Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My battery is draining like CRAZY since updating to 4.3! Any1 have a fix that works?

Feedback Score

My battery is draining like CRAZY since updating to 4.3! Any1 have a fix that works?

Ever since I updated to 4.3, my battery has been draining like CRAZY. From 100% to 50% in 2 hours without using it, as an example. And the battery was FINE right before I updated. I've already tried the following fixes that have worked for others, but not for me:

1. Restricted iTune's Ping service
    2. Charged the battery up to 100% via AC outlet (wall outlet), left it plugged into the wall while I performed a hard reset, and then synced it with iTunes.
    3. Deactivated all of my mail accounts (including my gmail exchange accounts, although I did not delete them and recreate them as others have done; I figured deactivating them would virtually be the same test)
    4. Let the battery completely die, and then charged it back up to 100%
    5. Reset Network Settings
    6. Downloaded and installed an app from the app store called XSysinfo, which cleans up the processes that are running in the background.
    7. Installing and running SAM (Subscriber Artificial Module) so it would make the activation official vs a hacktivation

This issue is a known issue, even with those who are not JBing or ULing. Just look on the Apple forums and you'll find countess threads on the subject.

I have a couple more options that I know of:

1. Delete the gmail accounts that I have setup as exchange accounts, and then recreate them
    2. Restore my phone AS NEW, and not from a backup (still using Pwnage to create the custom IPSW)
    3. Use a friend's ATT SIM card to activate the phone for real (Make another custom IPSW with PwnageTool, and DEselect Activate when making it. Then, with my friend's ATT SIM, I activate it for real. However, not sure that this will work since people that are not JBing and ULing are also having this issue.

For Option #1, my question is will I lose my contacts, even when I recreate it? I know I shouldn't, because all of the info is on the server, but I did just recently in a similar circumstance.

Instead of deleting my gmail accounts set up as exchange accounts and recreating them, I just turned off the syncing of them. I figured that would be the same test, because they would not be active. When I turned off the syncing of the contacts on those accounts, it said I would lose the contacts of those accounts. I figured I would just get them back when I turned the syncing back on again, so I went ahead with it. However, before I turned it on again, I did a sync with iTunes and my iPhone. Somehow, it thought I deleted those contacts, so it got rid of them in my address book on my Mac. Then, when I turned the syncing back on, it got rid of them on gmail.com.

But here's what's weird. It only "deleted" 600 of the almost 1000 contacts that I had in one of the accounts. It didn't delete all of them. Not only that, but when I went into gmail.com, I found those 600 contacts in a newly created group called, "Other Contacts" (those brilliant guys over at Google ROCK!)!

So, I'm just wondering if I will have the same issue if I delete them. I don't want to go through that again.

For Option #2, when you do a restore and set it up as a new iPhone, then it deletes the Backup folder that iTunes makes for your iPhone, which contains all of your data. So you need to backup that backup folder so you don't lose your data, which I have already done, btw.

Here are the locations of the folder for each OS, in case any of you want to do it:

Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

The thing is, I want to keep my SMS's, along with everything else, of course. So I need to somehow get the data from my backup folder back onto the phone after I restore it again and set it up as a new iPhone.

My question is, if I set it up as a new iPhone when I restore it, and then RIGHT-click on my iPhone in iTunes and select "Restore from Backup" (before I do this, I will have overwritten the new empty iTunes Backup folder with my backup of my Backup folder that I told you about earlier), will this be the same thing as selecting "Restore from the backup of…" instead of selecting "Setup as a new iPhone" when restoring it with the custom IPSW?

If it is the same thing, and would give me the same battery drainage issue, I was given the tip to just backup my SMS's via iFile. If I have to do that, how do I get them back? And how do I back them up in the first place? Where do I back them up to? Do anyone have a link to a step-by-step tutorial?

No questions on number 3, other than has it worked for any of you when upgrading to 4.3?

Here are the specs of my iPhone:

3GS
    Jailbroken & Unlocked
    Used Pwnage and Ulstrasn0w to do the deed
    iOS: updated from 4.0.1 to 4.3.1
    FW 5.13.04

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Iphone 4 32Gb Black
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2. Restore my phone AS NEW, and not from a backup (still using Pwnage to create the custom IPSW)

that's probably the biggest thing. Issues may occur from restoring from backup. Especially if that backup was a jailbroken one.

Device(s)
    Apple IPhone 4 16GB Black (Current Phone)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular / AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I use the Auto3G app from Cydia, ever since then my batter seems to last forever!

It turns off the 3G radio when your phone is locked (Your not using it then anyway).

When you unlock your phone, it automatically switches back on.

You can set it to keep the 3G radio on if a certain app is open, like Pandora or something.

-TheChad

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rest_easy View Post

that's probably the biggest thing. Issues may occur from restoring from backup. Especially if that backup was a jailbroken one.
    Yes, it was a jailbroken one. So I'll definitely do that. After I do that, if I RIGHT-click on my iPhone listed on the left in iTunes and select "Restore from backup", will that just restore the data, or will it restore the whole phone all over again from my backup? If it won't restore just my data, how do I backup my SMS's when doing a restore as NEW? A step-by-step tutorial would be very helpful.

TheChad, that sounds like a cool app, but my iPhone is unlocked. I'm on Tmobile, and their 3G network does not use the same frequency as the iPhone does for 3G, so it's not compatible. My 3G radio button is always turned off. Thanks, though.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4 32Gb Black
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macselite View Post
    Yes, it was a jailbroken one. So I'll definitely do that. After I do that, if I RIGHT-click on my iPhone listed on the left in iTunes and select "Restore from backup", will that just restore the data, or will it restore the whole phone all over again from my backup? If it won't restore just my data, how do I backup my SMS's when doing a restore as NEW? A step-by-step tutorial would be very helpful.

TheChad, that sounds like a cool app, but my iPhone is unlocked. I'm on Tmobile, and their 3G network does not use the same frequency as the iPhone does for 3G, so it's not compatible. My 3G radio button is always turned off. Thanks, though.
    check the stickies and/or do a search. It's been gone over many many many times and should be readily available.

Feedback Score
    check the stickies and/or do a search. It's been gone over many many many times and should be readily available.
    Thanks for your helpful post, but I did that already. Did a search, read all of the threads that came up, and none of them had a fix that worked, hence the title of my post. I also thought it would be helpful to the HF community to have all of the fixes that I have tried, that have worked for others, all in one place.

If you know the answer, why not share it? Isn't that what this forum is for? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I guess it's easier to stay on you high horse instead of actually helping someone. I don't understand the logic of people like you.

Nuff Said

Peace Out

Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Has it also been gone over many many many times how making useless posts is useless?

@macselite: If you right click -> restore from backup it won't do a restore (as in download the Apple firmware and update), it will simply copy your profile over. This includes things like SMS, but really this is no different than initially restoring from backup. If you're going to do this you may as well just do the restore initially.

You can use some applications to extract your backup data. Just Google "itunes backup manager" and in most cases you can get the pics, videos, sms, contacts, etc. I think most of these are shareware applications though, not sure off hand about a good free one.

On a side note, I personally have not observed any battery life issues and I can't really believe that a "setting" is the problem. Are you running any active background apps? Try killing all the background apps and see if the battery life improves. Apps that actually run in the background like GPS and Radio apps will definitely increase battery drain. Granted I am using an iPhone 4 but my wife's 3GS has not had any issues with 4.3.1 either. Best of luck.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, guys.

@staeit So the iTunes backup manager software, will that also allow me to put my data back onto my phone, or is it just for getting the data that's on my phone onto my computer so that at least I have it and can view it? Can I view my SMSs with it? I assume there's a Mac version?

With regard to 4.3, even those who don't JB or UL have had major battery drainage problems. On the Apple forums, there are a fair amount of threads dedicated to it. I called Apple, and even they said it was a known issue, and that they were looking into a fix. Too bad 4.3.2 doesn't fix this issue.

It is weird that only certain iPhones have the issue, and not others, though.

Also, I was told on the Dev Team's blog in the comments section that when you restore the phone via a backup vs setting it up as a new phone, it causes the issue that I'm having. So that's my next option. I just have to make sure all of my data, including my sms's are saved.

Btw, this HF iPhone app is pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using HowardForums app

Device(s)
    iphones
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    i have a JB iphone4 on 4.3.1 and was having a horrible battery problem. about 5% gone every 15-20 minutes. without me doing anything.

i went through everything mentioned in earlier posts. my 'fix' was limiting the location services(gps) and also disabled mobileme.

yes i know mobileme helps with the lost iphone yadda yadda.... but after i made it inactive, it worked miracles.

there needs to be a better solution or fix from apple themselves. this is just unacceptable.

cheers everyone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
    i have a JB iphone4 on 4.3.1 and was having a horrible battery problem. about 5% gone every 15-20 minutes. without me doing anything.

i went through everything mentioned in earlier posts. my 'fix' was limiting the location services(gps) and also disabled mobileme.

yes i know mobileme helps with the lost iphone yadda yadda.... but after i made it inactive, it worked miracles.

there needs to be a better solution or fix from apple themselves. this is just unacceptable.

cheers everyone.
    Thanks for the tip, Moz. When you say "limiting" the location services, do you mean just going in to Restrictions in Settings, and turning off Location Services for the apps you don't use? If not, what do you mean.

And with regard to disabling MobileMe, do you have it configured in your email accounts section and you just have it turned off, or did you do it another way. I deleted my MobileMe email account all together, so I assume there's no way it can still be enabled, right?

Btw, I tried another fix that worked for others. I deleted and then recreated 4 Gmail accounts that I had set up as exchange, but it didn't fix it for me.

Since reading Moz's post, I have turned off wifi, Bluetooth, and turned off locations services for all but about 3 apps, and in the amount of time it took me to type this post (less than 8 min) it went down from 50% to 41%. Pathetic. It almost seems like it's getting worse.

I have two fixes left that I'm aware of:

1. Take an ATT sim card, pop it in, create a new IPSW with Pwnage tool, DESELECT "Activate" when making it, and then restore the phone and activate it via iTunes.

2. Restore it again and set it up as a NEW phone

Or I could do both!

If anyone else has another fix that worked for them, please post it so we can all benefit. Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    @staeit So the iTunes backup manager software, will that also allow me to put my data back onto my phone, or is it just for getting the data that's on my phone onto my computer so that at least I have it and can view it? Can I view my SMSs with it? I assume there's a Mac version?

With regard to 4.3, even those who don't JB or UL have had major battery drainage problems. On the Apple forums, there are a fair amount of threads dedicated to it. I called Apple, and even they said it was a known issue, and that they were looking into a fix. Too bad 4.3.2 doesn't fix this issue.

Btw, this HF iPhone app is pretty sweet.
    Depends on which backup manager you use. I haven't had the need to use any (and won't bother to install just to find out :P but you can definitely do so and figure it out Your SMS's are stored in a very specific way, and they should be easy to extract from your backup. I'd assume there is a mac version as well, Google is your friend.

It seems every time there is a new iOS people complain of battery life being worse than the previous version. I don't know how much validity there is to this. If your iPhone 3GS is back from June 2009 then maybe the battery is just going. They do have a shelf life y'know.

And Tapatalk is better than HF app, it's basically the same but with no ads, and you can use it to access thousands of forums. It is of course $3 but totally worth it.
    Thanks for the tip, Moz. When you say "limiting" the location services, do you mean just going in to Restrictions in Settings, and turning off Location Services for the apps you don't use? If not, what do you mean.

And with regard to disabling MobileMe, do you have it configured in your email accounts section and you just have it turned off, or did you do it another way. I deleted my MobileMe email account all together, so I assume there's no way it can still be enabled, right?

Btw, I tried another fix that worked for others. I deleted and then recreated 4 Gmail accounts that I had set up as exchange, but it didn't fix it for me.

Since reading Moz's post, I have turned off wifi, Bluetooth, and turned off locations services for all but about 3 apps, and in the amount of time it took me to type this post (less than 8 min) it went down from 50% to 41%. Pathetic. It almost seems like it's getting worse.
    I mean realistically you shouldn't have to disable 90% of the services I would personally consider to be essential. Clearly it's either a software bug in the OS that is making it drain quickly, some apps are running in the background draining the battery, or your battery is going dead. Either way what I'd suggest to you would be to just do a FULL STOCK RESTORE, from DFU mode, using Apple's signing server (reboot after removing any gs.apple.com hosts file entries to be sure) and set the phone up as new. Then install some apps, and use them to your liking and just do that for a day without your SMS and stuff restored. If the battery life is much better then you can deduce that it is somehow a problem with the profile on your phone and then you can find software to extract the data you want to restore back to your phone. But I'd test it out before I went through all of that.

Feedback Score
    That's the next fix I'm going to try, and I'm pretty sure that will fix it. I'm just trying to save time by trying the quicker fixes first.

Btw, what's this mean, and how do I do that?

using Apple's signing server (reboot after removing any gs.apple.com hosts file entries to be sure)
    I did use Google ;p. I only came up with outdated apps for Mac that don't work anymore, and the developer of the apps have ceased development. How ironic it is that the only working version for an Apple product is a Pc version. Guess I'm going to have to wip out my old laptop and give it a shot. Do you know if the trial version is a fully functioning version?

Regarding the validity of our claims that 4.3 drains the battery, google it and you'll find all of the validity you could ever want or hope for. Some Apple forum threads on the subject are 7 pages long. The change in my battery life was immediate and drastic. It was fine RIGHT BEFORE I did the update.

Btw, now my battery is at 19%. Does that seem normal to you? ;p

And I am constantly fully closing apps running in the background, as well as clearing the RAM with an app called Xsysinfo that I bought to try to get rid of this problem. Didn't work, obviously, even though it worked for others.

Device(s)
    iphones
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Yup, i meant disabling location services for apps i dont really use all that often. The mobileme i just made it inactive.

Since ive done all this, my percentage has only dropped by 4% in about 1.5hours. Thats including net surfing for about 20min, playing game for bout 25min and replying to posts.
    Last edited by MOZ; 04-18-2011 at 02:32 AM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, MOZ. I'm definitely going to have to restore it. Unfortunately that didn't work for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast