Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Abandoning auto-focus in the E series is a big mistake

Feedback Score

Abandoning auto-focus in the E series is a big mistake

I had a look at the specs on the E-6 and like the E7 it's going to have a fixed focus camera. It appears that Nokia has abandoned auto-focus as a feature for the E-series.

IMO this is a big mistake. Lack of auto-focus is close to being a deal-breaker for me. I like to use my camera as a makeshift scanner and it's not possible to do this without autofocus. I would have thought this is an especially useful feature on a business phone.

It's a real pity because the E6 brings something new to the table for the series: touch + qwertyface, higher resolution, 8GB internal storage. It could have been a fantastic device: a true successor to the E71.

I believe the argument is that keeping autofocus makes the phone thicker but that's hard to believe given the number of thin phones including the E71/72 which have had the feature. In any case I think having a slightly thicker phone is more than justified to keep autofocus.

It's clear that Nokia's OS strategy is a complete mess with no clear timetable on when their Windows Phone devices are rolling out. Unfortunately I think they are going badly wrong with their hardware strategy as well by abandoning autofocus which is a real pity because like I said the E6 could have been a fantastic device. I think they are really going to struggle in this "transition period" with only the N8 as a somewhat compelling device.

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    In many corporations, they don't like people using their mobiles to take pictures of confidential documents close up. Thus a requirement that your phone doesn't have a camera, or at least incapable of close focus, which is remove the autofocus.

I think its a stupid requirement, and even more stupid that Nokia would oblige to such requirements. Corporations are adopting iPhones anyway, despite its potential for corporate espionage.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Feedback Score
    Just as big of a mistake as not updating Symbian in a timely manner. Nokia is known for their high-end devices to have excellent, class-leading cameras, and now, they are like every other crap BB/HTC/etc puts out.

It's a disgrace, and it truly takes a dump on their heritage.
    I want to buy your Nokia E7.

HoFo Feedback (9+, 0-)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    In many corporations, they don't like people using their mobiles to take pictures of confidential documents close up. Thus a requirement that your phone doesn't have a camera, or at least incapable of close focus, which is remove the autofocus.

I think its a stupid requirement, and even more stupid that Nokia would oblige to such requirements. Corporations are adopting iPhones anyway, despite its potential for corporate espionage.
    I don't think this is the main reason for dropping auto-focus though. Most of the newer BB's have autofocus so I doubt this is such a huge issue. And I suspect such corporations would ban cameras altogether rather than just autofocus. If this is a big issue, the best response would have been to produce a variant without a camera altogether rather than dropping autofocus on the E7/E6.

IMO Nokia is just shooting itself in the foot. And it's a real pity because the E6 in particular could have been a really special device: a worthy successor to the E71. I think there is a significant potential market for a qwertyface with touch and there aren't too many phones coming out in that category. From what I have seen the E6 has higher resolution than its competitors like the Droid Pro. It has a smaller screen but that could actually be an advantage for many users since it provides a better balance between the keyboard and the screen and is probably easier to type on. And if they had added autofocus it would probably have had the best camera on a businessphone.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This isn't just an E-series decision. With the exception of the N8, all recently announced/released devices have EDoF cameras. Nokia managed to take one of the things that set them apart from other handset makers and destroy it. I have zero interest in any device that doesn't have auto focus and the ability to take macro mode shots.

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiplier View Post
    I don't think this is the main reason for dropping auto-focus though. Most of the newer BB's have autofocus so I doubt this is such a huge issue. And I suspect such corporations would ban cameras altogether rather than just autofocus. If this is a big issue, the best response would have been to produce a variant without a camera altogether rather than dropping autofocus on the E7/E6.

IMO Nokia is just shooting itself in the foot. And it's a real pity because the E6 in particular could have been a really special device: a worthy successor to the E71. I think there is a significant potential market for a qwertyface with touch and there aren't too many phones coming out in that category. From what I have seen the E6 has higher resolution than its competitors like the Droid Pro. It has a smaller screen but that could actually be an advantage for many users since it provides a better balance between the keyboard and the screen and is probably easier to type on. And if they had added autofocus it would probably have had the best camera on a businessphone.

Blackberry has special versions of phones that don't have cameras, They just don't offer them in retail but directly to corporations.

Device(s)
    Samsung i8910 Omnia HD
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiplier View Post
    I don't think this is the main reason for dropping auto-focus though.
    I don't either. It doesn't explain the use of fixed focus on the X7 and the C6-01 as well.

The simple answer is that Nokia cheaped out on the camera units, and slapped on a marketing term (EDOF, i.e. plain old fixed focus with software enhancement) in order to keep the bill of materials lower, and thereby increase their profit margins by a few slivers.

But I wonder if the knock on their rep of solid camera phones will be worth the extra decimal of profit on their balance sheet.

Device(s)
    Nokia E75
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Can somebody please tell me what is the hate for fixed focus cameras?? Like what is the main difference between a fixed focus and a autofocus camera?? Why when people look at camera specs for a phone they get upset about a fixed focus camera?? Is it really that big of a deal? Am I missing something?? When I looked at the video of a camera test of the E7 the video quality was great. Please explain to me cause I'm sick of the complaining of some people about fixed focus cameras.

Device(s)
    Samsung i8910 Omnia HD
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivraj View Post
    Can somebody please tell me what is the hate for fixed focus cameras?? Like what is the main difference between a fixed focus and a autofocus camera?? Why when people look at camera specs for a phone they get upset about a fixed focus camera?? Is it really that big of a deal? Am I missing something?? When I looked at the video of a camera test of the E7 the video quality was great. Please explain to me cause I'm sick of the complaining of some people about fixed focus cameras.
    Because they suck.

Device(s)
    Nokia E75
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_K View Post
    Because they suck.
    ....ummm okay can you please elaborate and explain to me how they suck??

Device(s)
    N86, N82 (backup)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The camera is a key reason why I buy Nokia phones. The N73 was my first. As you can see from my signature, I have owned enough Nokia's to see the difference. One of the first things I do when I get a new Nokia is test the camera.

1. I take multiple pictures of the same item in different light settings. This tells me how likely I am to be happy with my "real world' shots. (ie dimly lit tavern, or around a campfire)

2 I take a picture of an object moving, or I have one of my kids move his arms around, while I take a picture.
    I try this with different camera settings to see if Auto is suffice, or if I am taking pictures at a soccer game, I will need to change settings.

3 last, I take a picture of an 8x11 document to see if I can read it clearly. I use my camera to record documents, and to take pictures of product labels and such.

Nearly every Nokia that I have had, has auto focus. My current phone, the C7 doesnt. It takes excellent pictures (and video) in well lit areas. But is lacks when it comes to motion and close up pictures.

I can use my N86 in macro mode to take a picture of something with the camera 6-8 inches away. With the c7 I have to move back to about 15-20 inches. It makes a document barely readable.

Device(s)
    Samsung i8910 Omnia HD
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivraj View Post
    ....ummm okay can you please elaborate and explain to me how they suck??
    One example: I've used an E72 to scan business cards, and any odd document or flyer that I don't want to keep around.

With a fixed focus camera, this becomes nearly impossible, or at best, extremely difficult.

They also stink at impromptu portrait photos; they almost always come out looking like a mess, i.e. looking as if it was shot with a Motorola flip phone cam from 2005.

And let's be completely honest here: there's only one reason in 2011 to still go with a fixed focus camera, and that's to save on material costs. That's it. Let's not pretend that Edof is whiz bang new tech; it isn't. It's fixed focus with some software to mitigate that fact.

To me, this is a glaring signal that Symbian is moving quickly down market, like a hot rod.

Feedback Score
    They are working on a thinner 8mp AF unit, so hopefully AF will return in the next round of thin phones, at least in the upper end of the range and hopefully all E Series devices.

Device(s)
    Samsung i8910 Omnia HD
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T;
    Feedback Score
    Sorry Viipotttaja, but I'm not buying the 'thin' excuse. Nokia doesn't operate in a vacuum.

The iPhone and plenty of Android phones are extremely thin, and have managed to pack in an auto-focus camera.

Device(s)
    Nokia E75
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_K View Post
    One example: I've used an E72 to scan business cards, and any odd document or flyer that I don't want to keep around.

With a fixed focus camera, this becomes nearly impossible, or at best, extremely difficult.

They also stink at impromptu portrait photos; they almost always come out looking like a mess, i.e. looking as if it was shot with a Motorola flip phone cam from 2005.

And let's be completely honest here: there's only one reason in 2011 to still go with a fixed focus camera, and that's to save on material costs. That's it. Let's not pretend that Edof is whiz bang new tech; it isn't. It's fixed focus with some software to mitigate that fact.

To me, this is a glaring signal that Symbian is moving quickly down market, like a hot rod.
    I see, I never used a fixed focus camera before. I guess I just have to buy one and experience one to see what it truly is. Cause some videos I seen I didn't quite see what the problem was though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast