Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Feedback Score

Overuse of iPhones not good for you?

I ran into this page the other day, and I'm wondering how people feel about it: http://hubpages.com/hub/I-Hate-Iphones

For those who want the cliffsnotes, it basically says that you shouldn't get an iPhone because people who do are less involved in personal interactions.

Phone
    HP Veer
    Carrier
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    And this only happens with Apple-branded phones?
    More Bars in More Places.

Phone
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Feedback Score
    Leave me alone.

Feedback Score
    Joako, fair enough, I should have called the thread overuse of smart phones. I believe the article generalizes a bit more, but most people I know have iPhones. And it actually does seem like the iPhone is the most app-heavy of the smart phones.

wxman, if you don't want to talk about this, don't post in the thread. Problem solved. It's not like it has a misleading title. You can't intentionally enter a thread, then claim you don't want to get involved. If you want to be arrogant and dismissive, find somewhere else to do it.

Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    This is a ridiculous article. Why repost garbage like this?

The author of the article singled out iPhones for who knows what reason. If this was directed towards smartphones in general rather than just the Apple variants, it might be possible to take this seriously.

Feedback Score
    I think you missed wxman's point. "Leave me alone." - "less involved in personal interactions"

That's the joke.

Carrier
    T-Mobile (current)
    Feedback Score
    The problem is, people have been saying this about every new technology that's come out there. The telephone prevents personal interactions because you don't have to visit people to talk to them anymore, or take the time to write them letters if they're far away. TV prevents personal interactions because of the possibility that someone can stare at a screen all day. E-amil prevents personal interactions because nobody uses the phone anymore. Text messaging prevents personal interaction because no one writes long e-mails anymore.

The problem is, none of it is true. The technology doesn't prevent personal interaction... it's that some people use the technology to avoid personal interactions and socializing. Take away facebook, the iPhone and their computer, and these people would be watching TV all day. Take that away and they'd read a book or something.

The article's author just doesn't like facebook or Apple, and is finding an excuse to rail against them. And the author either has antisocial tendencies (which isn't uncommon on the web)., or knows someone who is and it annoys them. BUt rather than address the real problem, they've decided to attack the gadget instead.

Left: iPhone 6+ on T-Mobile. Right: Comcast home internet connection.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I HATE YOU ALL

now....

LEAVE ME ALONE

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
    snip
    The thing is though, that people used to just check their Facebook at home, not when they went out. A lot of the other things you mentioned never used to be mobile like they are now.

On some level, I agree with the blogger. I see kids here at the store I work at with their noses in an iPod Touch game, or their folks will give them their iPhone to play with so they'll shut up. Social interaction is a part of how a child's brain develops and I can see a time where a lot of kids are antisocial because they've grown up with their parents throwing them an electronic pacifier.

I've even noticed it in myself to a degree and I really try not to be one of those people that ignores the world around them when the phone is in their hand. There's definitely something to what the author is saying. There's a problem whether you guys want to admit it or not. Granted, I think some of this is part of a bigger overall problem but it's still a problem.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I really use my iphone for web browsing and calls so maybe 4 tops a day?.............

Phone
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Is anybody really clicking on his link? Guess he got some of the traffic to his blog he was looking for.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    LOL I do not understand what the problem is, if we as people want to soend more and more time on our phones, and less time dealing with stupid people, then why should anyone care =) Yes I love my phone lol
    NHCharmedOne

My opinions are mine, not yours, no one says you have to agree with them! =)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm pretty sure it screws up your eyes and gives you anxiety.

Carrier
    T-Mobile (current)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctaMario View Post
    The thing is though, that people used to just check their Facebook at home, not when they went out.
    Facebook hasn't been around very long (2004), and certainly smartphones have been around longer than facebook has. So I'm not really sure you can make a comparison. Facebook is so recent that I don't think you can rationally say there is a "used to" when referring to it.

A lot of the other things you mentioned never used to be mobile like they are now.
    That's a straw man argument. All of the previous technologies made things happen in ways that they "never used to." Every technological change permits people to do something they never used to do before, and then there would be people preaching woe about how that change is bad because you people no longer do things in more traditional ways. Ultimately, that tends up being their only argument... that they want things done "the way it used to be."

The author of this article only further invalidates the argument by pointing specifically to two things: facebook and Apple. When as any Android user will gleefully gloat, Apple allegedly is NOT what most kids these days are using. And what about Twitter? Not only are "Tweeps" using this newfangled infernal technology to communicate, but they have to condense their thoughts to 140 characters or less!

So why isn't he railing against Android, or Blackberries, or the fact that kids these days supposedly only know how to typ lk ths OMG w/e? Because he has a hidden agenda, a bone to pick with two specific companies, that's why.

On some level, I agree with the blogger. I see kids here at the store I work at with their noses in an iPod Touch game, or their folks will give them their iPhone to play with so they'll shut up.
    Would you have interacted with those kids had they NOT been using an iPod touch or iPhone?

Social interaction is a part of how a child's brain develops and I can see a time where a lot of kids are antisocial because they've grown up with their parents throwing them an electronic pacifier.
    Again, this is an argument that has been repeated over and over with every piece of technology out there, and somehow the "kids today" end up growing up just fine.

I've even noticed it in myself to a degree and I really try not to be one of those people that ignores the world around them when the phone is in their hand. There's definitely something to what the author is saying. There's a problem whether you guys want to admit it or not.
    I agree there's a problem. I just happen to think the problem is actually twofold:

1. People who don't truly understand the applications of new technology, and rather than trying to understand how to use or apply it, they instead prefer to complain about how it's "destroying" society, and

2. People who have addictive personalities, get addicted to certain things like their gadgets, and then prefer to blame the gadget rather than make the effort to improve themselves... completely ignoring the fact that there are plenty of other individuals who can still use their gadgets in moderation and still function quite well in society.

Both are part of a well known phenomenon in psychology known as projection bias, and it is something that has been observed well before facebook or iPhones existed.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    If anything, the Iphone is the safest smartphone. The ease and speed of use further gets the job done where "other smart phones" have built in fiddle time mixed in with a bit of phone rage. This evidently plays a negative roll on those that take their eyes off phone and deal with life and cause a puzzled look for others to see.
    So be safe and happy and get an Iphone!

ok that was a bit of a jab lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast