Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MetroPCS is blocking some bandwidth intensive apps

Device(s)
    Galaxy Indulge
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Unhappy MetroPCS is blocking some bandwidth intensive apps

MetroPCS is blocking many applications from the android market. For example, search for "qik" on your android phone , then go to the android market on your computer and search "qik" . They are also blocking many augmented reality apps.Even if you pay for the $60 plan , it doesn't matter. Doesn't seem Unlimited to me....
    "Im so sorry , that last hand was a killer"

-james bond

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comet605 View Post
    MetroPCS is blocking many applications from the android market. For example, search for "qik" on your android phone , then go to the android market on your computer and search "qik" . They are also blocking many augmented reality apps.
    as much bs as that is on metro side and also claiming unlimited data... You can download it over wifi..
    Now that android is on metro, your supposed unlimited is not truely unlimited anymore... Hehe
    B4 android came on board, their previous phones were not data intensive sets so their unlimited was true unlimited ... Not anymore
    ------ No cell phone, No Tablet, No internet, No Computer, No Facebook ------
    -------------------- HOW LONG WILL YOU LAST -----------------------
    The Problem With Government:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ZPvqkzqeg
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think for themselves to see the lies & deception brought to them for a false reality

Device(s)
    Galaxy Indulge
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    It does not matter if it is WiFi or LTE, it still will not show up on the android market on my indulge. On the android market on my PC I see it. When I click install , it shows my phone but it cant be clicked. Thankfully I was able to download the .apk manually and run the program. I should not have to do that though, I am paying $60 a month for UNLIMITED data. I feel cheated. : ( . They should not block any programs.

Please correct me if I am wrong

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comet605 View Post
    It does not matter if it is WiFi or LTE, it still will not show up on the android market on my indulge. On the android market on my PC I see it. When I click install , it shows my phone but it cant be clicked. Thankfully I was able to download the .apk manually and run the program. I should not have to do that though, I am paying $60 a month for UNLIMITED data. I feel cheated. : ( . They should not block any programs.
    Please correct me if I am wrong
    so what you are saying is that they are blocking the app from the app store regardless if your on WiFi…?? How are they legally allowed to do so..?? Those apps do not belong to them.. Those are android apps, not METROPCS apps…
    Yea you should not have to install any .apk patch to be able to download that app. Un-fortunately that is Metro and its a pre-paid svc which means either accept it or leave and they WIN… or do what you did and bypass their block...
    Hmm, very interesting.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note8
    Carrier(s)
    metroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Wow that's funny that u brought this up because I was searching for that same specific app a day ago and coudlnt find it! Metro is really droppin the ball...
    Last edited by joshuaH22a; 05-12-2011 at 03:51 AM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Indulge
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by -banned- View Post
    so what you are saying is that they are blocking the app from the app store regardless if your on wifi?
    Yep that's what I'm saying. It seems they are also blocking a bunch of tethering apps also. I guess the android store let's providers block certain apps for there end users.

The thing that bothers me about donloading the .apk is it makes it harder to stay updated.For qik I Couldn't find the latest version but oh well, it still works.

Device(s)
    Too many
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Perhaps you don't understand how Android Market works... when a developer submits an application to Android Market, they specify a set of compatible phones and required capabilities or hardware in order for their application to work on the phone. I'm assuming one of the required capabilities for Qik is to have a front facing camera. When you log in to the Market, the phone sends a file telling Android Market "Hey, I'm a Samsung Indulge and these are my capabilities". Since the Indulge does not have a front facing camera and is not officially supported by qik (http://qik.com/phones), Android Market filters out Qik from the search results.

MetroPCS is not blocking any applications from the Market search results. Please stop spreading FUD and do your research first!

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    On my Eris, I am unable to download Qik, no front facing camera. However, I am able to download it on my unactivated Incredible, still no front facing camera. So I don't think it has to do with the fact that it's a hardware issue as the Incredible clearly has no front facing camera. Though I don't think they are blocking data intensive apps. You can still download Skype and Yahoo! messenger which has a video chat plug-in, both of which are data intensive.

Also, cellular companies can block certain apps from showing up on your phones market. AT&T and Verizon are known for this. They won't just block any old app though. The majority of them are tethering apps. The only way to get around that is to side load.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Indulge
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    You may be right, and if you are right I plead for forgiveness. I did not know that a developer could specify requirements that had to be met. I feel stupid now.

Device(s)
    HTC One X
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pipe2 View Post
    Perhaps you don't understand how Android Market works... when a developer submits an application to Android Market, they specify a set of compatible phones and required capabilities or hardware in order for their application to work on the phone. I'm assuming one of the required capabilities for Qik is to have a front facing camera. When you log in to the Market, the phone sends a file telling Android Market "Hey, I'm a Samsung Indulge and these are my capabilities". Since the Indulge does not have a front facing camera and is not officially supported by qik (http://qik.com/phones), Android Market filters out Qik from the search results.

MetroPCS is not blocking any applications from the Market search results. Please stop spreading FUD and do your research first!
    Counlt have said it better.
    an Example could be with adobe flash player, if you look it up on the LG Optimus your not able to find it bc the phone doesnt meet its requirements.

In a cardboard box off Julie Tuttle Causeway
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    It has to do (the market) with the DEVICE, not the carrier.
    I tried (and it DID NOT WORK) the netflix.apk
    I had to manually download it because it does not appear in the market on my Indulge
    It's on the market but of course the Indulge is not supported. I even tried it on my moto Xoom that been OTA'd to Honeycomb 3.1, and it did not work.
    I want to watch netflix on 4G while driving down the road and texting @ the same time......ok.
    I mean if teens can do it then us middle aged people can too!!!

Device(s)
    HTC One X
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by philmiami View Post
    It has to do (the market) with the DEVICE, not the carrier.
    I tried (and it DID NOT WORK) the netflix.apk
    I had to manually download it because it does not appear in the market on my Indulge
    It's on the market but of course the Indulge is not supported. I even tried it on my moto Xoom that been OTA'd to Honeycomb 3.1, and it did not work.
    I want to watch netflix on 4G while driving down the road and texting @ the same time......ok.
    I mean if teens can do it then us middle aged people can too!!!
    How does the netflix app work on your indulge? buffer alot? or does it run smoothly

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    He stated it did not work. I manually downloaded the Qik app and it will not run on my Optimus (T or M)

Feedback Score

metropcs android teamviewer

Well also as of july 15th 2011 metropcs has been blocking teamviewer. I tested all my computers ove my personal area network also the Teamviewer 6 test machine and it wont connect over 4g now, only over wifi. Metropcs is denying its the service but my friends also is having the same issue. so I tried vnc viewer. It too is not connecting over 4g. i can connect computer to computer, Ipod touch to computer. Just seems to be over the 4g metropcs network. anyone else having this issue???

Feedback Score
    Just downloaded the Netflix app from the Market on my Indulge, and it works great! Streams un-interrupted over 4G or WiFi!! Very pleased. It previously wasn't available on the Market for the Indulge, so I guess it was updated!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast