Thread: "Nokia never really wanted MeeGo to succeed.." "Symbian was a religion inside Nokia."

Carrier(s)
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score

"Nokia never really wanted MeeGo to succeed.." "Symbian was a religion inside Nokia."

Have not seen this interview posted in this forum. It appears that Nokia did not want to give up on Symbian, even at the cost of Meego not being a success. Meego was doomed even before Elop was there. According to Ari Jaaksi, ex Nokia Meego Chief. In an interview with a Finnish newspaper published this weekend, Jaaksi outlines the reasons that he left Nokia. http://gigaom.com/2011/08/22/ouch-me...okia-for-palm/ .

First, he suggests that Nokia never really wanted MeeGo to succeed, or at the very least could not wean itself off an addiction to its existing Symbian system — a “sacred cow” that took precedence at every turn.

“Symbian was a religion inside Nokia,” he told Helsingin Sanomat in an article only available in full in print but excerpted here. “The organization built around MeeGo back then made it impossible to work; I could not see how I was going to do my job.”

Although there have been plenty of reports suggesting that former Nokia boss Oli Pekka Kallasvuo had set up Symbian and MeeGo to compete with each other, Jaaksi says that he was always hampered by internal politics weighted against him — leaving him often turning up to gunfights armed with a knife.

For example, when the N900 was released in November 2009, the company’s biggest worry was not whether the product worked: “The biggest concern was how the telephone affects Symbian,” he said. “Not on how good the phone was or whether it sold.”

Feedback Score
    Maybe Ari Jaaksi thought this, but I can tell you from the front lines of Symbian development for the last 10 years that since about 2007 anything even remotely cool or interesting was not done in Symbian because the higher management wanted to make sure Maemo had all the interesting stuff. Nokia Research also concentrated mostly on Maemo stuff, because it's linux heritage made it more appealing to work on and the devices were more exciting.

Maemo is also the reason why Symbian HW was consistently canned or pruned back in almost every decision I ever saw.

The infighting worked both ways and ****ed Symbian as well since we weren't allowed to do anything which might step on Maemo's toes.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Well, at least it's coming out that it wasn't Elop who wanted it to fail, it's that the culture of both was rotten to the core because of previous mismanagement. Going to something completely new, and external, would be the only way to get rid of the infighting and bickering.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Feedback Score
    Definitely lends some support to Elop's comments about the internal Nokia situation.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    If just looking in from the outside with an objective eye wasn't enough. As I was reading that article I was nodding along and thinking that I was complaining about that stuff years ago. Nokia was competing with itself and worrying about cannibalising their own sales (a rather odd combination of concerns), and left the market ripe for Samsung to make a killer device, like the i8510 - something everyone wished Nokia would make. It's also no small wonder that with how Nokia was fostering in-fighting that other manufacturers wanted to get as far away as possible from Symbian.

The only way for Nokia to move forward is to use Windows Phone. Had they bought webOS things may have gone well, but they could have also just screwed it up as well. Android they could have definitely screwed up by customising it. Windows Phone they have much less influence over, and therefore less ability to screw up, and it's particularly good that the contributions they'll be making will be to the entire Windows Phone ecosystem, so they bolster it instead of fragment it.