Thread: HTC Merge - WiFi Sharing

Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score

HTC Merge - WiFi Sharing

I picked up my Merge last Saturday and when doing so I asked about the WiFi sharing capability. The sales person told me that at the moment it is turned off. She wasn't sure why other than maybe Alltel had problems getting it set up. She did say that it would probably be activated in the next software update.

Just to clarify, I'm not referring to using a WiFi hotspot to make calls or get internet access rather than Alltel's towers. That works fine. Tethering the phone via USB to my laptop and using the phone for internet access also works great.

Maybe someone has info on how to activate it without waiting for an update?

Other than the WiFi sharing being inactive this really is an awesome phone!

Feedback Score
    Yeah, this is a disappointment for Merge users, and I assume will be the same for MX users since Alltel doesn't advertise the mobile hotspot feature for either phone. I spoke to a friend about this yesterday. He's a long time Alltel employee and recently switched from a BB to the Merge. He is also enjoying it except for the fact the mobile hotspot is disabled.

He's sure Alltel has it setup for a code in their system so that they can enable it ota with a paid subscription. But he also doesn't know when the option will be available. I imagine he'll find out more info as soon as anyone so I'll post when I know something different.

I don't have either phone (yet) but another Merge user posted in AndroidCentral forums about how to access the Wi-Fi HotSpot feature; eventhough it doesn't really matter b/c it still won't work. You may already know how and it could have even been you who made the post, but here are the steps for others:

Go to Settings / Applications / Quick Launch.
    Pick something easy to remember like Search + w or Search + h.
    On the list of applications to choose, select Wi-Fi Hotspot.

Apparently, there are also other apps found here that aren't listed in the main menu, like a Garmin Navigator app for one.

Device(s)
    String
    Feedback Score
    The Wifi hotspot feature will be available when the customers are migrated to the new billing platform. That is scheduled to be completed early summer. The Merge and MX will have an update at that time to enable the feature. The billing system was to have already been integrated, but has been delayed a little. Should be soon.

Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Towertester. I always love to hear a positive answer. I wonder if the email I received from Alltel telling me I would have to change my voicemail password sometime betweeen Arpil 15(?) and May 25(?), or sometime around there, and the new billing platform are related because that hasn't happened. I'm looking forward to having the WiFi sharing.

Device(s)
    String
    Feedback Score
    There are still a few market areas that have not migrated to the new voicemail platform. When this happens, you will have a new voicemail to setup.

Feedback Score
    I bought the merge off of someone and switched it out with my old phone and my hotspot works just fine. I dont use it much because I dont know if they are going to try charging me extra for it, although I have unlimited data. It is really cool to have though.