Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Those left on iDen, what industry/line of business are you using it in?

Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boss_hog View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.685; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Just was on a job were the fence company all had i686 . Doesnt seem they are going anywhere soon
    Thanks for the report, Yet another industry they're used in. That's what I like about this thread....reporting sightings or personal work experience.

As for anyone on Nextel going anywhere, there's all the hype about it being shutdown in 2013. However a lot of unanswered questions come as to what Sprint is going to do for Nextel customers to get them to switch. Are they going to hold out a while and see if the new PTT (Qchat2) takes off without a hitch and then offer free equipment subsidies to get users to switch over? (So, in that case, what types of incentives will be offered to make someone really want to switch from something that's already meeting their business needs?)

Not to forget there are people out there with i686 (as mentioned above) and other new handsets, such as the Motorola Titanium that was just released. What do they intend to do with people, wait for them to complete their 2 year contract that would put them into 2013, meaning they're soon going to have to quit selling iDen phones, come Q4...to account for the time frame those contracts would be ending?

With the questionable quality quality of Kyocera lurking in peoples minds when it comes to the new CDMA PTT, and an unannounced Motorola PTT Smartphone coming, this just continues to bring a lot of uncertainty and without a doubt, a lot of unanswered questions.

As always, anyone with additional comment, additional questions, as well as sightings and personal work experience using Nextel is welcome. Lets keep the iDen discussion alive, as we have seen some personal accounts that it's still being used today quite heavily.

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.685; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

They will probably wait at least a year to see how well it works before they even consider canceling the sales of iden handsets. That is if they had any sense.just like with qchat they were so hyped in the beginning because they got so many to try it, then when a bulk of those compainies switched providers they backed up on it
    Last edited by boss_hog; 07-26-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play Droid
    Carrier(s)
    The big V
    Feedback Score
    I was at the county fair last night and could not believe the amount of "beep-beep"s that I heard. 'Course, this is one mostly hic county anyway...

Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score

Them hics have time sensative information too

Device(s)
    Kyocera DuraXT-Primary
    Carrier(s)
    NEXTEL-DONE
    Feedback Score

Nextel in NYC

Still using Nextel here in the Big Apple.we are a small Upholstery buisness.What keeps me in is the i580 Built like a Rock,I have also learned how to take them apart & repair them.wont have a shattered screen like an iphone /android.But seeing nextels here few and far between,if i do hear the"chirp" it will most likely be a truck driver/car service/taxi kind of service.it is used for fast,short communications, from what I see left out there.
    Leaving Brooklyn? FUGGEDDABOUDDIT!

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by en4rcer View Post
    VDubb - Very good question about switching. Here's my answer (or perhaps more of an excuse). I like to have two separate wireless carriers, just in case one would go down, get saturated, or the handset would meet an untimely death by drowning.

As far as carriers preparing for large events, that may be true in big cities, but not entirely true in Madison, WI. US Cellular lays down a COW for our largest venue, but even with the COW, USCC still gets overloaded. (In this example, Madison has a population of roughly 210,000 and 250,000 all show up at once for the annual fireworks show.). I know the University of WI stadium (Camp Randall) has what I believe are called picocells permanently deployed in/near the stadium. I don't know which carriers or if those picocells are live all the time or not. After the fireworks, I know all the carriers were playing catch-up with texts for almost an hour!

Anyway, the most cost effective way for me to have two separate phones from two carriers was to do Sprint & Nextel, as I can have them all on one family plan. Since Sprint/Nextel are one big happy family.
    I am in Milwaukee and USC, Verizon, and Sprint rarely get overloaded here to the point of where they cant be used. Good example would be Summerfest. In the past, AT&T and T-Mobile always fail, but the other carriers still work... must be a CDMA thing.

I was still hitting speeds of 10mbps with Verizon 4G at Summerfest with crowds so big you couldn't move anywhere.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2