Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Which retro phones can be activated on Pageplus?

Feedback Score
    I'm in exactly the opposite boat.

I misplaced my Pixi Plus a few days ago, and would pay a little bit of money to have somebody use the GPS feature to locate it for me.

Device(s)
    Moto E815, W766, LG A340, etc...
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, PagePlus Cellular, PureTalk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by telmesrin View Post
    I have bad news for you. It doesn't matter whether your phone has a gps unit or not. As long as it is connecting to cellular towers, your carrier and law enforcement can tell exactly where you are, and can track you if they are so inclined. The only way you can avoid that is to abandon your cell phone or (maybe) turn your phone completely off.
    You have been watching too many of those law enforcement TV programs! Why would they place a GPS receiver in your cell if they (LE, etc.) could do it any other way?? Jack Wagon is correct - they can ONLY get an approximate idea of your location... like what tower you were last using!

Maybe we should try to stay on topic?

Last edited by MountainMike; 07-24-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added a comment
    Please run a "SEARCH" before posting your question!

Device(s)
    LG Volt
    Feedback Score
    First of all, shrink your font down to a reasonable size. You're being rude.

Secondly, yes they can determine your exact location using cell phone towers. Android phones have this exact feature as an alternative to gps. You can turn on or off the feature allowing your phone to use that data, but you have no control over whether the phone company uses it. They have the same data your phone does.

Finally, don't act like I'm the paranoid one. I said the phone company can do this, not that they actually do. Jack's the one who thinks the government has nothing better to do than track his activities.

Oh, and one last thing. If you want to stay on topic, don't reply to a thread that's been finished for over a week.

Feedback Score
    It isn't that serious folks. My droid also did the tower triangulation thing, but I found it to be absolutely dead wrong on far more occasions than it was right, my ipod touch does the triangulation by way of using wireless routers (and registered addresses thereof) and it works far more accurately. However it is very slow to come up with any accurate info. It is not useful if you are driving, just if you are walking very slowly (and if there are lots of unsecured routers in the area). The idea is to trade info, both good for good and/or false for good. Either way, knowledge can be gained. Even by digression.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus x 2 lines
    Feedback Score
    Hmm, now I need to look for my old startac.
    Disclaimer: If this is an answer to a TECHNICAL QUESTION, then MY ANSWER is correct, even if its contradicting something that a tech support rep, or anyone else said. I am not giving you the answer YOU WANT, I'll give you the answer I know is CORRECT.
    If this is about CARRIER POLICY, then you should probably be aware that carriers change their policy unexpectedly, and inexplicably. Even if the answer is correct when posted, it could very well be wrong in a day, or week.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus x 2 lines
    Feedback Score
    Well, got the ESN to activate, but I'm having issues manually programming it...

Feedback Score
    Hey desertbunny, if it won't OTA with *228, try *22890. The standard OTA programming number is *22890 for a page plus account, but I often have to program them with the Verizon programming number *228. With my windows pocket pc, it took several attempts before it worked.

Feedback Score
    Dude, where the hell did you get a pager activated? I've found a couple places that still offer pager service, but they charge a lot for getting started and I can't see dropping 100 bucks to have numeric pager service when it takes less than 50 to have an unlimited cell hooked up. Though it would be cool to have one.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus x 2 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wagon View Post
    Hey desertbunny, if it won't OTA with *228, try *22890. The standard OTA programming number is *22890 for a page plus account, but I often have to program them with the Verizon programming number *228. With my windows pocket pc, it took several attempts before it worked.
    Phones this old usually dont OTA. I cant even get it to pull a current prl OTA.
    My problem is, the programming sequence for this phone doesnt prompt me for both MIN and MDN... i've tried putting either one in the "enter number" portion of programming, but its stuck on roam (probably a prl issue)

Its a bell atlantic labeled startac, so the PRL most likely doesnt have this area's network in there... hell, i was surprised it even turned on in the first place... it was a pain finding a charger for it in my garage.

It was just an interesting exercise in seeing if the equipment works though. Since I didnt pay for the activation in the first place i'll probably just grab a cheap-o phone off of craigslist, swap ESN's on it, and find some use for it, maybe put a $50 card on the account and give it to a not-for-profit domestic shelter, and take the tax writeoff.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus x 2 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wagon View Post
    Dude, where the hell did you get a pager activated? I've found a couple places that still offer pager service, but they charge a lot for getting started and I can't see dropping 100 bucks to have numeric pager service when it takes less than 50 to have an unlimited cell hooked up. Though it would be cool to have one.
    I'm a state employee with a 24/7 on call requirement. My pager is from our official vendor. They have about 80% of NM, 75% of CO covered, and contracts from pretty much every public safety agency and hospital in the two states.
    Last I heard, they had somewhere around 35 THOUSAND active subscribers, with about 9 thousand of those being non-pager devices... Its pretty amazing what kinds of devices are on the pager networks... automatic sprinkler and irrigation control systems, electronic signs and marquees and billboards... theres a billboard out in the middle of nowhere off interstate 40 that has a news ticker, its basically a pager with a 20 foot long LCD screen... it gets hourly updates from the news station just like you'd send text to a pager.

Device(s)
    Moto E815, W766, LG A340, etc...
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, PagePlus Cellular, PureTalk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by telmesrin View Post
    First of all, shrink your font down to a reasonable size. You're being rude.

Secondly, yes they can determine your exact location using cell phone towers. Android phones have this exact feature as an alternative to gps. You can turn on or off the feature allowing your phone to use that data, but you have no control over whether the phone company uses it. They have the same data your phone does.

Finally, don't act like I'm the paranoid one. I said the phone company can do this, not that they actually do. Jack's the one who thinks the government has nothing better to do than track his activities.

Oh, and one last thing. If you want to stay on topic, don't reply to a thread that's been finished for over a week.
    I believe "telmesrin" is being a little sensitive here! Perhaps he doesn't like being called for making ridiculous statements... like
    "yes they can determine your exact location using cell phone towers" (emphasis added by me).

Additionally, larger type is not rude (to normal folks). Using all capitals is. But gee, thanks for watching out for my "politeness"!

And follow your own advice regarding "timeliness" (which has nothing to do with being on topic, by the way!). This topic was started two months before you put your foot in your mouth.

I'm glad you used the plural of "towers". If you are within THREE towers, triangulation will work if you are stationary or slowly moving. If you are only being received by one tower, then it cannot be done, period. Two towers will usually give two possible locations. If you are being received by THREE towers, triangulation will give your exact location, under certain conditions. I am almost never capable of being received on two towers; I live in a semi-rural area. Towers are designed (by downtilting) to NOT receive beyond 22.5 miles. The Sprint/Nextel network is an exception to this 22.5 mile rule.

The laws of physics and radio direction finding are not going to change just because you say they should.

A practical case in point: If LE, or anyone else who is interested, could tell your exact location by the simple methods "telmesrin" suggested (cell towers and NO GPS), then most Al Queda operatives would have been in custody long ago.

It took the CIA and other investigative organizations years to locate and apprehend a few handfuls of key Al Queda "soldiers". That crap you see on TV and in the movies is just that - crap! It is essentially untrue in the compressed time frame they accomplish their mission. The medical, forensic, and cell phone tracking is skewed towards being "do-able" only by Hollywood taking "poetic license" (read: intellectual dishonesty) with what might be accomplished over months or years of diligent work.

I don't see anyone accusing you of being paranoid. You are just acting uneducated and immature.

Go back and try rereading Jack's original post. He is not saying HE is worried about being tracked. Maybe English is not your primary language?

Jack said, "I know that there are many Americans out there who are offended by the knowledge that they can be located at any moment by way of the GPS on their phone." I don't see anything paranoid about his statement, either!

Your conclusion that LE can track your EXACT location by simply using "cell phone towers" is incorrect. You are implying that this function is always available, like GPS tracking. It is not, as I explained above.

Here is a simplistic explanation of what is trackable: http://www.gpsfortoday.com/cell-phone-gps-tracking/

If you can provide reliable references that support your statement, "telmesrin", I can change my mind.

Carrier(s)
    ATT,
    Feedback Score
    off topic and going nowhere fast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2