Thread: Used Indulge, no "SIM" card

Feedback Score

Used Indulge, no "SIM" card

The Samsung Galaxy Indulge that I just purchased used from ebay arrived today. I got a pretty good deal for $180 shipped and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was essentially new with the original box/documentation. So I gave it a charge and it starts up no problem. Of course I didn't expect to have service on an unactivated phone but I was surprised to see these words scrolled across the lower half of my home page.

"Insert MetroPCS SIM.
    Emergency Calls Only!"

As far as I knew Metro uses CDMA, not GSM. So it shouldn't have a SIM card. But sure enough I took out the battery and was greeted by an empty SIM slot. I know some CDMA phone will have a useless SIM, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Honestly I'm not sure what to make of it. I've already contacted the seller and am awaiting his response. Can anyone tell me why this phone needs a SIM card, and am I in trouble if I can't get the original card? I've been a metro customer for 2 years and I plan on using this phone to replace my aged and beaten Messenger II. I know it may already be difficult to activate a used phone while keeping an existing number, I'm hoping this wont complicate things further.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    LTE is a GSM spec so yes a LTE phone is a gsm phone, but not GSM 2g or GSM 3g compatible. As such it uses a SIM or what they call a UICC card.

Visit you local MetroPCS store for a card I do not know the price, but buying a sim card from a T-mobile or AT&t dealer costs me 25-40 dollars so I think it would be around the same price.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, at least now I know its a UICC card and not a SIM card. Never heard of them until now. But apparently it's not like a SIM card in that it can only be used for one device. Makes me wonder why it was taken out in the first place.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    UICC is the same thing as SIM card, just another name and new features.

http://www.gemalto.com/uicc_role/

^^^ for info

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    The indulge needs the original uicc/sim card, as there is one specifically paired to that phone.
    So yes, you do need to get the original card that should've been in the phone, and no, your indulge will not work with any other uicc/sim card.
    I would contact the seller, and if you cannot get it, I'd file a dispute to get the money back, since you will not be able to have service on the phone without it.

Sent from my PC36100 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link and the valuable info Rallos.

And Ace I was afraid that I may need the original. But the ebay buyer protection is top notch and has gotten me out of jams like this before. Luckily the seller got back to me this morning and apologized for not including it. He thought it was a standard SIM card and that I would have needed to install one of my own anyway to activate it. Apparently he's already shipped it out with a 4gb micro sd card for good measure, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Indulge R910
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    lol do you mean the 4gb that comes with it when you purchase it new...
    Unlimit Yourself...MetroPCS

Feedback Score
    Probably, I could honestly care less since I already got a 16gb for it. But I guess I could use it in a psp or something.

Device(s)
    HTC Evo, Motorola Droid, HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    Hey, I'm glad the seller is shipping it to you, Because MetroPcs does not sell UICC cards, So far they only come in their 4G phones.

-------------------------------
    [HTC Evo Tapatalk App]
    -------------------------------
    ================================

-[♣]-HTC-Evo-[♣]-

-Rom: Sprint Lovers
    -Kernel: Freedom-v0.9-Aggressive [-175mV]
    -Carrier: MetroPcs-Talk-Web-Text-1x

-Recovery: ClockWorkMod
    -Hardware Version: 0004
    -PRL Version: 03022 MetroPCS Now Has 3G In Miami!

-[♣]-[JD]-[♣]-

================================

Carrier(s)
    Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    Update Old Thread not a Necro Thread either:

After talking with Corp store Metro PCS you need a new un-activated LTE SIM Card that has never been activated prior. You can not simply take another LTE SIM Card from another device and insert it and think that it is going to function.

When a new device is activated it updates that SIM Card IMEI # to the ESN # that is associated with your account #. Just like T-Mobile.

Unlike T-mobile where that number is manually updated during the activation process. Along with T-Mobile you can remove one activated SIM Card and replace it with another activated SIM Card. The IMEI of the device is stored on the account when the phone was activated and not really the SIM Card.

Device(s)
    LG Esteem
    Carrier(s)
    METRO PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep-Six View Post
    Update Old Thread not a Necro Thread either:

After talking with Corp store Metro PCS you need a new un-activated LTE SIM Card that has never been activated prior. You can not simply take another LTE SIM Card from another device and insert it and think that it is going to function.

When a new device is activated it updates that SIM Card IMEI # to the ESN # that is associated with your account #. Just like T-Mobile.

Unlike T-mobile where that number is manually updated during the activation process. Along with T-Mobile you can remove one activated SIM Card and replace it with another activated SIM Card. The IMEI of the device is stored on the account when the phone was activated and not really the SIM Card.
    the indulge cant use any of the new cat 3 uicc that metro sells it was the first android 4g phone on metro's lineup and used an obsolete uicc. the new ones that came out after the lg esteem like the motion the connect and so on all use the latest cat 3 replacable uicc all other old android phones from the lg esteem and below does not!
    Musician and Producer at chosen-1-records check out some of my work @ http://soundcloud.com/chosen-1-records