Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Remembering the great Symbian phones of the past

Feedback Score

Remembering the great Symbian phones of the past

Clearly Symbian is not long for this world and this forum is probably going to die down over the next year or two as well. I though this would be a good time to share our memories of the old times and of past Symbian phones.

My personal experience with Symbian is much smaller than many of you; the E71 is the only Symbian phone I have owned. I still have it and use it occasionally. It is still one of the best designed devices I have ever seen and it feels great in the hands. It has the best D-pad I have ever used and the qwerty-face form factor was so convenient sometimes with all those keys and the keyboard always available.

Before that I remember the awe I felt when I first handled the N95. It was hard to believe that all that power was packed in a single device. I thought hard about buying one but decided it was a bit too expensive in the end and ended up with the E71 a year later.

What about you? I would especially like to hear stories about the early Symbian phones.

Device(s)
    Nokia E72 / Motorola Milestone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Past:

6682 - First Phone that I ever tethered with

E65

e71

N97

N8

Present:

e72

Still Planning on Getting in the Future:

Nokia e6

Honestly I still really like the OS. (obviously since I'm thinking to get at least 1 more phone) Plus I still use my e72. Long day ahead of me for work, and not wanting to worry about battery life? Symbian gets the job done. Especially the E-Series, just quality that I could ALWAYS count on.

Take it from somebody whose owned EVERY major mobile OS out there at one point or another. I've had a Symbian phone to fall back on. Last year at this point, I was really excited about the Symbian Meego marriage though QT. While others were leaving, I was excited about the future. Even around the holidays last year I was really looking to Nokia's future in 2011.

Unfortunately last February officially killed it all.

As much as I like using Android, I sometimes still think from time to time about what could have been this year for Nokia. And while the ship is sinking, I still plan on having fun going down with this ship. I may not get my N900 successor that I always wanted, but the E6 in so many ways seems to be the perfect phone for me (AKA the true e71 successor) to end up going all out with.

Hopefully I can count on the e6 when needed, just like I currently do with my e72.

Years from now when Quad-band phones are truly outdated, I'll probably still have a E-series Symbian phone on hand when needed to get the job done...

Feedback Score
    So many great phones over the years (sigh)

3650 was my first.

I absolutely loved the design, and it was also my first phone with a camera and a memory card slot (MMC). Everything about the phone just screamed "bleeding edge" to me, and it forever changed my view of what a cellphone was capable of doing.

The pinnacle of greatness for me (and many others I'm sure), was the N95-3/4. It was everything we had hoped for from Nokia at the time: 3.5mm jack, 850/1900 3G, large battery, wifi, gps, 5MP camera, plenty of RAM, tv-out, etc. There simply wasn't anything left on the cutting room floor, and there weren't any compromises. In 2007, ZERO "out of memory errors;" 2010/11 with the N8, "out of memory errors" like crazy. So ridiculous.

Not S60, but I'm in love with the 9300 as well. Sure, it doesn't have a back-lit keyboard, camera, or vibrate function, but there is something almost holistic about the way I used and interacted with it; I also loved the many keyboard shortcuts.
    I want to buy your Nokia E7.

HoFo Feedback (9+, 0-)

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    First Symbian in the family is my bro's Psion Organizer. That was Symbian pre-Nokia days. He got it while I went and got myself an Apple Newton Messagepad. The latter is also the first portable ARM powered device ever.

Living in the dividing line between US and International tech cultures, we got Blackberries and Palms, but also Nokia Communicators and that Sony Ericsson C90 or whatever that is. Last Communicator in the family is a Nokia 9300. My friend still has an E90 though.

Fondly remember the original Nokia 6600 (not the featurephone slider today) was like the iPhone of 2004. Everyone in Asia have to had it. When the IPhone era dawned years later, there were still tons of that device. It had an elegant, non brick, oval appearance with a large 2" screen. Sadly its successors, the 6630 and 6681, again both phones that family and friends also had, were dead ugly.

None of the N series had that impact the 6600 did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_6600
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8, BBB 9700
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone and Telegraph
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ccrows View Post
    Last year at this point, I was really excited about the Symbian Meego marriage though QT. While others were leaving, I was excited about the future. Even around the holidays last year I was really looking to Nokia's future in 2011.

Unfortunately last February officially killed it all.
    Well said! This was precisely my experience as well!

Too bad there is no single phone out there (Android or other) that can come near the N8 in capabilities (Free offline maps/navigation, Camera/Xenon, HDMI, Penta-band HSDPA, and so on). With Nokia's .. uh.. Symbian's death, it means the number of new apps is already starting to stagnate, and there will be less and less point in keeping it..

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    My first Symbian phone was the Siemens SX1. Got it late December 2003. I could text really well with it, yet couldn't dial a number without concentrating where the numbers were. I used it for 3.5 years until enough dirt got under the number keys that they were difficult to press and the battery started to fail.

Enter the N95. I bought an N95-1 in the summer of 2007 and used it until late February 2011. Solid phone, great camera, but it was time to try something new.

My last Symbian phone will be the N8. Not because there is anything particularly wrong with it, but in three years time there won't be another Symbian phone to go to.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My first Nokia was the 6820...I absolutely adored that phone because of its unique gullwing QWERTY keyboard and still have it to this day. I was very keen on picking up its successor, the E70, and when a North American E70-2 variant finally came out, I immediately got it. That was my introduction to Symbian and the world of smartphones. I really wanted to love and keep the E70-2 and in fact would probably still be using it to this day except that those were the days when Symbian phones were just SLOW. Following that phone, I picked up the E90, finally a snappy Symbian phone, but got tired of the size. Next up was the legendary N95-4. As mentioned by others, that was a phone that left me in awe of the power and sheer capabilities I held in my hands. I eventually tired of the thickness and got an E71-2, and enjoyed modding the heck out of it's sexy body with interchangeable parts. That was my last Symbian phone as after that, I moved onto the world of capacitive touch screens which Nokia badly lagged in...until now. I would't mind an E7 or N8 to mess with if the prices drop further.

My most memorable Nokia though would have to be the E70, why Nokia doesnt capitalize on that unique design that only they have is beyond me.

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    First N-gage QD, Nokia E61, E71, E72, N82, E71 (again) N97 mini, E71 (again) Nokia N8....Been thinking of going back to the E71. IMO the E71 was the BEST nokia made EVER, aside from the camera it was the champ of mobile. Like ccrow i may head to the E6, screen size is a downgrade but overall, the E series is by far the best series. Ill still mess with a WP7/Nokia, hope they will have a qwerty still E Inspired series.
    ...............And Then There Was NOKIA

Ovi Chat: [email protected]

Device(s)
    xxx
    Carrier(s)
    xxx
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    N73 BABY!!!

3.2mp camera w/ a half-press shutter (smart) button.

I was in love.

Took some great chance shots with that phone just by having it with me all the time, not to mention some nice concert video, the sound recording wasn't bad compared to what else was released at the time. It is what set me on my path to checking camera specs on all future cells...not that I didn't lapse, but is what set in my mind what I could be carrying in my pocket and is why the N8 is so remarkable in my mind.

It was also the first phone I did a full housing swap on...ah, good times.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    My first Symbian phone was the Nokia 3600 (GSM 850/1900 version of the 3650.) I really hated the circular keypad on that phone, but coming from a Psion 5mx PDA, I was easily hooked on Symbian.

I went through several Symbian phones. Among my favourites were the: E71, E90, 9500, 9300. N73 was also nice for the camera. I tried a few other mobiles during that time period, but always came back to Symbian. With the great keyboard on the 9300 and profimail, I actually ended up doing most of my email on the phone.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    LG V30; iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Nominating the E71-2. :-)

That thing was just perfect in its time (2008-2009). IMHO it was better than the Blackberries of that era.

Device(s)
    Huawei P30 Pro 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    VodaCom
    Feedback Score
    My 1st was the N80, i was only 16 when i got it, it was my 1st smartphone after my trusty SE W900i got WSOD. N80 in its time was just so feature packed i couldnt get over its magnifacint display and how much it packed under the hood. From there i owned a N81 and 5800xm, had my dad's E90, a E51, E52 and recently had a N8.

My favourite S60 of all time is the gigantic N93i, what a powerful yet gorgeous piece of engineering, it was so expensive though, but what a machine, it never got a chance to fully exploit its excellent hardware though.
    Samsung GALAXY Note 4 32GB +128GB MicroSDXC Charcoal Black
    Apple iPad 4 WIFI+4G LTE 16GB White
    "World can't hold me, too much ambition."Jay-Z

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Never liked the bizarre choices on the N95 (wanted 8GB with a microSD) or a real flagship (N95 with N82 camera/flash). Still <3 the N97. Camera on the E7 is completely disappoint, but could see myself getting an N8 if it was cheap (say $299 or less). C'mon Nokia... is it not possible to get the camera and flash from the N8 into an E7 shell? I'd buy that, microSD or not (though my wishlist would be WITH and 64GB of storage). The ueber-Symbian device.
    ---
    "No matter where you go, there you are."

Quote Originally Posted by sjhong
    The 3.5 inch touch screen, the 32Gb internal memory and the qwerty keyboard are features I can no longer live without.

Device(s)
    n900
    Feedback Score
    1 single phone (motorola v400 POS) that i owned wasn't a nokia.

6110 first
    6310i
    6620 first symbian
    n75 (what a worthless piece of crap)
    n73 Aholes sold me a european version, then it bricked during an update, returned never seen again (or my money)
    n78 Terrible keys
    e71 My favorite
    e63 Cheap E71
    5800 Awesome reception
    n97
    n86

And my current n900

Most of the phones i liked, the n78 chicklet keys wore down my finger nails, didn't love that phone.
    The 9300 was better in theory than in practice, no t9 ruined it for me.
    The n97 just wasn't anything special, i only had it a few days.

The e71 was probably my favorite. For sure the quickest at normal phone functions.

I love my n900, but sometimes i do wish the basics were simpler on it.
    Still have the e71 as a back up, but the screen just seems so pathetic at this point.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I started off w/ the 3650 like many others.....
    moved on to the 6260 (is that a motorola razr??!!!).....
    then the N71, and then the 6290....
    I was on a flip phone trip...
    then the N95-1...
    joy...
    after that the E71-2, then the E75....
    finally, the N97....
    the N97 had sooooo much potential.....
    things could've been so different w'/ decent memory......
    in da hood we say "don't drink & drive, park & sip"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast