Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Shutting down 2G in Mississippi

Feedback Score

Shutting down 2G in Mississippi

Has anybody heard anything about at&t shutting down there 2g AUG 3rd

Feedback Score
    Just checked in with Att after hours gophone customer care. 2G is not being messed with in Mississippi for the foreseeable future. Just checked with postpaid CS. Ditto.

Device(s)
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    Carrier(s)
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    That would be a disaster. So many 2g tracfones use only 2g a lot of phones would stop working.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using HowardForums
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Parts of southern Alabama just north of the Florida Panhandle are 3G only.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have confirmed it with a local AT&T store rep. here in Southaven...the vast majority of AT&T 2G towers in the area will be shut down here within the next few days. I first heard about it on the local news, and since I have H2O wireless I had to travel over to the store to ask about it.

EDIT: The reason I was told for the 2G towers shutting down is so they can be converted to 3G as well as start to add HSDPA in the busier cities like the Desoto County area, Tupelo, Oxford, Jackson, Biloxi, Hattiesburg, Columbus, etc.

Feedback Score
    Today we had a lot of net10 customers come in with there phone off and they told them they will have go to 3g phone

Feedback Score
    Bad news. I hate the fact that Att prepaid has expanded coverage in its former bald areas via 3G only (economic choice based on former Alltel cdma divestiture areas, easier to overlay 3gsm then to convert cdma to 2gsm. Bell/Telus in Canada and Softbank in Japan were able to add iphone 3G and later to their cdma networks by doing a 3gsm overlay in the same way...)

2Gsm is the universal world standard for phone technology. With Att going to its own proprietary 3Gsm channels in that area, there will be tons of great useless phones that are 2G only...

Wonder how far they are going to go with this and how fast...

Btw, it's REALLY IDIOTIC that they didn't give more fair warning...
    REALLY dumb.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    @fonesfonz, I couldn't agree with you more...I know a LOT of older folks in the area who all use old pre-3G Nokia candybar style phones and wouldn't trade them for the world, even if offered a new fancy smartphone. I have a customer and friend in the neighborhood who still uses an older Nokia phone on AT&T postpaid, and they just received a letter in the mail from AT&T this past week in regards to the 2G towers being phased out. The letter also said they could bring it to their local AT&T corporate store and receive one from a list of dumbphones free of charge. I believe she also has the option of upgrading to a smartphone with a generous discount, but would be locked into a contract if one of the free phones was not chosen.

Come to think of it, I know someone still using a 2G iPhone on AT&T, and I don't feel like even the very first iPhone is archaic in any way...so basically they're going to end up having to upgrade to an iPhone 3GS/4 and locking back into another 2 year contract just to continue service (or buy a cheap 3G GoPhone and go back to the stone ages). This is not a good move for AT&T right now.

Feedback Score

One way to stave off 2G death in Mississippi...

Unlock all those older Nokias via all the free unlock calculators online and use them on Tmobile till (if and I'm hoping it gets KILLED) the Att juggernut takes over.

If these folks are out of contract, Tmobile offers 2g roaming which Att does not. Att offers no roaming or extended coverage to its basic 2g network via proprietary Att 3G channels only. Tmobile prepaid would be an option for some as well as talk/text only gsm carriers that allow byod like Spot mobile (which WON'T have Att 2G roaming in those areas.

I checked with Att prepaid AND Postpaid and google for more on this and nothing. I get denials, or it's going to continue at 2G or we don't know yet/no info at this time, etc.

Let's cut to the chase, how much of their 2G network are they going to replace and where on a national level andhow and when. A LOT of questions arise from this.

If Att does this nationally, they will VASTLY reduce the number of compatible handsets with their network 2G, 3G or not. ALL Tmobile handsets would be useless whether 2G or 3G unlocked or not.

As a strong proponent of byod, this is a disturbing change. You'd think they'd leave 2G as a backbone in case 3G got screwed up. Verizon saying 3g is dead by 2013 I think is too fast a transition too.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The 3G network is not proprietary. It uses the same technology used for WCDMA in all parts of the world. The only difference is that AT&T uses 850 and 1900 MHz.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Where does that leave EDGE? I've seen positions taken that EDGE is 2G, 2.5G and that it's 3G from different people & websites.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    ditto what efparri said, UMTS/HSPA at 850 or 1900mhz is in no way proprietary.

Yes, sorry but the iphone 2G was technologically obsolete at release. GSM is no longer the world standard, it is an obsolete technology that is still widely deployed. I'm not for "tear it down as fast as possible, it's obsolete!!" but this is AT&T, they stopped selling TDMA phones before they'd even finished rolling out GSM. These transition bumps seem par for the course for them.

Honestly, the big mistakes are
    1) Not sending some mass text to tell people this is happening. I mean, to the point that people call in and *they* don't know? Bleh. This is really a big mistake.

2) If they have the spectrum they should run skeleton GSM (for instance with a cellular block, it's like 22mhz so with full HSPA deployment they will have 2mhz left over anyway.) I can see reasons for not doing this, if they can't just slip a GSM channel card in than it may take too much space to keep a whole block of GSM hardware for a few channels. And obviously if they had 10 or 20mhz PCS, they'd have 0 left over after HSPA is rolled out.

edit: What happens to EDGE? That leaves EDGE dead in the water. It's not 3G, people used to claim that using the same logic they use now to claim HSPA is 4G, and "fractional Gs" are a fantasy where people say an update to a 2G technology is "2.5" or say updates to a 3G tech are "3.5", "3.75", etc. It's an upgraded 2G tech, and if GSM goes it goes.

(Originally both 1x and EDGE were claimed to be 3G, the cutoff was set at 128kbps. People basically changed their minds when they realized they just weren't enough faster to enable radically new services.. also, they were not that technologically distinct from the GSM/GPRS and CDMA/IS95 tech they were based on.)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Att is being the evil empire that it is.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You guys are going to love AT&T for this one...earlier this afternoon we had an AT&T company van pull in to our driveway and come to the front door to ask us if they minded if they parked their van overnight in front of our house at the curb. I live about 200 yards from the closest AT&T tower (just across the street) and the curb in front of my house is the closest place you can park from that tower. I made it a point to ask why, and I was told specifically "We're getting ready to upgrade the hardware to improve data speeds around the city." THEN I asked them if the 'upgrade' would affect my mother's old 2G Nokia flip-phone (which I was lying about - she really uses an original Droid on Page Plus) and their response was "no sir, if anything her signal will be improved dramatically."

Fast forward to 3 hours later when they finish the upgrades and park the truck for the night in front of my house. I shove my H2O wireless SIM card into an older Panasonic cell phone I've had for years and check the signal. Before the upgrade I had the full 5 bars no matter where in the house I was standing...and now the same phone inside my home doesn't even pick up the AT&T network at all. It was not until I went outside and walked down the street about 1/4th of a mile before I finally picked up a signal and had 1 bar. I did see two bars at one point, but it only lasted for about 5 seconds.

They obviously disabled their 2G radios on that cell tower...and here within the next few days that phone will become useless. Not only that though, they actually jumped the gun on their supposed schedule too.

Feedback Score
    Looks like ebay is going to get a deluge of 2gsm phones listed in the Mississippi area.
    "Improved dramatically." For who , the bean counters at Att?

Jerks. It will truly be a mess if they take over Tmobile.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast