Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Airave firmware change for boost mobile?

Feedback Score

Airave firmware change for boost mobile?

Airave firmware change for boost mobile?

Could this be done?

Please explain what the airave is doing. I believe it is acting like a mini tower through the internet to provide in home coverage.

TIA

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    This product is only available for Sprint customers.

The Airave completes firmware upgrades automatically. There are no sources to do it yourself.

And if its not on a Sprint account, its not going to work for you at all anyways.
    "Please silence your Cellular Phone, the movie is about to begin"

Feedback Score
    Here is my experience with a Sprint Airave and Virgin Mobile. I have had Sprint forever and recently got a Airave. We then added a Virgin Mobile phone to the household. Sure enough, when near the Airave, the Virgin phone was unusable. Frustrated, I sent a email to Virgin support. I got a pretty worthless reply telling me that basically there isn't anything they can do and I should keep the Virgin phone as far away as possible from the Airave. Then the interesting thing happened. The next morning, I rebooted the Virgin phone amd suddenly I had full bars. Somehow the Virgin phone is now working with the Airave. I have no other explanation, but I am guessing that Virgin/Sprint did something that allowed the phone to work with the Airave. I'm not complaining. I am in an area where Sprint only gives me about one bar, with the Airave I have full bars. The Virgin phone also had pretty poor reception and now has full reception inside.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I didn't think it was possible for a VM phone to work with an Airave unless they recently changed that. In the past they were always incompatible. When attempting to place a call you would hear a message that you are within a private network (or something like that).
    Sprint user since 1997

Feedback Score
    I wish I knew more about this. Odd also is that with the Sprint phone I get three beeps when a call connects. With the Virgin phone I do not. But Sprint reception in my house is anywhere between one bar and no reception at all. It was the same with the Virgin phone in the beginning. Now I have full bars on the VM phone. Maybe a glitch? I don't know...

Feedback Score
    I know that anyone with a sprint phone can use the airrave, so I dont think it is phone sensitive but provider sensitive.

To get this right though, you are saying that both phones are using the signal booster but only the sprint phone beeps?
    Last edited by jdrogers84; 09-24-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Feedback Score
    Correct, both the Sprint phones and the VM phone have full reception which could only be from the Airave. As soon as I turn off the Airave, all phones go to about one bar or no reception depending on where they are in the house. And yes, with the Sprint phones, we get three beeps when they connect, with the VM phone I do not hear three beeps. The VM phone is a Optimus V by the way.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I have a CBeyond (Sprint mvno) Blackberry as well as my Epic 4G... both work just fine with the Airave and get beeps. Have also had friends over with the Boost blackberry, and it works fine as well.

Never tried it with VM, but I assume if CBeyond and Boost both work, any Sprint MVNO should as well. This may have been how it was in the beginning, but I have never witnessed it.

I can't imagine that Sprint would make their MVNO customers tell users "oh just stay away from there" when there's no way to know if you're in range of an Airave.
    --Nat

Feedback Score

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by michi098 View Post
    Here is my experience with a Sprint Airave and Virgin Mobile. I have had Sprint forever and recently got a Airave. We then added a Virgin Mobile phone to the household. Sure enough, when near the Airave, the Virgin phone was unusable. Frustrated, I sent a email to Virgin support. I got a pretty worthless reply telling me that basically there isn't anything they can do and I should keep the Virgin phone as far away as possible from the Airave. Then the interesting thing happened. The next morning, I rebooted the Virgin phone amd suddenly I had full bars. Somehow the Virgin phone is now working with the Airave. I have no other explanation, but I am guessing that Virgin/Sprint did something that allowed the phone to work with the Airave. I'm not complaining. I am in an area where Sprint only gives me about one bar, with the Airave I have full bars. The Virgin phone also had pretty poor reception and now has full reception inside.

Do you know how you turned the phone off or what you used for apps that day
    eg. did you turn it off when it was on a webpage

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    I can't imagine that Sprint would make their MVNO customers tell users "oh just stay away from there" when there's no way to know if you're in range of an Airave.
    --Nat
    VM phones absolutely did not work with the Airave. At least not from 2008-2010 when I tested them. You would hear a message to move away from the private network and you were screwed unless you did. Not sure if Sprint has changed this recently.

Feedback Score
    precedent airave test anyone????

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Maybe it has to do with the class of MVNO?

I can tell you for an absolute fact that CBeyond and Boost work... don't know anyone with a VM phone that I could try.

Maybe the reason is that CBeyond paid up since they are a business provider, and Boost was fully owned by Sprint? I know VM used to not be fully owned by Sprint, but they are as of a year or 2 ago...

--Nat

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by limo4rent View Post
    Do you know how you turned the phone off or what you used for apps that day
    eg. did you turn it off when it was on a webpage
    Honestly, it was the first night I had it. I was installing all sorts of new apps, but nothing to do with phone capabilities. And I probably had the browser closed when I turned the phone off for the night. The VM phone still works great with the Airave by the way. And still no three beeps.

Device(s)
    2 iPhones are better than one. Twice the fun. Ask anyone.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I know our Boost Android phone (whatever it's called) does not work with it in our office... it simply ignores it.

I have a "Boosted" Evo and a VM Optimus V I will give a shot in the morning.... this is big news to me if it works!

Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When I had the Airave it would not allow Boost or Virgin users access even though I had it set as an open network.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast