Thread: Which head unit to get?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Which head unit to get?

So I got a new car. I want to swap out the stock stereo with a head unit with GPS and Bluetooth.

Been looking at the Pioneer AVIC-X930BT and Kenwood DNX6180. Any opinions on these 2?

Device(s)
    xxx
    Carrier(s)
    xxx
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Go with the Pioneer. I've played with the Kenwood and it's pretty slow (loading, switching tasks, GPS). Spec wise, the Pioneer seems pretty sweet and does Pandora.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I went to a few car audio installers and they all told me to stay away from Pioneer because their units aren't reliable. They mostly recommended Kenwood or Clarion.

I have checked out the new Kenwoods and they are quite slow though I like how they include Garmin for the Navigation.

The Clarion felt a little faster but the navigation seems to take even longer than the Kenwood to start up. I also didn't like how the screen was glossy - who want's that feature on a HU?

The Pioneers do seem have be ahead when it comes to the speed of the unit. It boots up in seconds and iPod/iPhone integration.

Device(s)
    Me: HTC Inspire 4G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T since 11/01
    Feedback Score
    Have you looked at Sony stuff, Howard?

While I do have the stock units in both of our cars, I've been happy with the Sony electronics in our house & the Sony-Ericcson phones I've had.

Might be worth a look...
    My first cell plan was with Cellular One (circa 10/94). It was $49.95/month for 100 LOCAL minutes, voicemail was $4.95/month extra, and it was an additional $.10 to per call to call a landline. No "nights"! - only weekends.
    Now: Nation 850 (total of 4 lines): Unlimited M2M & N/W~$79.97/mo. No landline since 1/05!

Right now I feel:

Device(s)
    2 cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Howard, Which HU did you end up buying!
    MY FEEDBACKS

"To know the true reality of yourself, you must be aware not only of your conscious thoughts, but also of your unconscious prejudices, bias and habits."

http://crocket.myminicity.com/

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Lol old thread!

I ended up getting a Kenwood DNX7180.

I really regret buying it. It's terrible - a total piece of garbage. The menus are so slow and the integration is a joke. It's like they took a car stereo and put a Garmin GPS into it and didn't bother to integrate them beyond letting you listen to music while the GPS is working.

The Bluetooth also stinks and is basically unusable.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You probably want one of those display units but I got a Pioneer DEH-X6500BT, abt $130 at Best Buy. Works great. I just attach my phone to dash with Velcro for nav and Pandora, etc. Works good with Note; would like to use Nexus 7.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    You probably want one of those display units but I got a Pioneer DEH-X6500BT, abt $130 at Best Buy. Works great. I just attach my phone to dash with Velcro for nav and Pandora, etc. Works good with Note; would like to use Nexus 7.
    You have a velcro stuck to the back of your Note?

Device(s)
    2 cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    Lol old thread!

I ended up getting a Kenwood DNX7180.

I really regret buying it. It's terrible - a total piece of garbage. The menus are so slow and the integration is a joke. It's like they took a car stereo and put a Garmin GPS into it and didn't bother to integrate them beyond letting you listen to music while the GPS is working.

The Bluetooth also stinks and is basically unusable.
    The reason I asked was I bought a Kenwood DPX500BT and wondered which HU you had purchased, Sorry to hear the unit you bought is a piece of crap! I did my research and the HU i bought has pretty good ratings and reviews! I also bought cerwin vega speakers,CV amp,CV subwoofer and a SiriusXM satellite radio. Hopefully it all sounds good when I get it installed on Thursday.