Thread: Switching from blackberry, bedside mode?

Device(s)
    Blackberry 9650
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Switching from blackberry, bedside mode?

I am a verizon blackberry user who has patiently been waiting for a verizon iphone for a long time. My upgrade just came up and I am really anxious to make the switch. I am just waiting for official word from apple on whether verizon will get the iphone 5 this summer before I make the switch. I want it now but I don't want to lock myself into a new phone for 2 years 2 to 3 months before it becomes obsolete.

Anyways none of that was the point of this post so I'll get back on track. I have been looking for a way to get something similar to the blackberry's bedside mode on the iphone. I have been reading this forum and tipb.com and cant seem to find what I'm looking for. Basically when you click bedside mode your clock comes up on the screen, the keyboard and screen dims very low, and the led notification light is turned off. These makes it so you can easily see the clock and any alarms you have set but the screen is dim enough that it doesn't distract you in a dark room.

The main feature I want from beside mode is sound profile switching though. When I enter bedside mode my phone automatically turns all alerts off except for incoming phone calls and alarm clocks. I can't sleep with texts, email, facebook notifcations, etc... going of all night. This is important to me because I pretty regularly get "emergency" work calls in the middle of the night that I need to take. I also don't want to miss an actual emergency call in the middle of the night because my phone is on silent.

Sorry for my extremely long post. I am just very excited to finally get an iphone. I can live without all my other blackberry features like bbm, which I will also miss, but I really like bedside mode. With the hundreds of thousands of apps for iphone I would think there would be something that could do this for me but I can't seem to find it.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Don't bet on an iPhone-5 until maybe fall, and it will be an LTE phone, maybe even global.

As of now, the closest you can get to BB's "manner modes" I have found is via jailbreak and an jailbreak app called "My Profiles", and I use an app 'iHome+Sleep' that gives me the bedside clock.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    IF its an LTE model as long as its bands are supported then it WILL be global. Nothing gauranteed about it being an LTE device - I still say HSPA+ and not LTE (Verizon specific only) due to battery capacity and life in such a small size.
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback

Device(s)
    Blackberry 9650
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am not super worried about the LTE, although I would really like it. If they came out and said September or something I could probably wait. It would be pretty painful though.

hmm I never thought about jailbreaking. Would it be worth the hassle if all I used it for was my bedside setup. I like being able to see the clock when I randomly wake up in the middle of the night but thats not the part I will really miss. There aren't any apps that allow you to preset a few profiles with different alert settings without jailbreaking? It seems like it would be a simple thing to do, although I'll admit that I know nothing about programing.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I know it feels good to be on a 1 year contract.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 VZW
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Prom1 View Post
    IF its an LTE model as long as its bands are supported then it WILL be global. Nothing gauranteed about it being an LTE device - I still say HSPA+ and not LTE (Verizon specific only) due to battery capacity and life in such a small size.
    that's the thing with LTE that people are forgetting... simply LTE does not a global phone make... vzw use 700mhz for LTE... at&t will use 1700 if they acquire T-Mo... if not, dunno if they have access to 700 or will have to use 850/1900... then europe, not sure what frequency they intend to use for LTE... but they have to roll it out first...

early days of LTE will be like the early days of GSM before tri/quad/penta band phones were available... nothing worked *everywhere*...

> Clearnet PCS: Nokia 6188 (1999)

-> Bell : Nokia 6185 -> Motorola ST7867W (99-01)

--> AT&T: Nokia 6360 -> Nokia 6200 - (01-04)

---> Verizon: LG VX6000 -> Motorola E815 - (04-07)

----> Cingular/AT&T: Samsung Blackjack -> 8525 -> RAZR V3xx -> iPhone (RIP) -> iPhone 3GS - (Jan 07-Dec 09)

-----> T-Mobile: iPhone 3GS (unlock) -> Nexus One -> 9700 - (Dec 09-Jun 10 )

------> AT&T: iPhone 4 -> iPhone 3GS - (Jun '10-Mar '11)

-------> Verizon: iPhone4 - (Mar '11-TBD)

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 (iOS 6.1.2)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Have we heard which bands Europe, Asia, South America and Africa plan to support?
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck View Post
    early days of LTE will be like the early days of GSM before tri/quad/penta band phones were available... nothing worked *everywhere*...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck View Post
    that's the thing with LTE that people are forgetting... simply LTE does not a global phone make... vzw use 700mhz for LTE... at&t will use 1700 if they acquire T-Mo... if not, dunno if they have access to 700 or will have to use 850/1900... then europe, not sure what frequency they intend to use for LTE... but they have to roll it out first...
    VZW is currently using USMH C-block for LTE, but they also hold licenses for LSMH A- and B-block in many markets. They have also stated that they plan to use their AWS spectrum for LTE in the future.

AT&T will deploy LTE in the LSMH B- and C-blocks they already hold, and then augment it with AWS and LSMH D- and E-blocks.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.