Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WebOS is DONE!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

WebOS is DONE!

Looks like HP is making a complete exit, shutting down operations for all WebOS hardware:

http://allthingsd.com/20110818/break..._yahoo_ticker#

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wow. Can't say I'm surprised, but talk about a crying shame. There were some good things about WebOS and I think with a better vision and management, it could have been a contender. It was just taking so long to come to market and the Touchpad didn't make any impact on the market. They should have pushed out some phones first using 3.0 and then come in with a tablet.
    Dustin
    dustoman(at)gmail(dot)com

My Apps via AppBrain

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If HP had put as much effort into getting the Pre3 out as they did with the TouchPad that nobody wanted, they might have had a better chance. WebOS fans have been screaming for the Pre3 and instead got the Veer and still no solid release info for the North American market.

It's sad to see a good OS get thrown to the wayside by poor marketing and hardware decisions. Palm (and later HP) had a good thing with webOS and they blew it while it still had a shot. Hopefully HP will license it to companies that will actually pair it with some decent hardware.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Such a shame. I'd say stock WebOS is more polished than stock Android.

While I'd pick an Android phone over a Pre or a Veer I prefer WebOS over Android when it comes to Tablets.

As a Nokia fan I've always lamented the fact that they didn't go after Palm.

*edit*

I'm sure this also has something to do with HP wanting to sell their low margin PC business and focus on services (similar to what IBM did years ago). As much as I love WebOS it would have been a big minus to any potential suitors.

Hopefully HP will find someone to pick up WebOS or even make it open source.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    Yeah, it would be great if HP passed WebOS on to a party more willing to push it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well there are some Android parters out there now probably feeling a bit burned by the Google/Motorola deal that might be willing to take on webOS. I'd love to see Samsung or HTC do something with it.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Maybe Samsung could dump bada and use webos instead.

Quote Originally Posted by frail View Post
    Well there are some Android parters out there now probably feeling a bit burned by the Google/Motorola deal that might be willing to take on webOS. I'd love to see Samsung or HTC do something with it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Maybe Samsung could dump bada and use webos instead.
    If HP has any hope of keeping the webOS software alive, they'll license it quickly. Otherwise what's left of the webOS developer community is going to go elsewhere (if they haven't already).

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Samsung's hiring a ton of talent in the Linux community, it seems like they're planning on using Android and Windows Phone until they can put out something of their own that they control, and likely bada will grow into that (like a swelling wave)

I think HTC stands the most to gain out of acquiring webOS, Samsung might be in a situation like Nokia where they're focusing on their own thing.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Feedback Score
    When i heard the news of the WebOS device discontinue i thought "I thought so" HP bought Palm in the after thought of they throwing money into it and it'll be a instant Android or even iOS killer. Some people could feel that 2 yrs after Palm got acquired that everything would be gone.

The Pre3 just got released YESTERDAY in the UK. I wonder how many people are completely pissed at this news.

Device(s)
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Feedback Score
    I still use and love my pre on Sprint (and my Pixi on Page Plus). I have little reason to change especially since Sprint will raise my plan by $10 if I switch to any other smartphone. My $40 smartphone plan which includes Telenav navigation and unlimited data would cost $80 on Verizon or AT&T and NOT have unlimited data....
    iPhone 7 Plus - Sprint SERO
    iPhone 6 Plus - Altice (testing)

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    well this was a bummer to read. I've always been a fan of the Pre since it first came out and was really hoping that HP would breathe some life into improving these products. Oh well. There's always Android.

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.1.25577/25.729; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Quote Originally Posted by frail
    There is no need at all for any manufacturer to feel burned by Google.

Google did not buy Motorola to compete with their friends. They bought Motorola to help protect their friends. It boggles my mind to think about all the press insinuating that Google's partners may freak out. Nonsense.

Why would Google want to suddenly crap all over a situation that has given them the lead in the world OS market? They want to protect and encourage MORE OF THE SAME.

Look for proprietary Motorola/Google items OTHER than phones. The phone market will continue to run just as it has... Android will be free and open to all. There are no favorites when it's free and open. That's how it's going to stay.
    Last edited by cellphone-guy; 08-18-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Google provided Android to protect their advertising business. The open nature of that turned out to be a disadvantage as manufacturers were sticking Bing on instead (not least of all Motorola). If you're Google, you'll want to have more way to throw your weight around to ensure that happens. They'll do more stuff like Honeycomb, where anyone who does something Google doesn't like gets delayed access to new versions, and Motorola will always be doing what Google wants, so there's always at least one manufacturer who puts stuff out on an accelerated schedule.

Carrier(s)
    ATT,
    Feedback Score
    It may survive if it was released as open source and renamed but I don't see anyone else (HTC or Samsung) wanting to associate with the WebOS brand after HP has made it their red headed stepchild. If HP had been serious about licensing it would have been in the works before they so ceremoniously stomped on the platform and abandoned it. They stamped it as a failure. It would be akin to Chevy asking Ford if they could redo the Edsel.

I think its just going to be cannibalized for the patents at this point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast