Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Wifi Hotspot (tethering)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    42
    Feedback Score
    0

    Wifi Hotspot (tethering)

    You know how the Nexus S can make a Wifi Hotspot; is it possible to do the same with Nokia C7?

    Must be atleast WPA or WPA2 encryption.

    I am planning to buy a C7 but the Symbian OS doesn't look promising?

    I would have brought an Android phone, but the only 3G pentaband phones are sold by Nokia.

    And Nokia doesn't do Android.

    https://shop.windmobile.ca/ProductCa...%29&color=blue

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    472
    Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    466
    Device(s)
    N9 & N8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have been using Joikuspot on travel for a couple of weeks now. It works great. The only drawback is that it doesn't do WPA encryption. It does do WEP, however. The speeds are great. I do not leave it on all the time (only when I need it) so I haven't missed WPA all that much.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    42
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Demati View Post
    I have been using Joikuspot on travel for a couple of weeks now. It works great. The only drawback is that it doesn't do WPA encryption. It does do WEP, however. The speeds are great. I do not leave it on all the time (only when I need it) so I haven't missed WPA all that much.
    The free version has WEP encryption?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,984
    Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Symbian does not support infrastructure mode and my new Touchpad does not support ad-hoc mode.

    Bummerz

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    514
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    To elaborate on Dr. Tran's comment: Be super careful about what you need from the hotspot. Joikuspot hotspots are ad-hoc only and a lot of devices do not support this. A lot of computers also won't support this depending on security settings, like if you're on a domain or something for work. Try the free version first.

    I don't know about eZSpot. The makers of Joiku claim, again as Dr. Tran indicates, that this ad-hoc only support is a Symbian limitation but there's never really been any competing product so maybe that's a ruse? No idea. Note also that there are tons of bad reviews for eZSpot on the C7 so you might not want to risk it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    472
    Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tran View Post
    Symbian does not support infrastructure mode and my new Touchpad does not support ad-hoc mode.

    Bummerz
    It's not Symbian - it is the firmware of the WiFi chip that doesn't support infrastructure mode. So while the lack of support may be Nokia's decision (the firmware in the N900 doesn't support it either), it is not Symbian's fault.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    42
    Feedback Score
    0
    1. Can you use WPA encryption with the paid version of Joikuspot?

    2. Can you use WPA encryption with the paid version (the only version there is) of eZSpot?


    WEP encryption can be cracked in 10-15 minutes.

    Wouldn't want someone using my 3G connection (data usage fees), when I am at a single place for more than 10 minutes.

    I just want to be able to connect 2 laptops to the Wifi Hotspot with WPA encryption to a Pentaband Nokia smartphone, so I don't have to pay extra $$ for buying the Internet USB Stick + Plan.

    It seems all Pentaband phones on the market right are from Nokia and use Symbian:External link to GSMArena


    PS. See other thread I made a while back trying to find a phone that will work 3G on AWS (Wind, T-Mobile) and the equivalent 3G on CDMA and/or GSM networks. (in Canada 3G on Rogers/Telus/Bell): http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ers-Data-speed

    Thanks for your help.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    701
    Feedback Score
    0
    There is no WPA on joikuspot, only WEP. Check the home page, http://www.joiku.com/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz,Ca
    Posts
    809
    Device(s)
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    0
    I didn't know that a lot of devices out there don't support ad-hoc .. i am yet to encounter a problem with it. I've tried over 20 different devices and they all worked. Including an iphone.. most notebooks probably have support for it, which is what i've been using it for.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    701
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by go0gle View Post
    I didn't know that a lot of devices out there don't support ad-hoc .. i am yet to encounter a problem with it. I've tried over 20 different devices and they all worked. Including an iphone.. most notebooks probably have support for it, which is what i've been using it for.
    Many Android devices have ad-hoc blocked. There are some hacks out there that work on rooted devices.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    798
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have Touchpad and can't connect to N8 either through WiFi hotspot (JoikuSpot) or through Bluetooth.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    36
    Device(s)
    Nokia C7 Astound
    Carrier(s)
    T-MOBILE
    Feedback Score
    0

    C7 tethering walk through

    I tried telling my tech challenged buddy how to set up his C7 as a modem for his laptop because he has seen me do it. However he has had issues and I told him to look on the net and he kept talking about Joikuspot.... So here is a basic set up for the C7 internet tethering....

    The C7 Tethering software works fine if your just plugging your phone into a laptop with the USB cable.... you dont need Joikuspot, unless you need to use your nokia as a wifi router and connect multiple devices at once (like 2+ computers at one time).....

    To use the C7 software click on the battery icon on the top right screen, then go to the two arrows the connectivity screen. In that screen click the USB menu. You will see Nokia Ovi Suite, Mass storage, Media transfer and Conn. PC to net. Most ppl click on the connect PC to net and cant figure out why there Nokia isnt connecting to the internet. If you've connected your Nokia with the USB cable, now click the Nokia Ovi Suite option, it will load Ovi Suite onto your laptop or computer.... Once loaded on your computer look for the green Ovi icon on your desktop and open it. When it opens it will prompt you to select your country and carrier. Once you select these two options and click ok in the Ovi Suite interface (on your computer) you can now use your phone to connect to the interent. To do this go back to the connection screen (on your cell phone) in the same USB connect menu that you found the Ovi Suite connection in and NOW click Conn. Pc to Net. You will then see your computer recognize your C7 as a "Nokia C7-00 USB Modem." With that finished you can go ahead and use your cell phone as a modem and surf the internet where ever you have no wifi connection......

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    42
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by regnar11b View Post
    I tried telling my tech challenged buddy how to set up his C7 as a modem for his laptop because he has seen me do it. However he has had issues and I told him to look on the net and he kept talking about Joikuspot.... So here is a basic set up for the C7 internet tethering....

    The C7 Tethering software works fine if your just plugging your phone into a laptop with the USB cable.... you dont need Joikuspot, unless you need to use your nokia as a wifi router and connect multiple devices at once (like 2+ computers at one time).....

    To use the C7 software click on the battery icon on the top right screen, then go to the two arrows the connectivity screen. In that screen click the USB menu. You will see Nokia Ovi Suite, Mass storage, Media transfer and Conn. PC to net. Most ppl click on the connect PC to net and cant figure out why there Nokia isnt connecting to the internet. If you've connected your Nokia with the USB cable, now click the Nokia Ovi Suite option, it will load Ovi Suite onto your laptop or computer.... Once loaded on your computer look for the green Ovi icon on your desktop and open it. When it opens it will prompt you to select your country and carrier. Once you select these two options and click ok in the Ovi Suite interface (on your computer) you can now use your phone to connect to the interent. To do this go back to the connection screen (on your cell phone) in the same USB connect menu that you found the Ovi Suite connection in and NOW click Conn. Pc to Net. You will then see your computer recognize your C7 as a "Nokia C7-00 USB Modem." With that finished you can go ahead and use your cell phone as a modem and surf the internet where ever you have no wifi connection......
    I know tethering via USB works, even the cheap phones are able to tether via USB. But thanks for the info.

    I was hoping the C7 was comparable to the Nexus S, in the ability to make Mobile Hotspots.

    By the way, does the Nexus S WiFi Hotspot, able to do WPA or WPA2 encryption?

    Also have you tested tethering the C7 via Bluetooth? Does it give the 3G speed when it is tethered via Bluetooth?

    The phone is actually for my dad, and he doesn't want to connect with wires. He says he'd rather connect the huge Fido Internet Stick. That's an extra $30 per month, which I want to cancel because there is unlimited data on the voice plan with Wind Mobile.

Similar Threads

  1. Motorola Triumph Wifi Hotspot Tethering
    By pocketpenguin in forum Virgin Mobile USA
    Replies: 230
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 09:38 AM
  2. Can you do tethering or wifi hotspot on the HD7?
    By slingster in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 04:16 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2010, 01:18 PM
  4. Hotspot Tethering
    By Icyhot1966 in forum HTC
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 09:57 AM
  5. Android 2.2 To Add Tethering, Wi-Fi Hotspot
    By Antenna in forum Android OS Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2010, 05:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks