Thread: HTC Hero on Verizon

Device(s)
    Mine: Ve20
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel------VZW Now
    Feedback Score

HTC Hero on Verizon

Hello I just am wondering if it is possible to activate the HTC hero from Alltel on verizon. I currently have an Alltel plan with the 400 text pack with unlimited m2m. I also have the $25 dollar tether data plan on my line that I will be putting the Hero on. I have already gotten the phone reasonably from Ebay. I would just like to know if anyone has ever tried to put the Alltel hero on Verizon after being integrated keeping the Alltel minute plan. I am currently having charging issues with my current Motorola VE20 phone so I wanted to upgrade while still keeping an Alltel device.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel------VZW Now
    Feedback Score
    Can anyone give me any information about this?

I have an Alltel minute plan
    I currently have an Alltel phone
    I have an Alltel texting plan
    I have an Alltel data plan for unlimited data

Most of my data usage is just from tethering but it would be nice to have data on the phone also.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel------VZW Now
    Feedback Score
    bump

does anyone have any idea?

Device(s)
    Droid X2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon. Damn, I miss Alltel though.
    Feedback Score
    Are you still under an "Alltel" contract? If yes you should be able to. When I was under contract with Alltel but already merged with Verizon I was able to switch from an Alltel PPC6800 to a Verizon crapberry Curve back to an Alltel Touch Pro with no probs.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel------VZW Now
    Feedback Score
    nope the meid isnt in their system. so I just bought a paper weight i guess.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    this is not my guide:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR PHONE
    CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also take no credit for this, other people found the info, i just applied it and am writing a simple step by step method to do it, the way i did it

All credit goes to the talented people over at these forums " http://www.mobile-files.com/ " who found how to do this

Also this is illegal in some states,countries, so beware, this is for repair and troubleshoot purposes

Also from my understanding CDMA workshop or other programs like this that are suppose to change the esn and meid for any phone currently does not work for the Hero yet so this info might become obsolete in a few months or so when these programs update and this process will be a few keystokes and a click away provided you purchase the software.......

Just to let you know i did this with an LG Rumor and a Sprint Branded HTC Hero, USB cables for both, and I am under Boost Mobile CDMA Unlimited whose parent company is Sprint, theoretically we are able to get Evdo speeds under Boost!

Read through thoroughly before beginning, and report results to help the community, and let me know if something is wrong with this walk-through so i can fix it

AGAIN I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR PHONE

1. Get the MSL code for your Hero ----- > (follow this to obtain it)

POSTED BY Johnsongrantr
    This is a modified guide I wrote for the samsung instinct that will walk you through how to get your MSL code and what to do with it.
    DISCLAIMER, I am ###NOT### responsible for any damage you do to your phone or your phone network with this information

---- How to access programming and service menus---
    *NOTE* only do this from an official build from sprint, anything with a modified dialer might not work *NOTE*
    *NOTE* only confirmed to work with official 1.5 or roms based off of official 1.5 ie fresh 1.1 *NOTE*

On your phone go to the dialer, then dail in any one of these codes below and after the last # you should get the menu or it will ask for "current code" aka your MSL #

##data# (##3282#)
    ##debug#(##33284#)
    ##diag#(##3424#)
    ##svn#(##786#)
    ##prl#(##775#)
    ##prev#(##7738#)
    ##akey#(##2539#)
    ##vocoder# (##8626337#)

-------How to get your MSL code---------------

1) download required 3rd party app

download demo version of CDMA WORKSHOP from
    http://www.cdma-ware.com

2) install the HTC SYNC & HTC HERO DRIVERS
    http://www.htc.com/us/support/hero-sprint/downloads/
    http://www.mediafire.com/?zmiuy0nmujwygiv

3)connect your phone via usb cable

4)dial ##diag# (##3424#) on your phone for diag menu, when prompted direct windows to diag drivers listed above

5)run CDMA WORKSHOP, settings at main screen on the right are as follows

com settings (AT mode)
    ---------------
    Port (com#) <--- click port and it should say "HTC DIAG COM PORT"
    Baud rate (115200) <--- use this setting

com settings (DM mode)
    ---------------
    Baud rate (115200) <--- use this setting

6) you should now be able to hit <connect> if it was successful you'll see in status bar <connected to com#>

7) now click <read> after a moment all your info will come up on left panel, phone # etc

8) click on security tab change the right panel setting and look for the following block

SPC/User Lock
    ----------------
    Defualt (nv_read) <--- use this setting

9)now click read if done sucessfully you'll see the block below this option flash red and give you a number

10)note the 6 digit number under <SPC/USER LOCK> the one that flashed red, ****this is your MSL number***

***** just an additional warning***** you can REALLY and I mean REALLY screw up your phone if you change one of the settings in those menus if you don't know EXACTLY what you are doing. This isn't for the faint of heart or the random tinkerer.... just be warned

2. Get the MSL code for your other phone you want to clone (follow the same steps as above just get the appropriate drivers for the phone)

3. Download and install QPST http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/fla...pst/12051.html and QXDM http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/fla...xdm/12052.html

4. Now write down the esn and meid from your hero, you can find in various places, ##3282# ,##786#, CDMA workshop etc....(note: you want the hex values)

Should look something like this:

MEID A1000009C57FQZ

ESN 8373B5C5

They might have an "0x" in front of them, just ignore that

5. Now pay close attention, following the example MEID and ESN i provided above you are going to seperate every 2 characters and then you are going to flip a few to make it backwards just follow my model and do the same to your numbers

Original:

MEID A1000009C57FQZ

ESN 8373B5C5

Seperated:

MEID A1 00 00 09 C5 7F QZ

ESN 83 73 B5 C5

Now Flipped:

MEID QZ 7F C5 09 00 00 A1

ESN C5 B5 73 83

6. Make sure you have USB Debugging enabled in your Hero
    Menu>Settings>Applications>Development>

Connect your hero to your computer, dial ##3424# and open up QXDM

(at this point i would look around QXDM and play with it a little bit just to get familiar with the UI, MAKING SURE OFCOURSE NOT TO WRITE ANYTHING TO THE PHONE YOU DONT KNOW WHAT IT WILL DO BECAUSE IT COULD BRICK YOUR PHONE)

7. Ok now that we are a little bit familiar with the program go to Options>Communications and make sure it is actually connected to the phone, click the drop down menu next to Target Port and select the COM port you have your hero on and hit ok

8. Now go to View>New>Common>Memory Viewer .... or click F4

9. In Memory Viewer, in the drop down menu next to Rows we are going to change that to 16

And in the Address bar, we are going to begin typing in these addresses
    and looking for our MEID/ESN of the hero in the flipped version of the numbers we did earlier

MEID

0x0142201C
    0x01422028
    0x015B46DC
    0x1876A658
    0x18771248
    0x187759D0
    0x188BF9AC
    0x189AAAEC
    0x189AABBC
    0x189B7CF0

ESN

0x015ADA85
    0x015ADB53
    0x015AF5C5
    0x015AF58F
    0x015AF693
    0x1876CB80
    0x18774744
    0x187764CC
    0x18858DE8
    0x188BF514
    0x188BF5EC
    0x188C5C18
    0x188CEB58
    0x188D13F0
    0x188D6760
    0x18D4133D

10. In the whole 16 rows that showed up begin browsing only for your MEID or ESN, depending on the address you are at. Only look for it in its entirety, there might be other characters that have some of the same values but you are only looking for the whole number not portions of it.

Once you see your MEID or ESN begin changing the values all to "0", they will turn red meaning you changed it, then hit the Write button and move on to the next address.

ONLY CHANGE THE VALUES CONTAINING YOUR MEID OR ESN, DO NOT CHANGE NOTHING ELSE

Note: a couple of the addresses above might not have neither your MEID or ESN, like in my case there was like 4 addresses that didnt have em, its ok just move on to the next address........

11. Once you have visited all the addresses and change the values all to zeros exit the QXDM program, unplug the hero and reboot it

12. Once the hero reboots dial in ##786# and verify the meid and esn in this screen all changed and now are all zeros, if they are not you missed an address, revisit the address, go back to step #9 and try again.

13. Now get the MEID from the phone you want to clone and write it down exactly.....
    (Note: If you have an old phone and it does not have an MEID and just has an ESN only it is still possible to clone keep reading, skip step 15 and do the steps in 15.b)

14. If you took your time and did the above steps correctly and the MEID and ESN changed to zeros your good to go, plug in your hero to your computer, dial in ##3424#, and open up QXDM again, check your connection to make sure its reading your phone in the right COM port

15. Now go to View>New>Common>Item View, or hit F11

Now at the bottom of QXDM there is a Command Prompt, type this command
    RequestNVItemWrite meid A10007Y8H9H89
    replacing "A10007Y8H9H89" with the MEID of the phone you want to clone

and monitor on the Item View Window that the command went through properly with no errors.

[15.b] THIS IS ONLY FOR OLD PHONES THAT DONT HAVE A MEID AND ONLY HAVE A ESN, IF YOUR PHONE HAS A MEID SKIP THIS STEP, YOU ALREADY WROTE IT TO THE HERO IN THE ABOVE STEP
    (Note: For a phone with ESN only you have to input a few additional commands)

Now go to View>New>Common>Item View, or hit F11

Now at the bottom of QXDM there is a Command Prompt, type thess commands

RequestNVItemRead scm , it should be 0x3A to imply meid mode.
    Now type in RequestNVItemWrite scm 0x2a ,to change it to esn mode.
    Now type in RequestNVItemWrite esn 0x012345678
    replacing "0x012345678" with the ESN of the phone you want to clone

and monitor on the Item View Window that the command went through properly with no errors.

16. Close QXDM, Unplug the hero, reboot it, and check to see that it wrote the new MEID onto the phone with ##786#, ##3282# and also in the Hero in Settings > About phone > Status , the ESN should of been auto generated for you as well.

17. Congratulations! If you got this far without bricking your phone you have successfully changed the MEID of your Hero.

18. Now just type in ##(Your phone's MSL Code)# in both phones and copy the MDN and MSID from your old phone into the Hero

And type in ##3282# in both phones hit edit, its gonna ask you for your service code, which is your phone's MSL code, and copy all the info from your old phone onto your Hero, making sure you get your Username and Password.

Note: in the Hero once you copied all the info you have to hit the Menu button and then select Commit Modifications, to confirm the changes.

19. Reboot your Hero and attempt to make a call , you should be all set. Test txting and MMS and internet without Wifi.

If everything is working for you, your all set. Congratulations! Turn you old phone off and put it in a safe place.

And Enjoy your Hero.

Note: After this step some people's reports have mixed results, some have data and voice working others might need to continue onto the next steps to get data to work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If data is not working move on to the next steps...
    (Note: These are steps not verified by me as I still dont have neither 1x nor Evdo working but some people say 1 or 2 or all of these following steps combined worked for them, so i guess it depends on the network you are trying to get on)

1. First attempt to update your profile if it can or update PRL
    Menu>Settings>About Phone>System Updates>Update Profile

Reboot and see if data works....

2. If still no Data, plug in your Hero to the computer, dial ##3424#, go to QPST folder and open QPST Configuration app.

Under the Ports Tab if the active COM port your phone is on is not in that list Click Add Port and add it.

Then go to Active Phones Tab, select the phone and then go to Start Clients>Service Programming

A new window opens, hit ok, then click Read From Phone on the bottom left, its gonna ask you for your MSL type it in

Then go to the M.IP Tab and under user profiles click on profile 0, click edit, and then deselect Profile Enabled, hit ok, then click Write to Phone.

Close the program unplug your hero, reboot it, and try your data again.

3. If still no data, plug in your old phone to the computer, open up QXDM
    check Connections and make sure your COM port is being read.

Go to View>New>Common>NV Browser , in the Category Filter drop down menu, filter only Data

Then scroll down to ID numbers 1192 and 1194

Click read and copy down all the values in there until u reach 0x00

Then unplug your old phone and plug in your hero, dial in ##3424# and go to NV Browser
    navigate to the same ID numbers 1192 and 1194, (just to be safe copy all the values here so you can revert back to the originals)

Then double click each value under the input column and it becomes changeable and change all the values to the ones from your old phone and hit write

Close QXDM unplug and reboot your hero, test Data again

4. If still no data, plug in your old phone to the computer, open up QXDM
    check Connections and make sure your COM port is being read.

Go to View>New>Common>NV Browser , in the Category Filter drop down menu, filter only Data

Then scroll down to ID numbers 465 and 466

Click read and copy down all the values in there until u reach 0x00

Then unplug your old phone and plug in your hero, dial in ##3424# and go to NV Browser
    navigate to the same ID numbers 465 and 466, (just to be safe copy all the values here so you can revert back to the originals)

Then double click each value under the input column and it becomes changeable and change all the values to the ones from your old phone and hit write

Close QXDM unplug and reboot your hero, test Data again

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If your like me and QXDM cant read ID Numbers 1192 and 1194 from your old phone giving you an error, hence, you not being able to copy them to your hero, then your stuck until someone figures this part out....

Apparently NV Items 1192 and 1194 are username and password which let you into the network...... when i try to use Data on my hero i get an error saying my "Error Code 131 Sign in failed your PCS Vision Username and/or Password may be incorrect"

THIS WAS AT YOUR OWN RISK

GOOD LUCK GUYS AND HOPEFULLY YOU HAVE MORE SUCCESS THAN ME, REPORT BACK WITH YOUR RESULTS