Thread: HP TouchPad Coming Back?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

HP TouchPad Coming Back?

In an interview with Reuters regarding HP's possible spinoff of its computer business, the head of HP's Personal Systems Group (PSG) Todd Bradley mentioned that the company...

...could resurrect HP's short-lived TouchPad tablet computer, which was introduced on July 1 before being terminated only about six weeks later.

"Tablet computing is a segment of the market that's relevant, absolutely," Bradley said.
    The current remaining 16GB $99 and 32GB $149 TouchPads have been selling like hotcakes since HP began its fire sale on them after announcing that it was pulling out of the webOS device business. If HP does decide to bring back the TouchPad, that could squash any rumors of Samsung's interest in webOS.

Would you like to see the TouchPad make a triumphant return?

Reuters | Via: BGR

Device(s)
    Samsumg Prevail
    Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm unsure to this comment about making a come back. I will say this, if Android's OS can be loaded, it's a good deal to buy one
    Boost Samsung S5

Device(s)
    Samsung SGHI777
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If we could still get them for that price, yes.
    (I'm a girl - well Old Lady is more like it-LOL)

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yes and No, yes I would like to see webOS make a come back but not with the present hardware and design. I think a new tablet (not named TouchPad) and new phones one being all touch and the other having some type of keyboard would be great. I think that HP may have left a bad taste in the publics mouth/mind about webOS so the if new devices come out, new names should be used. I would prefer that the HP label not be associated with it at all, IMO.
    Phone OS's used: iOS; Android; BB 6,7,10; WP 7,7.5,8
    Current phone OS's: iPhone 6 (Sprint), iPhone 7+ (AT&T)

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think it would have to come back at a much lower price point. The $499 price is up there with the iPad and Android tablets, and the TouchPad just wasn't appealing enough for consumers to pay that. At $99 or even $149, it is a much better deal.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I played with one briefly at Best Buy and while I liked it, being the nearly the same price as an iPad was non-starter for me.

Feedback Score
    No, it won't make a comeback. HPalm moves too slow. And only moves fast when they want to commit suicide. HP should have seen Web OS as a long term, slow but steady and arduous uphill battle against Ios/Android. Competing against that duopoly is no mean feat, even for Microsoft. And abandoning their nearly rabid Palm OS base /app store was also a dumb move. ALL of the old guard are trying to shed their past which is the only thing they've got going for them against Android/iphone.

They are all trying to reinvent the wheel and failing. If the old guard wanted to fight (and none of them did), they would have

1)Allowed maximum backwards compatibility with their previous version, whether allowing devices to upgrade or whether allowing older apps to be used and vice versa.
    2)Rewarded loyal customers who have stuck by them with extra goods, special services, promos, etc.
    3) Focused on their base, the business market, not the fickle consumer market.
    4)Focused on their strongpoints before the new guys caught up (Windows Mobile/Windows OS integration, Blackberry/Push email,etc).
    5)Stop trying to make a iphone killer because you can't and focus on a series of good handsets (like Verizon's Droid series) or some other differentiator. (4g/lte). If I had an OS that had to fight the iphone, I'd be pushing out tons of 4G stuff just to do what the iphone absolutely can't (at this time).
    6)Made newer versions of their OS more user friendly compared to older versions.

But they are all giving up without firing a shot or headless chickening with other big guys hoping that sheer size will halt reality (Nokia/Microsoft and HPalm of course).

But when the new kids on the block counter with the same tactics (Google/Motorola), it doesn't make it easy for the old guard.

Heck, even Samsung Bada has a bigger market share then Web/Palm OS does.

Hard to believe that in 2007 the year the iphone was born , Palm OS was the biggest smartphone OS in the world and Windows Mobile was still respectable. The funny thing is that though Android/Ios seem invincible, even they could meet an even newer generation that could run circles around them like they are doing now to the old guard (Web/Palm OS, Symbian all flavors, Windows Mobile/Phone and Blackberry).

Oh yeah, and get some GOOD apps. Doesn't have to be 250,000 with 90% +useless ones. Just a starting core of a handful of good , strong, useful apps, quantity can be made later. A market with 1000 good to great apps is worth a market with hundreds of thousands of useless ones. It doesn't hurt to make it super easy to develop and the more free apps, the better too.
    Last edited by fonezfonz; 08-30-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Device(s)
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Feedback Score
    The are making another limited production run for those that signed up on the HP site during the "notify me when back in stock" window (now closed). Delivery is several weeks away.

My guess is that it must be cheaper (or nearly a wash) to deplete the existing work in process than pay OEM contract termination penalties and/or component stock reimbursement.

It was made clear in the HP blog post that this would be the final run.

Ref:

http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/The-Nex...Way/ba-p/68749
    iPhone 7 Plus - Sprint SERO
    iPhone 6 Plus - Altice (testing)

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    @fonezfonz

Some good points, but I have a different view on some of them. (to your points as it relates to Palm)

1) While backwards compatibility was once a major thorn for WebOS, now that the original pre is falling apart after 2+ years, what users want is a pre 3 they can upgrade to. They don't care so much that the original pre OS can't be upgraded. It's a bit like expecting a Win 3.1 machine to be able to run Win XP.

Where Palm *did* fail on backwards compatibility, IMO, or shall I say capability, is in PIM area. I understand them starting out WebOS as a prosumer OS, but they never added back the "power user" PIM features that PalmOS had. (This does not apply to me, BTW, I never got that deep.) There are still, to this day, users hanging on to their PalmOS handsets waiting for *their* upgrade...at least the ones the didn't go to BB.
    2) You can't really *buy* loyalty. Just give people what they want and they will be loyal...
    3) There is a lot of crossover. Satisfy both. "Consumers/managers" with iPhones put pressure on business IT departments to allow the iPhone even though is was sorely lacking in things like MS Exchange features, MS Office, and security at first.
    4) Agreed. They were the king of the PIM at one time. They failed to leverage that legacy, abandoning their core existing user-base. That said, WebOS synergy is an advantage the old PIMs never had...
    5) I think WebOS *is* an iPhone killer from an OS standpoint. It was just too little to late and poorly executed. Moreover they constantly over-promised and under-delivered. Especially Leo's hyperbole...embarrassing...particularly in retrospect. That said. I don't see WebOS ever winning over the hard core Apple centric user base.
    6) I never heard anyone complain that WebOS was not user friendly (not counting bugs).

I think the WebOS apps are pretty good. If you were to remove all the redundant apps, how many apps does iOS *really* have? A lot of Apple apps format web site data for the iPhone and iPad to get around the fact that Apple does not support flash. Since the touchpad can display flash sites natively in the browser, there is no reason for a separate "app" version of a web site.
    Last edited by johncase3; 08-30-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cauchon View Post
    I think it would have to come back at a much lower price point. The $499 price is up there with the iPad and Android tablets, and the TouchPad just wasn't appealing enough for consumers to pay that. At $99 or even $149, it is a much better deal.
    To your point, the eBay price for the touchpad is around $250-$300. That's what people perceive the value to be...

Feedback Score
    i want the webos to go forward.
    i wana see new palm phones i want to see new tablets

Feedback Score
    only for those low price points. I would like a simple, inexpensive ereader.