Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 87

Thread: Buying my first Droid soon. Should I switch to Verizon? How bad is At&t?

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    8
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for all the replies...

    I currently own a BB curve with no Data plan. I'm asking because I can't wait any longer for a smart phone...It comes down to whether at&t (or t-mobile if acquisition goes through) gets the GS2 before Verizon gets the Targa/etna/bionic.

    I've never had problems with At&t, but I've also never used 3g/huspa on their network. I wanted to switch to Verizon because everyone seems to say that Verizon's network is way better then att. However if there isn't much difference between the two carriers I will just go with whatever network gets their respective phone first. Plus Verizon has seemed to take a huge dump on their customers recently (NE2, no 1-year plan, tiered data soon) so I'm also held back by that. But again I'd forget that if the network is way better.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,980
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ForgeThatDroid View Post
    Thanks for all the replies...

    I currently own a BB curve with no Data plan. I'm asking because I can't wait any longer for a smart phone...It comes down to whether at&t (or t-mobile if acquisition goes through) gets the GS2 before Verizon gets the Targa/etna/bionic.

    I've never had problems with At&t, but I've also never used 3g/huspa on their network. I wanted to switch to Verizon because everyone seems to say that Verizon's network is way better then att. However if there isn't much difference between the two carriers I will just go with whatever network gets their respective phone first. Plus Verizon has seemed to take a huge dump on their customers recently (NE2, no 1-year plan, tiered data soon) so I'm also held back by that. But again I'd forget that if the network is way better.
    It's all location, location, location. I can tell you how awesome Verizon is here, and others will tell you how awesome AT&T is other places. It all comes down to where you live, work, travel, and play. Be sure to look up coverage on each carriers' website, but even that is a rough guestimate.

    For what its worth, the Bionic has been pushed back to late summer/early fall. They are "adding more features".

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    693
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, it depends on the location.. so check on yours which one is the best

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    3,954
    Carrier(s)
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jam08 View Post
    Yes, it depends on the location.. so check on yours which one is the best
    Indeed. Verizon has more coverage nationwide, but that doesn't matter if you live in a dead zone. That being said, LTE blows the doors of what at&t calls 4G.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,481
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Considering you don't have data now, do you plan on using more than 2GB? I know a lot of people hate that cap (me included), but there seems to be plenty of people out there who aren't even hitting 1GB of data on their smartphones.

    While 3G operates differently than 2G (which I'm going to assume your Curve uses), you should be fine with AT&T if it currently works well in your area.
    AT&T HSPA+_____________________________________________ ____________AT&T LTE

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Patriots Nation & St Petersburg FL
    Posts
    9,556
    Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    In regards to capped data, I hate it but have not gone over 1GB yet so I guess 2GB is enough.

    To the OP, since this is going to be your first smart phone what do you plan on doing with it and how often are you in a Wi-Fi area?
    Assuming you have unlimited text messages the any mobile calling feature is a great addition on AT&T. I use well north of 2000 minutes a month of mobile calling, it's nice to not have to worry about it.

    Base plan on AT&T will run you 85.00 a month vs Verizon @ 90.00 plus taxes on both.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BTA027
    Posts
    16,793
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    So screw aGPS, it's a scam, just use a better chip and antenna.
    How is it a scam? MS-based aGPS simply side-loads the almanac and ephemeris data over the cellular data network, greatly speeding up TTFF. It does nothing but help you see your position faster. How can that possibly be bad?

    PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BTA027
    Posts
    16,793
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post
    It's all location, location, location. I can tell you how awesome Verizon is here, and others will tell you how awesome AT&T is other places. It all comes down to where you live, work, travel, and play. Be sure to look up coverage on each carriers' website, but even that is a rough guestimate.
    So very true! No carrier is the best everywhere. If you can narrow down your location you'll get some more specific feedback, although in northern CA (depending how far north we're talking about here), VZW probably has an advantage due to CLR band vs. AT&T is all PCS in extreme northern CA.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    NIMbY Land
    Posts
    19,192
    Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    How is it a scam? MS-based aGPS simply side-loads the almanac and ephemeris data over the cellular data network, greatly speeding up TTFF. It does nothing but help you see your position faster. How can that possibly be bad?
    You use data, Garmin does not and it's faster to acquire. I think you'll find while assisted GPS does get it's fix faster compared to no assistance when using traditional "phone" navigation, but it's not faster than a traditional (sensitive) GPS chip like whats in a Garmin PND.

    I've actually run several Android phones and my GARMIN NUVI 3760T (iPhone like) concurrently and have witnessed the difference side by side. I might add that I don't think any Garmin PND has anything near the speed of the processor compared to any Android phone.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BTA027
    Posts
    16,793
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    You use data, Garmin does not and it's faster to acquire. I think you'll find while assisted GPS does get it's fix faster compared to no assistance when using traditional "phone" navigation, but it's not faster than a traditional (sensitive) GPS chip like whats in a Garmin PND.

    I've actually run several Android phones and my GARMIN NUVI 3760T (iPhone like) concurrently and have witnessed the difference side by side. I might add that I don't think any Garmin PND has anything near the speed of the processor compared to any Android phone.
    As you stated yourself earlier, a non-connected PND can take a long time to download the almanac and ephemeris data from the GPS satellite constellation (at a whopping 50 bps!). Of course, if the cached ephemeris data from the last session are still good, the PND can start up just as fast (or perhaps a tad faster if it has better hardware), but in every other case (stale ephemeris data, or location shift since last fix), an aGPS device wins hands-down. aGPS is simply another option for the device to start up, it can still operate in autonomous mode if there is no data network available, so in no case is it a disadvantage to have aGPS, it merely gives you the best of both worlds.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    5,133
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    You use data, Garmin does not and it's faster to acquire. I think you'll find while assisted GPS does get it's fix faster compared to no assistance when using traditional "phone" navigation, but it's not faster than a traditional (sensitive) GPS chip like whats in a Garmin PND.

    I've actually run several Android phones and my GARMIN NUVI 3760T (iPhone like) concurrently and have witnessed the difference side by side. I might add that I don't think any Garmin PND has anything near the speed of the processor compared to any Android phone.
    There's so much about how GPS works that you DO NOT understand. Try starting up that Garmin cold (in other words, wipe out the location, almanac, and ephemeris data) http://gpsinformation.net/main/almanac.txt then try to see how long it takes to lock. Or just take it halfway around the world and start it up there. It's NOT going to lock faster than aGPS because aGPS "primes" the GPS receiver with that information even when it starts up cold.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    8
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post
    It's all location, location, location. I can tell you how awesome Verizon is here, and others will tell you how awesome AT&T is other places. It all comes down to where you live, work, travel, and play. Be sure to look up coverage on each carriers' website, but even that is a rough guestimate.

    For what its worth, the Bionic has been pushed back to late summer/early fall. They are "adding more features".

    Ya for the last 2-3 months I've read all there is to read on 3 different forums on the Bionic. I feel sad giving up on it but if the S2 comes out first I won't look back. I would prefer to be on Verizon I think, but having a smartphone asap is more important.

    Quote Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
    Considering you don't have data now, do you plan on using more than 2GB? I know a lot of people hate that cap (me included), but there seems to be plenty of people out there who aren't even hitting 1GB of data on their smartphones.

    While 3G operates differently than 2G (which I'm going to assume your Curve uses), you should be fine with AT&T if it currently works well in your area.
    I don't think tiered data will be a problem since wifi would help out and I'm not going to be streaming hd or something when I'm not in a wifi area. I will be pandora-ing, internet surfing, gaming etc.

    I am at college in central california, but my home is an hour north of san francisco if that helps figure out which carrier is better. Thanks for all the helps guys.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    NIMbY Land
    Posts
    19,192
    Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by awj223 View Post
    There's so much about how GPS works that you DO NOT understand. Try starting up that Garmin cold (in other words, wipe out the location, almanac, and ephemeris data) http://gpsinformation.net/main/almanac.txt then try to see how long it takes to lock. Or just take it halfway around the world and start it up there. It's NOT going to lock faster than aGPS because aGPS "primes" the GPS receiver with that information even when it starts up cold.
    Why say that, you're jumping off of a cliff? I've been dealing with PND's for years, back when they came with data loaded from the country where they were manufactured. But nowadays that's not true, I can pull a new unit out of the box and get a fix in ~2min. And all you have to do is turn if completely off and travel more than 100 miles and it will have to D/L the data. If you don't use them for more than 3 day's you also will have to D/L data needed for a fix.

    So, in the end there are three states of activity that impede and enable a PDN. Also note that today's Garmins go into standby like an Android phone and do not turn completely off unless you power them down, something I don't do because standby lasts about a week.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    5,133
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    Why say that, you're jumping off of a cliff? I've been dealing with PND's for years, back when they came with data loaded from the country where they were manufactured. But nowadays that's not true, I can pull a new unit out of the box and get a fix in ~2min. And all you have to do is turn if completely off and travel more than 100 miles and it will have to D/L the data. If you don't use them for more than 3 day's you also will have to D/L data needed for a fix.

    So, in the end there are three states of activity that impede and enable a PDN. Also note that today's Garmins go into standby like an Android phone and do not turn completely off unless you power them down, something I don't do because standby lasts about a week.
    You realize that with aGPS on, you can get a fix in about 5 seconds, right? There's a huge difference between 5 seconds and 120 seconds.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    NIMbY Land
    Posts
    19,192
    Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by awj223 View Post
    You realize that with aGPS on, you can get a fix in about 5 seconds, right? There's a huge difference between 5 seconds and 120 seconds.
    Bad analogy. With a PND that's used every day (fresh data) 5 seconds is like dying of a thousand cuts for a courier. In my case I hit the power button or start the car (if it's mounted) and bam...fix. Off you go.

    I think my mistake here is one of relative use. Most users view a GPS fix as chronic but my use is acute in nature. They both involve pain, but couriers get dinged many times a day.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Switch DROID from Page Plus back to Verizon
    By nsteger123 in forum Page Plus Cellular
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2010, 03:14 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-08-2010, 01:19 PM
  3. Got a Droid Incredible, want to switch to Droid X
    By DeyBwah in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 02:28 PM
  4. buying HTC Droid Inc
    By shyguy87 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 09:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks