Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Those left on iDen, what industry/line of business are you using it in?

Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score

Those left on iDen, what industry/line of business are you using it in?

As there's approximately 10 million (or less) of us users left on iDen, I'm curious as to what types of businesses are still using Nextel on a daily basis.

It would be fun hearing from each of you that still uses Nextel, about your overall iDen success stories, things you don't like, as well as anything else you'd like to share...(size of fleet, etc.)

This could be fun, and of course interesting to see who all is really left that finds PTT a daily necessity.

Take care!!!

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I use my Nextels for personal use. Currently, I have two Sprint and two Nextel lines on my family share plan. My GF and I carry one of each. What I have found is that if one doesn't work, the other does. In the sticks, it's the Sprint CDMA, but in several areas of the bigger city, iDEN seems to have a more stable signal strength.

Not to mention that during larger venues that attract larger crowds, my iDEN phones can actually be used (if the phone doesn't, there's always PTT). Not as crowded on iDEN in Madison, WI any more.

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/6.1.25376/25.677; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Yeh I love going to sport events and concerts and nobody can text, talk or facebook. But I can and if I can't I can definitely DC. Qchat failed everytime there. Sprint's roaming is the only real time I use my sprint phones but that isn't too often. Lately I haven't had luck with the phones ringing while roaming. I think they have changed some agreements up. I can still call out but incoming goes to VM and the incoming is the only reason I would need it , so they are getting worthless for me.

Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Excellent points, success in using at event venues. Looking for more insight from others regarding what your business does with Nextel, etc.

Keep em coming, let's keep this thread alive!

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    PM im gonna reactivate my i870 for direct connect today..

Wanna hit me up PM me ur DC number if ya wanna chat.

Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Gorilla, are you going to set it up on Boost? Just PM me your DC number and first name after you get it activated and I'll get you in my phone and we'll chat.

Back to the thread.....so 'Nextel'lians, what line of work are you in that's still hanging on to Nextel and the Direct Connect feature ??

Device(s)
    Iphone X Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo
    Feedback Score
    Still on Nextel because of International Direct Connect. Calling a cell in Brazil during peak times is impossible. With PTT it goes thru all the time. Also what other company could offer an unlimited voice via PTT when roaming outside the US for 10 dollars a month.

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    Public Safety - use it to coordinate with other radio techs from other agencies when configuring interoperability systems. We have to be able to talk to each other while setting up the equipment that allows the other folks to communicate. It will be real difficult to do this when this network is gone.

Device(s)
    Motorola Titanium
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    We still use Nextel at a tire company in MI. We do a lot of service calls to constructions sites and is handy to get a hold of contractors with direct connect. All the service guys still used nextel but owners use evo's. we probably have 20 iden and 5 cdma lines approximately.

Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Tire sales, interesting use. That's good that a bulk of your customers are still on iDen. Must be a lot of users still using it heavy up in Michigan. Not much obvious use of it here in Iowa these days. Still works GREAT though.

Thanks for sharing and keep em coming guys........

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S III (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by en4rcer View Post
    I use my Nextels for personal use. Currently, I have two Sprint and two Nextel lines on my family share plan. My GF and I carry one of each. What I have found is that if one doesn't work, the other does. In the sticks, it's the Sprint CDMA, but in several areas of the bigger city, iDEN seems to have a more stable signal strength.

Not to mention that during larger venues that attract larger crowds, my iDEN phones can actually be used (if the phone doesn't, there's always PTT). Not as crowded on iDEN in Madison, WI any more.
    Why not just switch to another carrier that has better coverage in your area to avoid the need to carry around and pay for two devices each?

Quote Originally Posted by boss_hog View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/6.1.25376/25.677; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Yeh I love going to sport events and concerts and nobody can text, talk or facebook. But I can and if I can't I can definitely DC. Qchat failed everytime there. Sprint's roaming is the only real time I use my sprint phones but that isn't too often. Lately I haven't had luck with the phones ringing while roaming. I think they have changed some agreements up. I can still call out but incoming goes to VM and the incoming is the only reason I would need it , so they are getting worthless for me.
    That's a good point for a couple years ago, but now, carriers prepare for large events. I know AT&T and Verizon prepped well for the Super Bowl earlier this year and I didn't hear any issues like before where people were unable to send text messages.

- VDubb

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    VDubb - Very good question about switching. Here's my answer (or perhaps more of an excuse). I like to have two separate wireless carriers, just in case one would go down, get saturated, or the handset would meet an untimely death by drowning.

As far as carriers preparing for large events, that may be true in big cities, but not entirely true in Madison, WI. US Cellular lays down a COW for our largest venue, but even with the COW, USCC still gets overloaded. (In this example, Madison has a population of roughly 210,000 and 250,000 all show up at once for the annual fireworks show.). I know the University of WI stadium (Camp Randall) has what I believe are called picocells permanently deployed in/near the stadium. I don't know which carriers or if those picocells are live all the time or not. After the fireworks, I know all the carriers were playing catch-up with texts for almost an hour!

Anyway, the most cost effective way for me to have two separate phones from two carriers was to do Sprint & Nextel, as I can have them all on one family plan. Since Sprint/Nextel are one big happy family.

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote Originally Posted by VDubb
    Quote Originally Posted by en4rcer View Post

Why not just switch to another carrier that has better coverage in your area to avoid the need to carry around and pay for two devices each?

Quote Originally Posted by boss_hog View Post

That's a good point for a couple years ago, but now, carriers prepare for large events. I know AT&T and Verizon prepped well for the Super Bowl earlier this year and I didn't hear any issues like before where people were unable to send text messages.

- VDubb
    I surely haven't seen evidence of that in my area or in charlotte, Columbia, darlington or charleston. I've found that there is no carrier that provides coverage everywhere I go and with my business I have to be connected always. Having multiple phones is also good for if one goes out (physical damage,software failures,combination of dead battery and broken charger) as electronics are man made destructible items and I have the need to be in touch.

Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Interesting stories so far on where and how Nextel iDen Direct Connect is still alive and being used daily. Keep em' coming. *BUMP*

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.685; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Just was on a job were the fence company all had i686 . Doesnt seem they are going anywhere soon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast