Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Seriously Verizon? Same problem for over 1 year... Panama City Beach, FL

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,306
    Feedback Score
    0

    Seriously Verizon? Same problem for over 1 year... Panama City Beach, FL

    Yea Yea, supposed to be relaxing while at the beach and everything. But I am infuriated with Verizon at this point. The data speeds all over the Panama City Beach, FL area are PATHETIC. For god sakes, the fastest I hit tonight was 300k.

    Verizon's network is generally the best, but every cell carrier down here is pathetic. Not sure what the deal is, there are plenty of towers..

    1st Major issue, I guess tis probably a building issue. But we have a condo and its on the 20th floor, yea everything is sketchy up here. But T-Mobile has a usable 4G HSPA+ signal up here, AT&T is sketchy. Both are PCS carriers here though (4G on AWS).

    None of our phones or data cards are usable up here and Verizon has BOTH cell blocks because of Alltel. Data keeps popping down to 1x and it keeps going into Extended Network on Sprint. So we could chalk it up to a "building issue"

    2. Major issue is on the very populated main road and driving around key areas in Panama City Beach and Panama City, 3G is virtually UNUSABLE!!!

    This is with a -68 EVDO signal strength. The fastest speed I have hit was about 300k tonight. Same goes for all the devices and my Pantech Data card.

    There is a major capacity issue in this area, I can name a bunch of places where Verizon 3G is unusable.

    Spectrum shouldn't be an issue.

    They have BOTH A AND B block 850mhz + 1900mhz frequencies.

    This is a fairly widespread area's. I know someone else has mentioned they are testing 4G and stuff, but this is ridiculous. I haven't had these problems while they were working on turning up 4G so I know it cant that, and since its been the SAME way for the last year in these major areas.

    Verizon reps have said "its a known trouble area" for the last year. Kinda ridiculous huh?

    AT&T isn't any better, their H+ network is very weak in buildings and speeds are sketchy as well. But they have like 1/3 the spectrum.

    T-Mobile EDGE has been outperforming my 3G most of the night..


    Anyone else having this issue? I don't need an excuse for why this is happening because I have tried to create many. I understand AT&T being horrible, but Verizon has let their network degrade this much even though its a crowded weekend. Dropping calls left and right with FULL signal.

    Ill be the first to defend Verizon, but geesh. I didn't think crap like this was STILL around.

    Sorry my screenshots are not working right. The Revolution has an issue with Shoot Me.








  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Black Hills
    Posts
    2,564
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by locust43 View Post
    Yea Yea, supposed to be relaxing while at the beach and everything. But I am infuriated with Verizon at this point. The data speeds all over the Panama City Beach, FL area are PATHETIC. For god sakes, the fastest I hit tonight was 300k.

    Verizon's network is generally the best, but every cell carrier down here is pathetic. Not sure what the deal is, there are plenty of towers..

    1st Major issue, I guess tis probably a building issue. But we have a condo and its on the 20th floor, yea everything is sketchy up here. But T-Mobile has a usable 4G HSPA+ signal up here, AT&T is sketchy. Both are PCS carriers here though (4G on AWS).

    None of our phones or data cards are usable up here and Verizon has BOTH cell blocks because of Alltel. Data keeps popping down to 1x and it keeps going into Extended Network on Sprint. So we could chalk it up to a "building issue"

    2. Major issue is on the very populated main road and driving around key areas in Panama City Beach and Panama City, 3G is virtually UNUSABLE!!!

    This is with a -68 EVDO signal strength. The fastest speed I have hit was about 300k tonight. Same goes for all the devices and my Pantech Data card.

    There is a major capacity issue in this area, I can name a bunch of places where Verizon 3G is unusable.

    Spectrum shouldn't be an issue.

    They have BOTH A AND B block 850mhz + 1900mhz frequencies.

    This is a fairly widespread area's. I know someone else has mentioned they are testing 4G and stuff, but this is ridiculous. I haven't had these problems while they were working on turning up 4G so I know it cant that, and since its been the SAME way for the last year in these major areas.

    Verizon reps have said "its a known trouble area" for the last year. Kinda ridiculous huh?

    AT&T isn't any better, their H+ network is very weak in buildings and speeds are sketchy as well. But they have like 1/3 the spectrum.

    T-Mobile EDGE has been outperforming my 3G most of the night..


    Anyone else having this issue? I don't need an excuse for why this is happening because I have tried to create many. I understand AT&T being horrible, but Verizon has let their network degrade this much even though its a crowded weekend. Dropping calls left and right with FULL signal.

    Ill be the first to defend Verizon, but geesh. I didn't think crap like this was STILL around.

    Sorry my screenshots are not working right. The Revolution has an issue with Shoot Me.







    Well well well. Welcome to our world. You find it hard to believe those Verizon 3G speeds are still around? I'm guessing then you choose to ignore all of us that have been saying for awhile that they are. Because we deal with those speeds every day. And I for one am not anywhere near FL..

    That fact you couldn't believe this crap was still around with Verizon 3G shows a lot of blindness going on then on your part. This is nothing new nor nothing surprising.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,306
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    Well well well. Welcome to our world. You find it hard to believe those Verizon 3G speeds are still around? I'm guessing then you choose to ignore all of us that have been saying for awhile that they are. Because we deal with those speeds every day. And I for one am not anywhere near FL..

    That fact you couldn't believe this crap was still around with Verizon 3G shows a lot of blindness going on then on your part. This is nothing new nor nothing surprising.
    As always thanks for your very helpful and knowledgeable post. As I'm sitting here and AT&T is stuck on Emergency Calls Only as usual. At least with Verizon I can still make a call out

    Actually the real winner is T-Mobile because WiFi calling has allowed me calling anywhere in the building.

    Also I actually subscribe to both Verizon and AT&T so I get both on a daily basis. Does Verizon suck here? Yea, but so does AT&T and in fact on my way down here I extremely rural Alabama. AT&T was on E while I had full LTE on Verizon.

    xD

    Yea I see and understand your point. This is a bit of an eye opener because where I typically am, Verizon dominates.

    Also I know you haven't whitnessed this but I have been the one to down Verizon. And I do realize all carriers have problems. Its just fun to poke at the ATT fanbois

    Who'd have thought T-Mobile would be the best?

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using HowardForums

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,697
    Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quit crying OP.. You are in Panama City, one of the south's biggest beach towns in the summer. Of course your data speeds are gonna suck.

    There are only about 1- 200,000 extra people in the city, that arent there usually for the summer season..


    Its not Verizon's fault they plan for 9 months out of the year...


    I live in Tallahassee 2.5 hours away and the network is ROCK SOLID. I get 2.5 Megs 3G speed down at my house, and dont have issues anywhere.


    Your data speed problems are due to the fact that its a beach town in Florida in the Summer... when all of the snowbirds leave in october and all of those condos and hotels empty out the speeds should be just fine.


    Seriously quit whining about your toy anyways.. you dont need internet 24x7, get wifi.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA & Sherbrooke, QC
    Posts
    500
    Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    Well well well. Welcome to our world. You find it hard to believe those Verizon 3G speeds are still around? I'm guessing then you choose to ignore all of us that have been saying for awhile that they are. Because we deal with those speeds every day. And I for one am not anywhere near FL..

    That fact you couldn't believe this crap was still around with Verizon 3G shows a lot of blindness going on then on your part. This is nothing new nor nothing surprising.
    Lonely over in the ATT forum or something? People with nothing better to do than troll forums waving their fanboi flag are pathetic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    Quit crying OP.. You are in Panama City, one of the south's biggest beach towns in the summer.
    <snip>
    Seriously quit whining about your toy anyways.. you dont need internet 24x7, get wifi.
    I was thinking the same thing... Go out and enjoy the beach. Get laid. I'd be happy to be there and have no cell service at all.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,413
    Device(s)
    Moto Z Play with Mophie battery pack (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yeah when VZW speed gets bad, it's really bad.

    I agree with others. Have fun at the beach. Your signal probably really degraded from everyone nearby using a smartphone and there's not a lot you can do.

    Sent from my VZW Thunderbolt.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,306
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    Quit crying OP.. You are in Panama City, one of the south's biggest beach towns in the summer. Of course your data speeds are gonna suck.

    There are only about 1- 200,000 extra people in the city, that arent there usually for the summer season..


    Its not Verizon's fault they plan for 9 months out of the year...


    I live in Tallahassee 2.5 hours away and the network is ROCK SOLID. I get 2.5 Megs 3G speed down at my house, and dont have issues anywhere.


    Your data speed problems are due to the fact that its a beach town in Florida in the Summer... when all of the snowbirds leave in october and all of those condos and hotels empty out the speeds should be just fine.


    Seriously quit whining about your toy anyways.. you dont need internet 24x7, get wifi.
    Really? Sorry but places like NYC have way more people in a dense area with LESS spectrum. Verizon has both 850 blocks and some PCS. And also wifi?

    I don't pay $350+ a month for my family plan + data card to have to use wifi. Which also WONT help me hold onto a call for more than a second. We can't even stay in touch with each other.

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using HowardForums

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,838
    Device(s)
    Motorola Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    You mentioned that you are on the 20th floor of a building, that does not help. Your issues at your condo are probably caused by pilot pollution. Basically, that means that on CDMA, the phone sees too many towers and gets confused, making calls and data very difficult. I suggest a network extender for that area.
    As for slow data around town, that has happened in a lot of area. If Panama City an LTE area? If so, upgrade! If no, wait for the LTE switch, things will probably improve then.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,697
    Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by locust43 View Post
    Really? Sorry but places like NYC have way more people in a dense area with LESS spectrum. Verizon has both 850 blocks and some PCS. And also wifi?

    I don't pay $350+ a month for my family plan + data card to have to use wifi. Which also WONT help me hold onto a call for more than a second. We can't even stay in touch with each other.

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using HowardForums
    Yea Really... like I said when its the other 9 months out of the year the network is fine there i bet supporting the 50,000 residents..

    Networks plan for 90% of the time, not an extra 300,000 people there all summer.

    Its the same as road construction, they dont plan for peak times like rush hour..... Deal with it, or switch carriers.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,697
    Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    The way I look at 3G is this.. Its a toy... Useful and fun to use if ur out and about.... worth the money monthly for uncertain speeds? probably not... but this is america and we pay for entertainment.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,697
    Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    Most of your problem in the condo tower is you are above the cell sites which broadcast out then down........ you are above them and can see probably 10- 15 sites on the beach and are constantly switching cells up that high..

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,306
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    You mentioned that you are on the 20th floor of a building, that does not help. Your issues at your condo are probably caused by pilot pollution. Basically, that means that on CDMA, the phone sees too many towers and gets confused, making calls and data very difficult. I suggest a network extender for that area.
    As for slow data around town, that has happened in a lot of area. If Panama City an LTE area? If so, upgrade! If no, wait for the LTE switch, things will probably improve then.
    Dropped calls are happening from the street level

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using HowardForums

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,306
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    Yea Really... like I said when its the other 9 months out of the year the network is fine there i bet supporting the 50,000 residents..

    Networks plan for 90% of the time, not an extra 300,000 people there all summer.

    Its the same as road construction, they dont plan for peak times like rush hour..... Deal with it, or switch carriers.
    Right. Except this has been happening even in winter. Its not the rush of people. Its since they "integrated" the Alltel network.

    And they sure do plan for heavy usage like this. Any competent wireless carrier does.


    Sent from my GT-I9100 using HowardForums

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,697
    Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well, obviously they dont have a huge priority on PCB... or there are lingering issues... I would continue to call CS and complain, they will let you out of contracts if you call enough times and they havent fixed it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    577
    Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Feedback Score
    0
    This is also happening just to the north in the Marianna area. It has continued to gradually get worse since last July when VZW did the conversion. I do agree that Tallahassee is rock solid but from the Jackson county line on 10 and 90 and from the Calhoun line on 20 things take a major dive and depending on the time of day your chances to make or receive calls become spotty to impossible. I would love to see them turn their PCS service back on there to handle the overflow just as they did in Tallahassee.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 08:38 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-25-2010, 11:38 AM
  3. New T-Mo 3G coverage reported in Panama city, FL
    By ChristopherMcG in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-21-2010, 03:00 PM
  4. Signing up with Verizon in neighboring city?
    By mjs31 in forum Temporary Verizon/Alltel buyout discussion forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-25-2009, 09:18 PM
  5. Iowa City area -- phone or network problem?
    By hwertz in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-07-2009, 01:17 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks