Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: is there a way to manually put the HTC Inspire into 2G mode?

Device(s)
    LG H631
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I tried that program. enabled gsm only but didn't work. stayed in hspda+ only.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It has been rooted for awhile, but it worked for me unrooted.
    The phone displays "E" or "G" and my network app confirms I'm on EDGE.

Carrier(s)
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Manual carrier selection is suppressed on iPhones as well. It's a function of the SIM, not a function of the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Manual network selection and forcing phones to use 2G/3G are a part of the same feature set that AT&T doesn't want its end users to access themselves.
    Well, that is weird. I think all of the unbranded phones (Nokias, SE, HTC) that I have owned seem to "ignore" the sim card and allow manual selection of 2G/3G. Most of the unbranded phones seem to "ignore" the sim card and allow manual network selection. My N95-4 however, would "obey" the ATT sim and not allow manual network selection while it would allow manual network selection with a T-mobile sim. The E71-2 would always allow manual network selection. I think the phone's firmware has more to do with these functions than the instructions given by the sim.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by wlo8 View Post
    Well, that is weird. I think all of the unbranded phones (Nokias, SE, HTC) that I have owned seem to "ignore" the sim card and allow manual selection of 2G/3G. Most of the unbranded phones seem to "ignore" the sim card and allow manual network selection. My N95-4 however, would "obey" the ATT sim and not allow manual network selection while it would allow manual network selection with a T-mobile sim. The E71-2 would always allow manual network selection. I think the phone's firmware has more to do with these functions than the instructions given by the sim.
    My post (#15) was a reference to the default AT&T preference. It's impossible for me to account for differences in what device firmware prefers since stock or hacked/modified configurations will alter this function. I had no problems with accessing such networking menus with modified Motorolas, modified HTC devices were a mixed bag for me while BBs never show advanced networking menus, even when modified.

You maybe right about the firmware, but I have seen no evidence that this is indeed true given my very mixed results.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    No, it's because AT&T has automatic load balancing between the 2G and 3G networks, so allowing users to manually select the network would completely negate that whole effort. That said, smartphones are generally allowed to attach to the fastest available network, but dumbphones can be directed to whichever network AT&T wants you to be on.
    Which is what I already said, later on in my post. Obviously they DONT want to give the customers choice in the matter since they want to balance the load themselves. So my point still stands, but next time it may be helpful to read my entire post. Clearly any phone can be directed to whichever network AT&T wants you on because around here when congestion hits, many calls including the almighty iPhone go straight to EDGE when accessing voice.

On my really old LG CU400 I can force 3G so AT&T cant tell me what I can and cant use.

Device(s)
    LG H631
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Goto the debug mode for the Inspire by dialing *#*#4636#*#* , go to Phone Information .---> Set preferred network type and set it to "GSM only" or you can go to the app store and download a utility that will do same thing as above without going into the debug menu. The default setting is "WCDMA preferred".

Rooting is only for installing stuff obtained outside the app market, installing customized roms/themes, and unlocking it.

I tried all this and got the app
    but even on GSM ONLY, it still stays in HSPDA+ mode

awww well

thnx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2