Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Avoiding roaming charges with locked iPhone?

I am going to the Caribbean in a week and I am thinking about bringing my iPhone with me for the wifi/iPod as I will not have computer access.

Would the Airplane mode + Cellular data OFF + Data Roaming OFF prevent my phone provider from charging me lucrative fees? Or do I have to remove my SIM altogether and unlock the phone?

I am running iOS 4.3 on the new bootrom 3GS and it is not jailbroken.
    Unlimited Local and Text | CID/eVM $56.60 all in | been with for 5 years

Phone
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Airplane Mode ON is all you need. The rest is superfluous for your situation.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phone
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Persuasion View Post
    I am going to the Caribbean in a week and I am thinking about bringing my iPhone with me for the wifi/iPod as I will not have computer access.

Would the Airplane mode + Cellular data OFF + Data Roaming OFF prevent my phone provider from charging me lucrative fees? Or do I have to remove my SIM altogether and unlock the phone?

I am running iOS 4.3 on the new bootrom 3GS and it is not jailbroken.
    You can turn Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on while in Airplane mode.
    Note: Your GPS chip will not work in Airplane mode.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. I hope some data doesnt leak out or Rogers somehow detects I'm roaming and charges anyways.

Phone
    iPhone4S 64GB
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Persuasion View Post
    Thanks everyone. I hope some data doesnt leak out or Rogers somehow detects I'm roaming and charges anyways.
    If you are that concerned then turn on airplane mode and then make sure data roaming is still set to off

Phone
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    With Airplane Mode enabled, the baseband is powered down, so there can't possibly be any cellular data transfer.

Phone
    iPhone 4 VZW
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    for extra piece of mind, you can also go into Settings > General > Network and turn OFF 'Cellular Data'... but as said, with Airplane mode on, no chance of inadvertent data...

> Clearnet PCS: Nokia 6188 (1999)

-> Bell : Nokia 6185 -> Motorola ST7867W (99-01)

--> AT&T: Nokia 6360 -> Nokia 6200 - (01-04)

---> Verizon: LG VX6000 -> Motorola E815 - (04-07)

----> Cingular/AT&T: Samsung Blackjack -> 8525 -> RAZR V3xx -> iPhone (RIP) -> iPhone 3GS - (Jan 07-Dec 09)

-----> T-Mobile: iPhone 3GS (unlock) -> Nexus One -> 9700 - (Dec 09-Jun 10 )

------> AT&T: iPhone 4 -> iPhone 3GS - (Jun '10-Mar '11)

-------> Verizon: iPhone4 - (Mar '11-TBD)

Phone
    iphone 16gb white soon to be unlocked?:D
    Carrier
    robbers:<
    Feedback Score
    as long as you have romaing set to off you'll be fine. Though, as mentioned for piece of mind you can turn it on to airplane mode it you're really worried. Im in teh states every other month for a week adn never had a charge, data wise, when roaming is off, not have i ever incurred a charge in/on my way to cuba with it off, which i go to every 6 months or so.

Have fun!

Phone
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Fido, RedPocket, Kolbi
    Feedback Score
    Just adding some more reassurance as a Rogers/Fido customer:

As long as you have data roaming off, no data is going to go through in the Caribbean, or anywhere else. I can confirm this with a Fido iPhone 3G, Fido iPhone 4, Rogers iPhone 3G and Rogers iPhone 4 in Jamaica (twice) and Bahamas (twice).

The airplane mode, cellular data off and SIM card out are just options you can take if you're a bit paranoid about it (rightfully so with all the horror stories, but unnecessary because "data roaming off" blocks all roaming data).
    Current arsenal: iPhone 5S 16GB / 13" Retina Macbook Pro 2.5ghz 8GB ram / iPad 2 WIFI 16GB / Apple TV 2 / Slingbox Solo / Acer Aspire Z5610 touchscreen all-in-one / Acer Aspire netbook

Fallen soldiers: iPhone 5 16GB / iPhone 4S 16GB / iPhone 4 16GB / iPhone 3G 8GB / BlackBerry Pearl 8100 / Motorola L6 SLVR / Nokia 5190, 3390, 8390, 3220 / Ericsson T18z / Mitsubishi G310 / Motorola C333 / Sony Ericsson T237

Phone
    iPhone 4 (iOS 6.1.2)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Turning off data roaming is not enough. There are people in other forums who have still racked up major data charges.
    Turning off cellular data alone might do the trick, but the only way to be 100% sure is airplane mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkside flow View Post
    As long as you have data roaming off, no data is going to go through in the Caribbean, or anywhere else. I can confirm this with a Fido iPhone 3G, Fido iPhone 4, Rogers iPhone 3G and Rogers iPhone 4 in Jamaica (twice) and Bahamas (twice).

The airplane mode, cellular data off and SIM card out are just options you can take if you're a bit paranoid about it (rightfully so with all the horror stories, but unnecessary because "data roaming off" blocks all roaming data).

Phone
    Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s Black 64GB (wife's phone)
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eastercat View Post
    Turning off data roaming is not enough. There are people in other forums who have still racked up major data charges.
    Turning off cellular data alone might do the trick, but the only way to be 100% sure is airplane mode.
    Exactly... Turning data roaming off is not enough...

My wife and me are both on Fido in Montreal... She has a iPhone 3Gs and I have a iPhone 4. A few months ago, she went to Burlington in Vermont for a few days and she had data roaming option set to off. But the invoice she got after her little trip had some data roaming charges.

Around the same time, I filled a bugreport with Apple for a bug I found in iOS with the Exchange synchronization (I have an iOS developer account). This bug was preventing the phone to get push from my exchange server because te exchange server had push disable while roaming. I wasn't roaming... I was using a Fido SIM in Montreal on Rogers's network... So I was essentially on my home network.

I did some tests with Apple... And if u remember correctly, they found out that USIM wasn't provisioned correctly and a part of the phone was thinking it was roaming. Apple support said that they were going to work directly with Rogers to resolve this issue... This was in September and no Developpement since then.

So if the phone was thinking that it was roaming, why did the data worked at first??(I was able to receive my emails by opening the mail app... Or surfing the web was working fine).
    So to me it looks like that Rogers did something to enable data when the phone is "roaming" (at least for fido) even if the data roaming option is set to off.

Phone
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    The Data Roaming switch only applies to international roaming, not domestic roaming like AT&T/T-Mobile or Fido/Rogers.

Sent from my iPhone using HowardForums app.