Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: whats a good cheap android phone

Feedback Score

whats a good cheap android phone

looking for a cheap android phone to try it out. Either locked to att or unlocked and off contract price.

The atrix looks cool but its a little high right now.

Feedback Score
    IDK I have the optimus v with virgin unlimited everything and 3g, and virgin is updating their 3g stuff on the towers. I heard in cali the 3g speeds are crazy. I only bought it because I needed gps asap for a trip. Pretty cheap.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I think that little T-Mobile Comet (Huawei Ideos) is a fine little device to cut your teeth on Android. It can be had for $150 off contract. Has Android 2.2 froyo to boot.

Only negative is, they're still locked to T-Mobile, but you can easily set up a prepaid account with PAYG data for ~$30 a month and use the WiFi mostly. After 2 months of being a prepaid customer with T-Mobile, they will give you the subsidy unlock code and then you could switch it to your AT&T service. It won't work on 3G on AT&T though. My guess is you'll decide if you like Android by that time though and will just pay for the new contract and get you an Atrix. You can then sell the Comet on eBay or CL and get much of your play money back.

Good luck,
    --Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / On YouTube: @AlexKidd4Fun

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Perhaps the Samsung Captivate? Or the HTC Inspire?

Both phones cost $100 with contract.

Device(s)
    HTC One X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The LG Optimus One from TELUS/Koodo is a pretty darn great value at $250 off contract (plus unlocking fee around $20)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd1977 View Post
    I think that little T-Mobile Comet (Huawei Ideos) is a fine little device to cut your teeth on Android. It can be had for $150 off contract. Has Android 2.2 froyo to boot.
    I'd second the vote on the Optimus. It's got a larger screen than the tiny Comet, and 3.2 inches vs the Comet's unseemly 2.8 (at an ugly 320*240 pixels), is worth hunting an Optimus down.

Virgin just recently jacked the price up to $200 from $150, but you can probably find it at the lower price or less from various retailers. Also, Revision A 3G, about as fast as 3G gets.

Sent from my Jax using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    How about the HTC Desire HD? It's cheaper than the Atrix and about $150 cheaper when I checked the priceing on timtechs

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 900RR View Post
    IDK I have the optimus v with virgin unlimited everything and 3g, and virgin is updating their 3g stuff on the towers. I heard in cali the 3g speeds are crazy. I only bought it because I needed gps asap for a trip. Pretty cheap.
    I would go with the optimus v. but vm speeds over are far from crazy.... about 67kbs/s :/
    Yeah, that's right, I rock a brick!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelRF View Post
    I would go with the optimus v. but vm speeds over are far from crazy.... about 67kbs/s :/
    mine is super fast. It was slow and unreliable about two or three weeks ago now its good enough for youtube. I heard vm speeds in cali are mindblowingly fast. Also they are in the process of updating the 3 g network according to them. I even think their share prices went down because of connectivity issues. Too bad their customer service will always suck, unless you get the direct number to the executive support.

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is now selling something called the LG Thrive for its first prepaid Android phone. It's a rebranded Optimus One. I would regard the Optimus One as one of the two best current low to mid end Android phones right now.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Device(s)
    Didnt u ask us that 4 times at the top
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhere View Post
    looking for a cheap android phone to try it out. Either locked to att or unlocked and off contract price.

The atrix looks cool but its a little high right now.
    That Thrive and Phoenix by LG look like they may be what you're looking for

Kyle
    thedroidugy

Feedback Score
    depending upon your budget optimus one p500 would be a good one, i got mine from timtechs and its awesome

Feedback Score
    I just got the LG Thrive and so far I'm loving it. It's around $180. I'm not sure if it is locked to ATT (it's a goPhone) or not, but you can get a 100Mb dataplan for $15. I was able to use it on Wifi before I even purchased any type of plan.

Feedback Score
    Got the Samsung Galaxy S: Captivate, At&t from Amazon Wireless for 1 cent.

Bought the Captivate about three months ago for one cent and its been real good to me. The phone is fast with tons of apps and a great camera.

A couple of things I did not like were:
    No flash on camera.
    No front facing camera.
    Some lag spikes here and there.
    The lights on the home keys are too dim and turn off too quickly.

Feedback Score
    Get a OG droid for 100 bucks off of ebay, then activate through page plus for a month or two to try it out.

Sent via the HowardForums Android app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast