
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Is merger *REALLY* going to be the end of UMA?

Seems like among other TMO things that will be effected by the merger, UMA is sure to be a casualty. There's no way AT&T is going to support this across their whole network unless they planned to roll it out to everyone. And I don't think they have plans to do that (or they would have done it already). Totally bummer for my TMO (and ATT dead spot home).

BC, roamin Ab, Sk, Mb, Ak, Wa, Or, Id, Mt, Ut & Wy.
    Device(s)
    Rogers Bold 9900 / T-mobile Bold 9900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers(Canada) T-Mobile(USA)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Rogers in Canada has recently expanded their uma use, though they are charging for access to it. AT&T since it already works and is in use with t-mobile could expand upon it's use as it can alleviate their data network when users are on wifi.
    It's hard to say all in all. I am disappointed but it's too early to tell how this is all going to pa out. I don't think it will be all doom and gloom as everyone so far is painting this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    UMA sounds like something AT&T could really use, their network capacity is ALREADY strained. I wouldn't be so sure. Their Microcell is JUNK
    Bye!

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    ATTWS and Cinglebar were part of the UMA consortium and helped devise the spec early on. ATT and SBC resisted implementing as it had the capability of routing out their incumbent landline business. At this point in time, if they don't see the writing on the wall with regard to the dying landline business, then they're fooling themselves.

Given the hard push to WiFi for data offloading, the next logical step would be to promote UMA/GAN for voice. An iPhone implementation would validate its future. The likelihood of that is anyone's guess...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile | $10 UNLIMITED EVERYTHING + $20 SPEED BOOST
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    We'll see if at&t decides to be friends with Kineto Wireless for UMA.

Also will be interesting to see if they restrict IPs - thus possibly banning international roaming...
    T-Mobile. Connecting you when you need it most... disconnecting you when you need to connect with God's beautiful creation! Service is great in cities and highways, but in rural areas they leave you with just your surroundings. I encourage you to get T-Mobile, disconnect for a while!

I am glad that God is not like cell phone coverage. He does not hide behind mountains or loose us down long windy roads. The Lord levels mountains, and He makes our paths straight!

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    nightmare comes true! TMO is ready to be evil att
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    nooooo! i just got a new uma-enabled phone! that has always been one of my favorite features of tmobile! (other than their awesome CSRs of course)

Device(s)
    myTouch 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I just got the My Touch 4G in December. I heard on the news tonight that AT&T said that T-Mobile users would have to get new phones so they could use the AT&T 3G network. Glad I only paid $19 for it. But once the merger goes through, I will have a $19 Door Stop.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by blueoval4ever View Post
    I just got the My Touch 4G in December. I heard on the news tonight that AT&T said that T-Mobile users would have to get new phones so they could use the AT&T 3G network. Glad I only paid $19 for it. But once the merger goes through, I will have a $19 Door Stop.

no, the phone will continue to work on 3G after the merger, will support 2G and has WiFi.. it's still a smartphone.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kies View Post
    no, the phone will continue to work on 3G after the merger, will support 2G and has WiFi.. it's still a smartphone.
    According to an article in PC magazine - it is supposed to have the 850/1900 bands, possibly the 1800, too. I'm keeping mine, regardless. I like the screen and it is extremely fast with all the reference articles I have stored.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2381246,00.asp

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I love the G2 with UMA calling, I hope it will stay. Now after the merger, I guess [email protected] (landline) will be really dead. I guess we can add 3 more households to the no landline list once at&t kills this feature.