Thread: All Nokia needs to do for MeeGo is keep selling the N9

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score

All Nokia needs to do for MeeGo is keep selling the N9

This article brought up an interesting point that I identified with Nokia and S60 a few years ago. It's hard developing for S60v3 when the hardware configurations keep changing, and hardware in earlier versions is taken out of later versions. That was some pretty bad fragmentation, and contributed to Symbian's fall. RIM screwed up by introducing the Storm, and going further with the Torch - too many configurations. Palm also screwed up with the Pixi having a different resolution, and HP continued that trend by having the Veer with a non-standard resolution as well.

Microsoft has seen that it'll be a problem, and that's why they're making 800x480 resolution mandatory. It's also why Apple chose 960x640 for the iPhone 4 - it makes scaling applications seamless.

If the only phone with MeeGo (and it likely will be the only phone with MeeGo for quite some time, I don't see anyone else jumping on it, it's already gone dead for Netbooks, so it'll probably just live on for in vehicle systems) is the N9, it's a consistent platform. Even if it's the same phone being sold 2 years later, it's still a consistent platform. That makes it encouraging for developers. It also makes it quite cheap for Nokia. It'll be $600+ at launch, but 2 years from now they'll likely be able to keep selling it at under $300. That will grow the platform, and create an ecosystem. It's not enough to keep Nokia going right now, but it is enough for them to go back to it and continue building on it a couple years from now, if they see that a bunch of applications have been made for it, and that there is an ecosystem, then they can go further.

I'm definitely sure that as long as Nokia leaves it for sale, people will buy it. Particularly people that would just straight up refuse to buy a Nokia Windows Phone. Even if the ecosystem doesn't grow out of it, it's continued sales of their phones.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Device(s)
    N95-4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm anticipating short supplies of the N9 and as such, I plan on buying two of them once they are readily available (read: in stock at amazon). It would be awesome if they kept making them though.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    there is a very limited market for the n9.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    I disagree, there's a huge market for the N9. Not everyone cares about apps, some people care mainly about a good phone, that's simple, uncluttered and doesn't get confused about what its purpose is. The N9 delivers that, a clean UI that won't get overly bogged down, quality construction, great reception and call quality, good battery life and excellent outdoor/sunlight visibility.

Obviously Nokia Windows Phones will deliver on most of those points as well, but the Metro UI isn't for everyone. I think Nokia could do quite well just continuing to sell it.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    the N9 doesn't need an app store, which is a plus....
    it's nice having repositories that geeks are willing to fill for free.....
    in da hood we say "don't drink & drive, park & sip"

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    It does, it's the Nokia Store.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I disagree, there's a huge market for the N9. Not everyone cares about apps, some people care mainly about a good phone, that's simple, uncluttered and doesn't get confused about what its purpose is. The N9 delivers that, a clean UI that won't get overly bogged down, quality construction, great reception and call quality, good battery life and excellent outdoor/sunlight visibility.

Obviously Nokia Windows Phones will deliver on most of those points as well, but the Metro UI isn't for everyone. I think Nokia could do quite well just continuing to sell it.
    Not everyone cares about apps but everybody cares about developer support for the OS that their smartphone runs. People may not know that iOS has 500,000 apps in the App Store or that Android has 200,000 in the Android Market but they do know what they want their phone to be able to do and they want to be able to do it as easily and as quickly as possible. Just because your device can do it through the browser or some other workaround doesn't mean that it is the same. Additionally, when some cool new service, social network or game gets released for other platforms, you would at least want the possibility of it being released for MeeGo instead of posting in 50-11 threads titled "When will <insert name here> be released for MeeGo?" and signing 50-11 more online petitions