Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Sweet! I'll switch to Wind in a heartbeat if they are making an AWS iPhone

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 / Samsung Galaxy S / N82
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I really hope they will. Since AT&T and T-Mobile are merging, it makes sense that they will make the next iPhone compatible with AWS, which means I can use it with Wind. I should probably get a cheap phone right now with Wind to secure the plan they have at the moment with unlimited everything for $35, then cancel Rogers when this launches

Device(s)
    Motorola Atrix HD Maxx / iPhone 5 (backup)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by casperr View Post
    I really hope they will. Since AT&T and T-Mobile are merging, it makes sense that they will make the next iPhone compatible with AWS, which means I can use it with Wind. I should probably get a cheap phone right now with Wind to secure the plan they have at the moment with unlimited everything for $35, then cancel Rogers when this launches
    If and when AT&T and TMoble merge, AWS will not be used for 3G. AWS will be for LTE.
    Seems like it is cool to have these in your sig?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrsn1 View Post
    If and when AT&T and TMoble merge, AWS will not be used for 3G. AWS will be for LTE.
    Hopefully they release it now, since the merger will take some time to complete.

As another Canadian, I am glad if they do go forward with this, as it will allow many of us that want to move to the new carriers to do so. Right now, if you want an iPhone in Canada you need to go with one of the main telcos. The new players have great plans but use AWS so no iPhone usage, even at full price. The lack of a compatible iPhone is keeping a lot of people off of these networks, so I really hope Apple releases a compatible iPhone.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Apple iPhone 5 to support T-Mobile and all five 3G bands in addition to CDMA?

Zowee!
    This isn’t based on anything more than a loose tip and some speculation on my part, but it should would make sense, especially in the eyes of Apple and its quest to ship fewer SKUs. It has been widely rumored that the next iPhone will support CDMA and GSM frequencies, thus eliminating the need for Apple to ship different models to CDMA and GSM carriers. We exclusively reported that Apple is testing an iPhone for T-Mobile USA, but what if this was taken one step further? What if the iPhone 5 not only supported both CDMA and GSM networks, but also supported all five 3G bands in use today? This would open up T-Mobile USA’s 33 million subscribers to Apple’s iconic handset, while also some smaller carriers like WIND in Canada and others. Additionally, if AT&T’s T-Mobile USA acquisition is approved, great — T-Mobile USA’s “4G” network would be immediately available to help lighten the load on AT&T’s current network. If the merger isn’t approved, then Apple has immediate access to another large carrier with its iPhone 5 instead of having to work on another model separately. One phone to rule them all, right?
    http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/25/apple-...ition-to-cdma/

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Hope so. A factory unlocked iPhone that is truly a world phone and can work for almost any carrier would retain huge resale value.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is what I have heard from friends for the last few months. The chipset in the VZW phone already can do UMTS and CDMA, so it wouldn't take much to throw in a SIM slot, larger screen and A5 chip.
    Last edited by mandrsn1; 04-25-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    This is what I have heard from friends for the last few months. The VZW phone already can do UMTS and CDMA, so it wouldn't take much to throw in a SIM slot, larger screen and A5 chip.
    Technically, the VZW iPhone cannot do UMTS. The baseband/radio chip used in the VZW iPhone can do UMTS, but not the VZW iPhone as it is today (due to other missing components).

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Technically, the VZW iPhone cannot do UMTS. The baseband/radio chip used in the VZW iPhone can do UMTS, but not the VZW iPhone as it is today (due to other missing components).
    I omitted the word 'chipset'. Edited post...

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 VZW
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    exactly... AWS sadly doesn't have much to offer outside of large cities (at least here in the US on T-Mo... go out in the sticks with a T-mo phone and you're rocking EDGE... )... and IF the AT&T merger happens... buh-bye AWS 3G altogether here in the US...

it's stupid that the 1700 band is needed in the first place... but T-Mo (and DT) is so lame and poor they couldn't buy any 850 or 1900 spectrum, so here we are with some lame band... aka AWS.... and trust me, I've on T-Mo and loved them, but their 3G coverage sucks outside of large cities and metro areas...

> Clearnet PCS: Nokia 6188 (1999)

-> Bell : Nokia 6185 -> Motorola ST7867W (99-01)

--> AT&T: Nokia 6360 -> Nokia 6200 - (01-04)

---> Verizon: LG VX6000 -> Motorola E815 - (04-07)

----> Cingular/AT&T: Samsung Blackjack -> 8525 -> RAZR V3xx -> iPhone (RIP) -> iPhone 3GS - (Jan 07-Dec 09)

-----> T-Mobile: iPhone 3GS (unlock) -> Nexus One -> 9700 - (Dec 09-Jun 10 )

------> AT&T: iPhone 4 -> iPhone 3GS - (Jun '10-Mar '11)

-------> Verizon: iPhone4 - (Mar '11-TBD)

Device(s)
    iPhone 8925
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I would expect to see an T-Mobile iPhone long before there is one from AT&T that would work on T-Mobiles network.

But like the lottery "hey you never know"

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    An AWS-capable iPhone may not be driven by T-Mobile at all.

Consider that the AWS (band IV) downlink (2110-2155 MHz) is a subset of the IMT (band I) downlink (2110-2170 MHz), which is already supported in all current iPhone/iPad models.

However, the AWS (band IV) uplink (1710-1755 MHz) is a subset of the DCS (band III) uplink (1710-1785 MHz), which is not supported at this time.

Also DCS is not currently being used for UMTS/HSPA, but European providers are looking at rebanding the DCS band for UMTS/HSPA, just like they've done with the GSM band (band VIII). In order to support UMTS/HSPA over DCS, a 5th PA/duplexer module would have to be added. At that time, both the AWS downlink (which overlaps with the IMT band) and the AWS uplink (which overlaps with the DCS band) would be covered, so AWS support would pretty much be a byproduct of adding support for the DCS band.

I would not be surprised at all if the next generation iPhone includes UMTS/HSPA support for the DCS band, and thus incidentally also supports AWS, which could be used on T-Mobile until the AT&T acquisition is consummated and the 3G service is migrated from AWS to PCS.
    Last edited by XFF; 04-29-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ballerrrrrrrrrrrr

Feedback Score
    That would definitely be a good thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast