Thread: @home router (linksys wrtu54g-tm) behind another router no blue light

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

@home router (linksys wrtu54g-tm) behind another router no blue light

I bought a newer N wireless router... The asus rtu56 black diamond..

I'm trying to keep my @home landline service working.

I have the cable modem going into the asus router, and from the asus router going into the linksys router.

Cable Modem ==> Asus Router ==> Linksys Router

I set the linksys router into bridge mode. I am able to get internet on the lan 4 lan ethernet ports coming out of the asus router and as well as the 4 ethernet ports of the linksys router however I can't get the blue light on the linksys router to work.

In the asus router I tried port forwarding 500 and 4500 UDP to the linksys router's ip address which i set static IP as 192.168.1.50

In the voice error log I keep getting W006.1 ISP Error. Retry.

Help PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Device(s)
    Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Try putting the lynksys router in front of your other router. That has worked for me in the past.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    try going into linksys router page (192.168.1.1)
    make sure you've cloned ip address of whatever
    is in front of @HOME router.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    want to update!!!!!! I got it to work after hours of messing around with it..
    I left the linksys in router mode..

I assigned my linksys a static IP address from my main router.
    made that IP address DMZ

The key thing i wasnt doing earlier that now makes it work is on the main router i enabled VPN PPTP Passthrough, VPN L2TP Passthrough, and VPN IPSec Passthrough.

I dont know what those 3 things do but I will leave them all on as they are what made the dam blue light turn on!!!!
    Last edited by tyronewheatley; 07-03-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Way too difficult! Setting up a router behind a router is as easy as this: From the web interface for the secondary router, uncheck "Enable DHCP" or whatever is similar. Plug the cable from the primary router into one of the LAN ports, not the WAN.

Done.

This makes the secondary a switch and leaves the IP address assignments to the primary.

For @Home service, I'd be more comfortable with the TMO router as the primary. It has some tweaks to make the UMA "more betterer." If you googlize UMA and dd-wrt, you can find some wiki info on this. You can't dd-wrt into the TMO @Home router, it's the wrong chipset. I have one and so I found out.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    this makes UMA not working. UMA needs WAN port to connect on internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by pzo View Post
    Way too difficult! Setting up a router behind a router is as easy as this: From the web interface for the secondary router, uncheck "Enable DHCP" or whatever is similar. Plug the cable from the primary router into one of the LAN ports, not the WAN.

Done.

This makes the secondary a switch and leaves the IP address assignments to the primary.

For @Home service, I'd be more comfortable with the TMO router as the primary. It has some tweaks to make the UMA "more betterer." If you googlize UMA and dd-wrt, you can find some wiki info on this. You can't dd-wrt into the TMO @Home router, it's the wrong chipset. I have one and so I found out.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    "this makes UMA not working. UMA needs WAN port to connect on internet."

Well, of course. That's the job of the primary router. Trust me, this works. I did it for over a year when I was running a Nokia 6086 on UMA in my home.

Just to clarify, you have a primary router that is connected to broadband just like always at the WLAN port. Then a Cat 5 cable from a LAN port to a LAN port on the secondary router, in which you have disabled DHCP. It is now a switch, leaving the DHCP assignments to the primary router.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by pzo View Post
    "this makes UMA not working. UMA needs WAN port to connect on internet."

Well, of course. That's the job of the primary router. Trust me, this works. I did it for over a year when I was running a Nokia 6086 on UMA in my home.

Just to clarify, you have a primary router that is connected to broadband just like always at the WLAN port. Then a Cat 5 cable from a LAN port to a LAN port on the secondary router, in which you have disabled DHCP. It is now a switch, leaving the DHCP assignments to the primary router.

Hope this helps.
    I cannot trust you. your method is not working at all!
    I have tested and proved it (the UMA) is not working (W006.1 ISP Error) on your method!
    Maybe you think the router is WRT54G-TM, the OP mentioned it is wrtu54g-tm.
    the router has SIM card slot and phone port (RJ-11), it needs WAN port to connect to internet.
    your method to link the LAN port to main router, actually only use the LAN switch of (wrtu54g-tm).
    the LAN is working, but WAN and UMA is not.

The correct way to do ,
    disable secondary router (wrtu54g-tm) DHCP.
    connect secondary router WAN port to the main router, and one LAN port to the main router as well.
    then, your UMA will work, and all LAN port as extension of main router.

----

Any other way, as OP, in wireless bridge mode =LAN connection only, the UMA will not function. W006.1 ISP Error will show-up in the log
    Last edited by Androided; 08-12-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Dear Androided: The W006.1 error message you get has nothing to do with routers. It is from the TMO god and reflects a failure on their end. It has nothing to do with the router and sub router setup. You might well experience the same message, or others, over at Starbuccccccs.

(Way back ca. winter 2008 I think it was, TMO went several months with very, very poor and erratic UMA service. Buried deep in the archives here are many threads about many of us banging our heads trying to figure out why UMA seldom worked. That was the most common error message. Suddenly the problem, and the error message went away. Obvously, it was a TMO issue, nothing to do with our many phones, locations, or routers. Of course, they never owned up to it.)

It matters not one bit what router brands or models you use. The two TMO routers you mention (I have one of each) are merely tweaked in certain settings to enhance the UMA experience. And, of course, one has the SIM slots. Otherwise, you can use Brand X. It doesn't matter.

Further, plugging a secondary router behind a primary router without disabling DHCP isn't necessarily a disaster, although it can be. The potential problem is dualing DHCP servers. That is why you disable the DHCP in the secondary router.

I don't know what the hell you are doing, especially the part about connecting both WAN and LAN ports! I suspect you aren't following my directions very well, or something. Heck, don't believe me, do some googlizing research on connecting tow routers.

The simple setup I suggest worked here in my home for both UMA and general wifi for three years.