Thread: Google's purchase of Motorola gives webOS an great opportunity

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score

Google's purchase of Motorola gives webOS an great opportunity

Android's got a lot of things wrong with it, there are IP concerns, privacy concerns, security and malware concerns, and it looks like the manufacturers were starting to feed on each other. I'm pretty sure the main motivation of buying Motorola was to prevent an Android manufacturer from collecting royalties from other Android manufacturers. That would have just killed Android and nobody would have had any confidence in Google protecting them. That also shows what precarious ground Android is in.

webOS for end users offers a lot that Android does - it's not Apple and it's not Microsoft, and it is Linux based, so more open than those two. It has a much better interface than Android as well, without any of the IP or privacy concerns either. It's also a good option for manufacturers if HP were to license it. Android is now questionable, as Motorola undoubtedly will get preferential treatment. Windows Phone isn't quite so certain either as there's less differentiation available, and everyone wonders about Nokia getting special deals. Obviously HP has the edge with webOS, but it makes more sense to diversify the portfolio to include Android, webOS and Windows Phone, so if any of them lose viability there's always something else to fall back on.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile HTC HD2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

web Who?

Hewlett Packard, the world's largest PC maker, has announced plans to spin off its PC business and scrap its recently acquired webOS smartphone and tablet business to focus on software and services.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._software.html
    United States of America 1776 - 2001 RIP

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Considering that HP is planning to exit the webOS hardware business, the only way they can profit from webOS now would be to license it, and I certainly hope that they do. WebOS is a great mobile OS that was bungled by incompetent people who had no idea how to treat it properly (creepy albino girl ads, crappy Pre, slightly less crappy Pre Plus, underpowered Pixi, teeny-tiny-WTF-were-they-thinking Veer).

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Let's explore some potential suitors for WebOS. I'm about companies that would purchase WebOS and or license it. But before I start we need to address IP concerns. Just because WebOS hasn't had any yet doesn't mean it won't. After all WebOS has virtually no marketshare. So if you're a competitor why would you bother trying to get your lawyers to kill it, there are bigger fish to worry about first.

Let's start with Samsung. I think WebOS could be a good fit for Samsung. They have their own proprietary OS Bada - while it was a nice first try WebOS would be a very nice fit for them. I think one of the main reasons why Samsung made bada was to a) use it on their 'dumb' phones eventually, b) strip it down and use it on their other devices - I'm thinking home appliances, tv's that sort of thing. in that respect WebOS may be too heavy to replace Bada. Of course Samsung has the engineering skill to create new WebOS models quickly. When the iPhone came out look at how quickly they had an iPhone like model (I forget the name - was it the Samsung Rampage?). This is a stark contrast from HP would took months and months and all they could come up with was the warmed over Pre 2, Veer and Touchpad. If Samsung can make WebOS work they'd also be totally vertically integrated. They'd make the flash memory, screen and other key hardware, design the devices to use it plus the software to work with it. Can you imagine that level of optimization?

WebOS could be a good choice for HTC too. Now that Google bought Motorola Mobility HTC might be a little worried about Google eventually competing with them on the hardware side eventually. There's also the Microsoft-Nokia angle. Rumors of Microsoft buying Nokia come up every now and then. If it were to happen HTC would have a lot to lose. Also, as far as Android manufacturers goes HTC (and Samsung) are 2 companies which many consumers perceive as leaders in the mobile space and have a strong brands to launch a 'new' platform... When you think about it, who wanted a phone from HP? A company with very little heritage in the mobile space.

Other Android OEM's like LG, Sony Ericsson lack the brand perception to launch a new brand. And example is that while LG and SE make good handsets; feature for feature they have to charge less than the equivalent Samsung or HTC phone.

Looking outside the mobile space there's Intel which is sort of itching to have their own platform. After their failed venture with Nokia (Meego) they might consider WebOS. Of course Intel only designs x86 processors and WebOS runs on ARM so who knows how that would work out.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 rooted running custom ROM, LG V20 bog stock (no root alas :-( )
    Carrier(s)
    Wind (Mobilicity before December/14)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    ....WebOS may be too heavy to replace Bada. ....
    And THAT sums up WebOS's death knell in a nutshell. We DO all remember those first WebOS phones from early 2010, right? The ones that felt terribly slow running WebOS on hardware that was roughly equivalent to the contemporary first-generation Droid phones running Android Eclair? WebOS is never going to be a competitor for cheap-phone OS's like Bada or Brew, and it will always suffer when its speed is compared head to head against everything else, with the possible exception of Windows Phone.

The mobile space has devolved into a two-horse race, with Windows having an outside shot to turn it into a three-way race only due to having Microsoft's deep pockets behind it, as well as all those Microsoft ecosystem developers with the requisite C#/.Net skills. There is simply no market for WebOS, BlackBerry or Meego. Period. History has passed all three platforms by. No developer in his right mind should waste any time with any of them.

WebOS's sole remaining value is in its patent portfolio and any intellectual property that can be used on other platforms. Perhaps Google, Apple or Microsoft might pick up what's left, in order to bolster themselves in the neverending patent wars we will be seeing in the mobile space for the foreseeable future.

RIP, WebOS. Yes, it's a shame, but it IS over. Time to move on.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    I think you're right about Samsung and HTC, but I think HTC probably wants it more. Samsung has been hiring a lot of talent lately, so they've got the ability to build their own OS in house, that they can take some time to release that doesn't have the reputation of two false starts that webOS does. HTC doesn't really have anything, but they do have the ability to put out some good devices fast, and at a decent price.

I think LG also has a shot, they're fast creeping up on Samsung and HTC as far as having a good reputation as a new brand, and given they were toying with the idea of going to MeeGo, they might consider webOS to be a viable option. LG also isn't really invested in a UI overlay, while HTC is really invested in Sense, that they even stuck it in as an app in Windows Phone. They can't really Sense-ify webOS, as it has a completely different UI. Samsung's also working on their TouchWiz UI across the board, and while they're putting up with Windows Phone being standard, I doubt they're too happy about it.

LG's the one fairly large company that isn't already invested in a particular UI overlay that could make it work.