Thread: Could Google be saving up for Hulu and dumping the little green guy?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Post Could Google be saving up for Hulu and dumping the little green guy?

Google might have some ambitions for swallowing up Hulu, a giant green alien monster looking to devour any and all traditional media sources for power and might. Well, after a failure to "bid up" on some very tech geek patents from Nortel, it looks like they might be willing to sacrifice their own little green monster, Android, to do it.

The question is, was Google trying to see if they could win out in court on all the patent cases against Android, or did they just give up on it? The bids were odd, to say the least. In true Mountain View fashion, they puzzled even the auctioneers with bids correlating to Brun's constant and Meissel-Mertens constant... things math whizzes ponder. They even bid "pi", yeah... that number you used in geometry class to play nice with circles and arcs.

Well, a 6 company consortium of odd bedfellows beat them out for these coveted patents. Why odd? Have you EVER heard of Apple and Microsoft ganging up to do ANYTHING together when it comes to mobile devices? Me either.

Sources: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...76104L20110702, http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...d_analyst_says
    I left NEXTEL because:
    1) Gary Forsee for single-handedly killing the mighty NEXTEL
    2) Paul Saleh for coughing up the money for Gary's BIG ideas of grandeur from the NEXTEL cash cow
    3) Timmy Donahue for taking his golden parachute and leaving post-merger when we needed him most
    4) Barry West for regressing iDEN backwards 10 years by killing 6:1 and WiDEN development
    5) Dan Hesse for practicing apathy over sympathy, then prolonging the pain

Device(s)
    Huawei P30 Pro 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    VodaCom
    Feedback Score
    Very odd that they didnt bid more for the patents, considering how many lawsuits they already have for Android, and that many of their Android manufacturers are paying royalties makes you wonder how serious Google are about the future of Android.

Do they have some sort of miracle trick up their sleeve??? I absolutely enjoy using Android and want to see it continue to grow, Google better not f-this up!
    Samsung GALAXY Note 4 32GB +128GB MicroSDXC Charcoal Black
    Apple iPad 4 WIFI+4G LTE 16GB White
    "World can't hold me, too much ambition."Jay-Z

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Its likely Google looked at the patents and find most of them relevant to being a hardware maker than a software one. It matters more for Intel and Apple because they are building chips.

The fact that not too many companies bid on them --- the ones that truly matter on telecom technologies --- well none of them really made any bids --- tells you otherwise. Many of these patents appear already cross licensed.

Hulu is an important catch but not as big as you think. The problem of Hulu is that it is a non entity outside of the US. Android has to be much bigger than that.

The success of Google+ is much more important to Android and Google as a whole really. The Android Google+ app, though still in beta, is just plain awesome.

I also hear that Vevo might be up for grabs?

I also think Google need to see picking up Pandora, Slacker or Spotify.

Finally I think Google needs to make an offer to Oracle saying I want to buy off the entire Java franchise from Oracle, lock stock and IP barrel.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm thinking Google sold out the Android phone manufactures. No harm to Google, but now these manufactures have to pay $15.00 a phone. Incidentally that's what Microsoft charges for their mobile OSs.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    So because Google didn't win the patent bid they're giving up on Android? Is that really the argument I'm reading here? We're just going to assume they they are going to give up all their marketshare, a hefty one they've built up, abandon their plans for mobile, including mobile maps, mobile aps, NFC payments and so much more?

No, they will deal with the patent suits like all large companies do and the manufactures will pay their fee to Microsoft because Android sells their phones and WP7 does not.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbaby View Post
    So because Google didn't win the patent bid they're giving up on Android? Is that really the argument I'm reading here? We're just going to assume they they are going to give up all their marketshare, a hefty one they've built up, abandon their plans for mobile, including mobile maps, mobile aps, NFC payments and so much more?

No, they will deal with the patent suits like all large companies do and the manufactures will pay their fee to Microsoft because Android sells their phones and WP7 does not.
    No yu are not interpeting things right. And no, Google, at this point, has to do nothing, they just didn't want to buy the patents and let other companies pick up the cost. Android is here to stay it just won't be free.
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    I'm thinking Google sold out the Android phone manufactures. No harm to Google, but now these manufactures have to pay $15.00 a phone. Incidentally that's what Microsoft charges for their mobile OSs.
    Microsoft squeezing Samsung and two other tablet makers for Android patent fees appears to be done with something else that has nothing to do with Android: Windows 8. In other words, Microsoft use the carrot and stick system here. Offering early opportunity for Windows 8 information? OEM discounts? That sort of thing.

But look at the larger, larger picture. Every smartphone out there that replaces a PC, even a Windows Phone 7, gradually eats into Microsoft's real bread and butter, which is desktop Windows. Microsoft loses on every $15 license or even WP7 license for every $100 to $150 Windows desktop license that is not sold. Microsoft actually loses even more, because those phones don't buy $300 Office packages. Either they come free, like WP7 or buy it in some apps store for $15.

In any case, you are not supposed to use patents to stifle competition, and yes, sooner or later the FTC and DOJ will go after Microsoft's hide.