Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: AT&T quietly removed "future 3G coverage"

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    So when exactly is AT&T going to finish their 3G rollout? Here in NorCal they still have several areas to do, like Fort Bragg, Laytonville, Garberville, Hoopa, Willow Creek, Alturas, Chester/Lake Almanor and Yreka, and Southeastern Idaho still has some filling in to do, and they are far from alone. I mean, he we are with Verizon rolling out LTE left and right and AT&T is still trying to finish their 3G rollout, or have they given up on that?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    So when exactly is AT&T going to finish their 3G rollout? Here in NorCal they still have several areas to do, like Fort Bragg, Laytonville, Garberville, Hoopa, Willow Creek, Alturas, Chester/Lake Almanor and Yreka, and Southeastern Idaho still has some filling in to do, and they are far from alone. I mean, he we are with Verizon rolling out LTE left and right and AT&T is still trying to finish their 3G rollout, or have they given up on that?
    You guys have it a lot better there, I bet if people moved to your area from rural Alabama they would be thrilled at the coverage from AT&T. Heck, at least 60% of Alabama is without any 3G coverage from AT&T.

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Awesome, you caught AT&T red handed! Bait and switch; here's your eternal 2G service /w 2 year contract! GSM/EDGE service areas are now completely swamped by smart phones these days. How people put up with it is beyond me; FCC complains seems to be the only way to force AT&T to upgrade 3G service.

Too bad MetroPCS cannot get into Alabama markets; the Big 4, US Cellular, and Cable companies are squatting on all the spectrum. Cricket has ~10mhz though, but there expansion has been slow.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    They don't have to finish 3G buildout if they send the current EDGE areas straight to HSPA+, which frankly makes more sense at this point. Technically HSPA+ is UMTS (3G) voice with 4G data, so if AT&T builds out HSPA+, UMTS and HSPA are handled in that as well.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    They don't have to finish 3G buildout if they send the current EDGE areas straight to HSPA+, which frankly makes more sense at this point.
    I doubt they will in the areas they have left in NorCal, I know all of those areas and they will probably be last to see HSPA+. This area is bandwidth starved as it is, with the nearest HSPA+ ending in Windsor, about 60 miles south of me. I got to sample the "4G"s speeds in Windsor and Santa Rosa on Monday, long story short they were slower than 3G is here.

Feedback Score
    I doubt they will in the areas they have left in NorCal, I know all of those areas and they will probably be last to see HSPA+. This area is bandwidth starved as it is, with the nearest HSPA+ ending in Windsor, about 60 miles south of me. I got to sample the "4G"s speeds in Windsor and Santa Rosa on Monday, long story short they were slower than 3G is here.
    If Verizon can provide rural AL with high speed LTE with sites that are microwave backhauled, then I believe it should be possible there!

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Around where I live it didn't take long to get the backhaul up to 4G standards. I just don't think it makes any sense to not get to HSPA+ out of the gate. The EDGE only areas left (which doesn't amount to many cell sites left in AT&T's system) may as well go ahead and get ready with better bandwidth out of the gate. The exception would be in really remote rural areas where it's hard to get bandwidth, you may as well upgrade those areas to UMTS first because it takes a while for microwave backhauls to get FCC approval.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by locust43 View Post
    If Verizon can provide rural AL with high speed LTE with sites that are microwave backhauled, then I believe it should be possible there!
    I am confident Verizon will do it soon, and U.S. Cellular, I have far less confidence in AT&T and T-Mobile though and it's anybody's guess when they'll deploy it here. For LTE, all I know is we won't see it from Verizon until next year at the soonest, and while USCC is going to be deploying some this year we are always one of their last areas to get the goodies

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    The exception would be in really remote rural areas where it's hard to get bandwidth,
    You just described over most of this county Add to that mountainous, hilly, heavily forested and not high income and you begin to get a better picture. As far as RF coverage goes, we're one of the hardest, even Doppler Radar has problems seeing through our terrain and trees (sometimes it will show no rain at my place, when it's pouring out, or it will show rain when it's actually snowing, in other words it's not 100% reliable for us ), it doesn't help that we are on the edge of 3 Doppler's, all 120-150 miles away.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9